Baseball

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBIgGW

Reaction score
This is my last year of playing Baseball. I play on my varsity team and it is my senior year. 
I've played since I was a kid. From T-Ball up.
I've mostly done it on my own too. I'm like one of the only kids who doesn't have a personal trainer or anything.
I have no offers on the table from college to play. I have played since I was Five. I didn't think I was going to miss it this much. But after finishing the first half It really hit me that this is it.
I really don't know what i'll do without it

You're not the first one to be looking at leaving the game, as you have always known it.  There are other options to consider besides getting to live the dream of college ball and going pro:  amateur baseball teams that employees of businesses make up.....Ace Hardware plays Kerr Chevrolet at Duncan Field.....you probably don't even have to be an employee, if you're pretty good they'd be glad to have you.  There's always coaching or being an umpire.......in the amateur or juvenile world of sports. 
Look at it this way:  what's the percentage of guys who get the dream......10%?  Even that many?   Actually, the world of sports enthusiasm is so huge, there are plenty of ways to stay active in that world.....somehow.

So you can't play for a sanctioned school team, why does that mean you have to give it up? There are a lot of "leagues" out there that have nothing to do with schools. Look around, I'm sure there is something out there that you can join.
Are you planning to go to college? Not everyone on the teams are scholarship people. You could still play in college, you just have to try out for the team.

Yes think positive, go to college if that's doable and try out......

Speaking as an old guy, if you ever do have to leave something you love, like Baseball, keep the memories preserved in some tangible way that you can actually hold and see in the decades to come.....like pictures with attached texts in writing to remember the names, dates, places and stories........you'll be glad you did 50 years from now. Keep your uniform and mitts and other paraphernalia.....they'll be priceless to you, later on.
And if you have to say goodbye, you have my sympathies.......it's a painful thing to leave something you love.

But for sure, think positive now and go for the dream......but be ready for a possible compromise......like some other "league"......or be a mentor to the next generation.

If you plan on going to college, then try out as a "walk on."  You might stick and may become a scholarship player.  If there is a program you are interested in playing for, find a way to contact the coach or team.

I quickly found this to show you that it does happen -

"...coaches hope to hear from good athletes who are interested in their program. Some blue-chip baseball players come to their attention naturally, but often there aren’t enough blue-chip baseball players in the college's backyard (100 miles) for a coach to fill his or her roster.  Many high school baseball players don’t want to make contact with college coaches because they are afraid the coach doesn’t want to hear from them. For smaller schools, even some minor Division I schools, they need and want to hear from potential baseball recruits.  99% of all colleges or universities do not have a substantial enough baseball budget to fly around the country looking for qualified players.  Most schools depend on recruiting services, online communications, college baseball publications, showcase reports and they rely on word of mouth recruiting. The internet has made it very easy for potential recruits to make contact with them through the team website, through e-mail or through a telephone call to the baseball office."

If it's in your heart, and it sounds like it is, I think you should go for it, provided you plan on attending college.  Best of luck!

TheBIgGW said:
This is my last year of playing Baseball. I play on my varsity team and it is my senior year. 
I've played since I was a kid. From T-Ball up.
I've mostly done it on my own too. I'm like one of the only kids who doesn't have a personal trainer or anything.
I have no offers on the table from college to play. I have played since I was Five. I didn't think I was going to miss it this much. But after finishing the first half It really hit me that this is it.
I really don't know what i'll do without it

Oh my goodness, in this day in age, they have so many teams for adults to play on.  Search cragislist under activities (but always be careful of course, research whoever you meet on craigslist) is a great place to start. Check your local YMCA. There are so many adult teams out there and they take it pretty seriously! Don't give up

Latest posts

Back