A break from (online) dating?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hye345

Reaction score
So, most of my romantic encounters/relationships have been due to online dating (a couple were through friends of friends, classmates, etc.). However, the online ones seem to have a very short shelf life, if I can use that term. Even when there seems to be chemistry, after a couple of dates, things usually fizzle out, usually to the lady breaking off contact and/or letting me down easy. 

The latter happened recently: I met this girl online about a week ago, we had instant online/texting chemistry, chatting dozens of times a day. We went out twice since then, and we had pretty good in-person chemistry too. Physically, we got as far as 'light' kissing. Until last night, we continued texting nonstop. Today, after a (texting) hiatus, she messages me, saying that while she thinks I'm a nice guy, she didn't really feel like this was going anywhere romantically (paraphrasing). 

Needless to say, I'm pretty down in the dumps. On the one hand, I know that we only went out twice, and that at worst, it's a week or so of my life. On the other, its the idea that no matter how well two people seem to be getting along, it can end at any time. it's mentally and emotionally jarring.

I've been thinking of taking a break from online dating for a while, sort of to clear my head and get some perspective. Anyone else done this/feel this way? How did you feel afterwards?

If it's any comfort, your experiences with online dating are pretty common. When there's always someone new just around the corner, so to speak, or with a swipe, there's little incentive to keep going with any one particular person. At the very least, the lady you're referring to let you know how she felt instead of leaving you hanging and ghosting or benching you. If you feel you need a break, that might be a good idea.

I basically don't do it anymore - the mental and emotional strain is immense. The last time, the one local I got in touch with started showing stalker tendencies (hunting down other social media through my history, spamming me with messages when I said I was out, etc), so I threw up my hands and walked away.

Better to go meet people through other means. Even if it takes until I'm 99, at least I can be happy and safe in the meantime.

I've done the online dating hiatus as well, am currently doing so right now. I don't get many matches on Tinder or Tinder-like apps, and one I matched with and became good friends kept putting off meeting and then when I came out and confronted him about it, he said that he was tired of women and dating and that he didn't want to do it anymore. I don't really get sick of men so much as I get sick of men of my same religion because they seem so picky or something but regardless of that overlook me now matter how much I try or work on self improvement and stuff. I guess that I'm just better off alone right now, as my efforts seem to be more annoyances to others than not. :/

hye345 said:
So, most of my romantic encounters/relationships have been due to online dating (a couple were through friends of friends, classmates, etc.). However, the online ones seem to have a very short shelf life, if I can use that term. Even when there seems to be chemistry, after a couple of dates, things usually fizzle out, usually to the lady breaking off contact and/or letting me down easy. 

The latter happened recently: I met this girl online about a week ago, we had instant online/texting chemistry, chatting dozens of times a day. We went out twice since then, and we had pretty good in-person chemistry too. Physically, we got as far as 'light' kissing. Until last night, we continued texting nonstop. Today, after a (texting) hiatus, she messages me, saying that while she thinks I'm a nice guy, she didn't really feel like this was going anywhere romantically (paraphrasing). 

Needless to say, I'm pretty down in the dumps. On the one hand, I know that we only went out twice, and that at worst, it's a week or so of my life. On the other, its the idea that no matter how well two people seem to be getting along, it can end at any time. it's mentally and emotionally jarring.

I've been thinking of taking a break from online dating for a while, sort of to clear my head and get some perspective. Anyone else done this/feel this way? How did you feel afterwards?

I think the problem is with your approach to an initial acquaintance, it is not recommended to talk/text too much between and before these dates, as you are not together and things are pretty fragile at the beginning, plus you are getting yours and hers hopes up. 

I also think that you should calm down your excitement, at least until you get into an actual physical contact, not putting you down or anything, I was exactly like you,  fast to be excited and thrilled and eventually end up frustrated and upset.

Latest posts

Back