Cop was a little rude. felt depressed after

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restless soul

Reaction score
So I got pulled over before for something I assumed i been doing all along was legal. Which was merging into exrpessway entrance from second lane this is a busy road and cars creep onto the entrance ramp. Today I saw two cop cars there for the first time. Turns out they were enforcing this law today. And pulling over anyone from the second lane. Meaning not the lane that merges straight onto expressway.  So to make a long story short he said I was cutting in. And. He was curt, and short with me and cold. And made me feel victimized and depressed even up until now.

He was doing his job. It's not his job to make sure you know what is and is not legal when you are driving. You should know. If you don't, you should study up on the laws and what is and is not legal.

If you had to deal with ******* drivers all day, wouldn't you be a bit irritated sometimes?
No, I'm not saying you're an *******, but I bet if you have two lanes merging into traffic, you live in a pretty populated area, there are quite a few.

Restless soul said:
So I got pulled over before for something I assumed i been doing all along was legal. Which was merging into exrpessway entrance from second lane this is a busy road and cars creep onto the entrance ramp. Today I saw two cop cars there for the first time. Turns out they were enforcing this law today. And pulling over anyone from the second lane. Meaning not the lane that merges straight onto expressway.  So to make a long story short he said I was cutting in. And. He was curt, and short with me and cold. And made me feel victimized and depressed even up until now.

If your explanation is what i think it is then you hold up traffic for everyone behind you in your lane when you do this. Get into the right lane and merge like everyone else does. They were right to pull you over. You were cutting in. People cutting in is half of the reason that lane moves so slow in the first place. You have no idea how annoying it is when people do this. 

At least now you know. No need to feel depressed.

kamya said:
Restless soul said:

If your explanation is what i think it is then you hold up traffic for everyone behind you in your lane when you do this. Get into the right lane and merge like everyone else does. They were right to pull you over. You were cutting in. People cutting in is half of the reason that lane moves so slow in the first place. You have no idea how annoying it is when people do this. 

At least now you know. No need to feel depressed.

I hear. I live in nyc. Sometimes it's hard to get into the proper lane. They were posted at this location busting people soley for that rule. Kind of a dick move. At least be clear about it when pulling me over. Not make it like i was ' cutting" for the sake of cutting. I always let cars go before me in situations like this. I guess the cops assume it should be common knowledge. Well it isn't. Wasn't for me until today.

I'm sorry you felt this way but people in NYC always do this and it's uber annoying. Most likely they are enforcing that particular rule because there have been several incidents. Drivers like you will cause other drivers levels of irritation to rise quickly.

Feeling like a victim is the blight of society today. You really shouldn't feel like a victim to someone who was doing what they were supposed to. I'm sure he would have, and did, pull over anyone that he saw doing the same thing, and gave them the same tone he gave you. He probably could have been more cheerful, but given his job, I don't blame him.

VanillaCreme said:
Feeling like a victim is the blight of society today. You really shouldn't feel like a victim to someone who was doing what they were supposed to. I'm sure he would have, and did, pull over anyone that he saw doing the same thing, and gave them the same tone he gave you. He probably could have been more cheerful, but given his job, 
Thanks, you and sci fi always just know how to cheer me up, especially sci fi. Anyway, on the brightside he let me off with just a warning. So that's good

Wait, so you're victimized and you didn't even get a ticket?   :rolleyes:

Seriously, perhaps you should look at some driving laws.  It is YOUR job to know what the laws are.  Every time you get in a vehicle, it is YOUR job to understand what you can and cannot do.  No one else is going to do that for you, no one else is obligated to do so.  It's YOUR job.  If you don't want to get pulled over, make sure you know the laws.  End of story.  You weren't a victim, the cop was doing his job, get over it.

Restless soul said:
VanillaCreme said:
Feeling like a victim is the blight of society today. You really shouldn't feel like a victim to someone who was doing what they were supposed to. I'm sure he would have, and did, pull over anyone that he saw doing the same thing, and gave them the same tone he gave you. He probably could have been more cheerful, but given his job, 
Thanks, you and sci fi always just know how to cheer me up, especially sci fi. Anyway, on the brightside he let me off with just a warning. So that's good

Don't know if that's sarcastic or not. But that is a good thing you only got a warning. I probably would have gotten a ticket, knowing my luck.

VanillaCreme said:
Restless soul said:
VanillaCreme said:

Don't know if that's sarcastic or not. But that is a good thing you only got a warning. I probably would have gotten a ticket, knowing my luck.

Yes I was a litttle sarcastic. Good thing i kept my big mouth shut to the cop, right? 😕😁

Restless soul said:
Yes I was a litttle sarcastic. Good thing i kept my big mouth shut to the cop, right? 😕😁

Don't know if that's sarcastic or not, either, but... Yes. It is good. Pick and choose your battles. Not worth it to me over such little offense.

Always always keep your mouth shut with a cop. Don't fight it out there. (go to court -- but you probably will lose) Always keep your hands where they can see them. Always do what they say.

But as to the sentiment .. in this thread...Ahh no way.  I work with police and I despise their attitude. They don't have to be so rude and a lot of times they provoke the situation. When  you get pulled over it is bad enough because you got "caught" anyway, and so when it is clear the person isn't a threat a "I have to give you a ticket but I am not going to be a jerk about it." Attitude is necessary.  Those who don't do that I think are jerks and I hope I have every one of their numbers when necessary. 

Recently I did blow right though a stop sign at a high rate of speed.  I wasn't familiar with the intersection. When I got pulled over I just admitted it, apologized, and got ready for my ticket. But the cop checked my info and didn't even give me a warning. (The Chief of Police's aunt lives in the condo complex I live in- so maybe that has something to do with it) and I thanked him and -- you better believe it... if I ever get the opportunity to talk to that Chief I will mention it. 

I think it is an ordeal getting pulled over at all... all the more for law abiding people. I do think police should recognize that. Some do. I love them.

Restless soul said:

It's never fun to be pulled over and while some cops are nice, there are others that are not. It is very scary to be pulled over (even by a nice police officer) and can leave you shaken, even for the most minor of infractions. You're not alone. A lot of people feel like you do after they get pulled over. I hope my words bring some comfort.

You never want to "mention" a cop letting you off without a citation.

That is a nice act to be enjoyed quietly.

bleed_the_freak said:
You never want to "mention" a cop letting you off without a citation.

That is a nice act to be enjoyed quietly.

What?

Whatever the case may be, in this instance it deserved only a warning. I think. But they can do what they want of course.

Saying you didn't know is not an excuse. I get it

I can't go 70 miles per hour in a 45 zone and say
I didn't know or have seen a sign, although its happened where i
Was going 45 in 25. That is considered speeding to them.

I'm pretty sure that driving over the speed limit is actually speeding.
You can't break the law and expect them to give you a hug and an ice cream.

Cops are there to enforce the laws and protect people. By you merging from the wrong lane, you were breaking the law and endangering people. I'm not sure why you would expect a cop to coddle you for breaking the law. You get pissy with people for thinking you look like someone else, yet you expect a cop to be nice as can be to you when you break the law? Yeah, sorry, not going to happen.

And no, that cop would have been 100% justified in ticketing you. You only got a warning, so why are you making a big **** deal about it?

Restless soul said:

Whatever the case may be, in this instance it deserved only a warning. I think. But they can do what they want of course.

Saying you didn't know is not an excuse. I get it

I can't go 70 miles per hour  in a 45 zone and say
I didn't know or have seen a sign, although its happened where i
Was going 45 in 25. That is considered speeding to them.

They can't do whatever they want. I don't know why some people have this perception. If you were to get a ticket, you can fight it. It's just that, for the most part, most people don't. Because they know they were speeding or doing whatever it was they were doing to be pulled over. Sign or not, you know how fast you go, or you know that you've cut someone off, or whatever else.

Also 20 over is speeding. That much over is typically considered speeding to most logical people.

Latest posts

Back