Places you go to feel better

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bridge.
Well, okay, it's not MY bridge, but when I walk home from work, the 2 hours or so it takes me, there's a place I stop by to reflect on life, overlooking the old railroad, with a nice view of the city, especially in winter when there are no leafs on trees. First stopped there about 30 years ago and loved the view, still go there now when I'm feeling down. It helps me to remember that there's still so much out there...

I used to really enjoy driving around with a cup of coffee. But recently I have been suffering caffeine sensitivity and that makes it so I can't really have a steaming cup of joe with me anymore. There are alternatives such as decaf.. but it isn't the same.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
I used to really enjoy driving around with a cup of coffee. But recently I have been suffering caffeine sensitivity and that makes it so I can't really have a steaming cup of joe with me anymore. There are alternatives such as decaf.. but it isn't the same.

I'm curious; caffeine sensitivity?
In the last few years I've upped my coffee consumption more than before. At about the same time, I started having some real intense "allergic reactions"; I'll have something that looks like hives suddenly start and as soon as I pop a Reactine, it stops.
Are those the symptoms of caffeine sensitivity? The internet is surprisingly sparse on the subject.

Richard_39 said:
 I started having some real intense "allergic reactions"; I'll have something that looks like hives suddenly start and as soon as I pop a Reactine, it stops.
Are those the symptoms of caffeine sensitivity? The internet is surprisingly sparse on the subject.

No. Sounds like an allergy.

Caffeine sensitivity or intolerance is having the caffeine have a greater effect. So if when you were twenty it took 4 cups to make you shake now it just takes one.  

It is apparently common as you get older. But I have sound some information that it is related to not having sufficient glucose stores.

Oh, I see. Okay, definately nothing to do with me lol. I can drink a cup and sleep 10 minutes later, so I guess it's unrelated ;-)
Thank you both for the info, ladies.

I always find the cinema quite soothing. Sure, the buying a ticket alone part is pretty crappy. Once you're settled and the film starts though, I can just forget for a little. It's nice.

orca89 said:
I always find the cinema quite soothing. Sure, the buying a ticket alone part is pretty crappy. Once you're settled and the film starts though, I can just forget for a little. It's nice.

I used to but the cost is insane and the local cinema changed to one of those luxury ones with like 10 seats in the theater. What I used to like was the way the dark space enveloped me. Now there are so many people around it can't. Also, what is with the price tag? I went to see Wonder Woman and it was $15.00 for the ticket and $15.00 for the popcorn. OMG!

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
I used to but the cost is insane and the local cinema changed to one of those luxury ones with like 10 seats in the theater. What I used to like was the way the dark space enveloped me. Now there are so many people around it can't. Also, what is with the price tag? I went to see Wonder Woman and it was $15.00 for the ticket and $15.00 for the popcorn. OMG!

I'm not quite sure how $ relate to £ but I agree it it far too expensive to go often! I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet. Is it worth watching?
The game in my town is to sneak food in without them knowing... once I saw a family with a full McDonald's meal!

orca89 said:
I'm not quite sure how $ relate to £ but I agree it it far too expensive to go often! I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet. Is it worth watching?
The game in my town is to sneak food in without them knowing... once I saw a family with a full McDonald's meal!

Wonder Woman was good. Going forward I would look into sneaking. Last I remember movies were under 10 dollars and had a discount for an early show.  No more.

I like to go on walks. Not nature walks, but just urban walks. Put my bag or holster (not guns) on and take a stroll.

Mull over what needs introspection, maybe with some radio background noise, browse some interesting shops if I come across them (super markets, thrift stores, maybe yard sales) and take my time getting back.

Sometimes when you're just super frustrated (with almost everything I have going on indoors) I need to get out.

When I'm not on foot, I will also routinely grab whatever book (or manga) I'm reading and hope in the car and drive to a park, park, hope in the backseat and read for at least a couple hours. With a later walk or not, depending on how dark it gets.

Getting out like this is something I can most do, since friends generally are rarely available.

Band Practice. Also to my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training although a challenging session where I struggle to pick things up may not have that effect of making me feel better (about myself at least) but is still good for me regardless.

I go walking. Either along the coast or over hills. Walking in forests is not always so good for my mood. I like fresh air and sunlight and to be able to see the horizon.

The library, usually. Unless there's a large old tree somewhere, then you the library first and then to the tree with the book to read underneath. Unless it's raining, than just the library.

I actually watch documentaries on Youtube, i go to coffee shops and for walks in the park. I stream programmes and films.

I cook which helps me to relax. I also drink tea. I have teapots and fancy cups - all of this helps me.

I just pack my travelling bag and fly off to nearby countries. Hahaha ...... I am now in Dhaka. My first time here to visit my biz partner hometown (his sister's wedding). Interesting people I have met.

I would say, for me, my favorite places to go to for soothing myself are:

* My books since I love to read, and escape into imaginary worlds.

*Walking by the sea since the sounds of the waves have a calming effect on me.

*Meditation since I can escape from this world during the duration of the meditation.

*My room since I can find different ways to lose myself there.

*My paintings since it's another way for me to lose myself, and relax.

Latest posts

Back