"Bro Code" Or No Code?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osiris

Reaction score
This is after I was about to start chatting up a girl at a bar, then my friend walked round the corner and introduced her as his girlfriend...I mean I'm a bloke and she was sort of giving me those eyes where you think "Oh honeysuckle, she likes me" I could be wrong but it got me thinking about what other people's moral code is in this situation. I hate to use a Biggie quote since I also have one in my signature but I've always been a bit of a "Don't leave ya girl round me. True player for real, ask Puff Dad-dy!" Okay... maybe don't ask Puffy but you get the picture. If I like a girl, I don't care. I mean she's a grown woman she can make her own mind up. So back to the question, I know girls hate other girls who do this and somehow think that if this other girl hadn't been tempting him he would have stayed faithful(He wouldn't of). But this is more for the mandem (Guys), girls are welcome to comment too. But the actual question I want answered is, what's your idea of bro code? And would you go after a mate's girlfriend?

kamya said:
Nope. And if my mate's gf made a move I would probably let him know.

I completely agree about telling him. But if you say to a friend, "she tried it on with me" they might not believe you and she'll just keep lieing and doing it with other men anyway. I think it's better to have a bit of fun and then tell them "You're too good for her mate, she was on me like that birthmark on the back of her thigh" I know how I sound, I sound like an *******. But a real woman won't get passed around like a spliff. I think you're being a friend, maybe teaching them a harsh lesson in choosing more carefully but still.

When I was younger, If I fell over and hurt myself my mum would always run over and hug me, so I stayed on the floor. If I fell over with my Dad, he would laugh at me. I didn't cry, I got straight back on my feet (even though i was in pain) and carried on. At the time I hated my dad for things like that, it's only now I realise he was caring for me in the future. It's temping to do the mum thing and give them a hug, but sometimes you're holding them back by doing that.

This is the main point of what I'm trying to say, why tell him she made a move? It's not (really) enough for him to break up with her, you're just putting a dent in a relationship that'll get worse over time till they eventually brake up. I say be able to tell him some actual news that would make up his mind. Not leave him in Limbo

Whay they choose to believe afterwards is up to them. Loyalty means a lot to me. I wouldnt want them to find out later that i knew and did nothing.

If it messes up the friendship then oh well i guess. :/ At least my conscious is clean. I hate when people (especially people that claim to be your friend) withhold information from me in order to protect shitty people/ behaviors.

No way, no how, never. I'm not going to attempt to make off with my mate's girlfriend... and any girl who'd do that isn't worth my time or effort anyway.

I'm in two minds about telling him though - it almost always ends up with you being the bad guy. I think it's better to just stay out of it and let him work it out for himself.

LOL.
I don't run after girls.
I let them run after me so I know the coast is clear. ;-)

And if she happens to be a friend's girlfriend, not only will I not sleep with her, I'll advise, without going into details, said friend to dump her quick as he can ;-)

Hands off partners, and partners hands off other ones. Your father just helped fostering you into increasing the insecurities many have (including me) about showing any kind of negative feelings. I'm also of the mindset that most hopefully find out what their partners/friends are up to, and that even if they don't, it's still wrong.

It's not about a "code," so much as it is about respect. Would you want a friend going after your girl? I would assume the answer would be no, so why would you do that to someone you care about?

TheRealCallie said:
It's not about a "code," so much as it is about respect.  Would you want a friend going after your girl?  I would assume the answer would be no, so why would you do that to someone you care about?

Hmm well I shouldn't I be able to trust my gf? I wouldn't care if a friend tried as long as he didn't ever force her to do anything or make her feel uncomfortable. Because if a girl really cared about me she'd just push him away. End of story, no?

Don'tget me wrong this is all hypothetical, I'm not going to do it. But it's still an interesting question.

Osiris said:
TheRealCallie said:
It's not about a "code," so much as it is about respect.  Would you want a friend going after your girl?  I would assume the answer would be no, so why would you do that to someone you care about?

Hmm well I shouldn't I be able to trust my gf? I wouldn't care if a friend tried as long as he didn't ever force her to do anything or make her feel uncomfortable. Because if a girl really cared about me she'd just push him away. End of story, no?

Don'tget me wrong this is all hypothetical, I'm not going to do it. But it's still an interesting question.

Shouldn't you be able to trust your friends too?  I think you're fooling yourself if you think you wouldn't care if a friend went after your girl.  Everyone would care unless they don't really care about the person they are dating.

In case she'd ever say "He doesn't have to know", then that's exactly what he has to. He'd most likely deserve better.

Also, this is one of few times I'm completely with Callie. Enjoy it while it lasts, Callie :D

Bro Code essentially boils down to little more than comradeship but with a cooler name. Bro Code to me, is mates first "Bros before Hoes" I guess as they say.
It's showing respect and restraint towards your mates, and not doing anything that would screw them over. Not snitching on them, not going after their girlfriends, girls they're interested in, or exes (Though I think asking them if it's cool can change this, if they're not attached anymore and the break-up was amiable I don't see why it could happen provided everyone is cool with it) and it's giving your mates the heads up when honeysuckle's gonna go down, or if you feel like they're being cheated on, or if their girlfriend flirted with you, etc.
It's essentially being a mate no matter what, even if being a mate means telling them something you don't wanna hear.

So no, I would never go after a mates girlfriend. I think the proper thing to do would be to tell him tbh, but also let him know that you had no idea she was his girlfriend, and apologise for doing it. If you're really as much of a ladies man as you say you are, and he KNOWS you're a ladies man? He should understand. Might be a little pissed at you for a day or two, but otherwise you should be good.

Latest posts

Back