No, I'm not a *****--I'm just awkward

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molasses

Reaction score
Has your awkwardness ever been confused with...bitchiness or being standoff-ish?

My awkwardness has been confused for a lot of things, but never before bitchiness up until now. I currently have a coworker who swore that I was being disrespectful towards her. She got so livid that other day, she threatened to throw a marker at me--right in front of our supervisor. 

She's referring to all the times when I gave her responses that were short, or times when I didn't respond to her at all. Or when I didn't look at her when she was speaking to me, or never engaged in her conversations.

In her mind, I am a rude ***** who "doesn't give a honeysuckle about anyone" <-- her exact words.

But in my mind, I am so shy, awkward, and socially inept that I can't think of anything to say during all of these times. And if I do have something to say, I hold back because from past experience, I deduce that no one really likes to listen to me speak after all. 

I would love to just flat out confess to my coworkers that I am an awkward vessel, thus becoming vulnerable and relatable. But I feel like the catch 22 in doing this is my supervisor realizing that I lied on my application. Decisions, decisions.

Who can relate?

I can't relate because my awkward shyness comes off as just that, I've been told so many times that I am incredibly shy. People ask me not to be so quiet. Guess I've been lucky as a guy people just see it as being socially awkward.

I just wanted to comment because your thread title gave me a laugh.

Molasses said:
Who can relate?

Not bitchiness but my quietness has often been mistaken as being 'stuck up' and even as condescension.

Molasses said:
Has your awkwardness ever been confused with...bitchiness or being standoff-ish?

My awkwardness has been confused for a lot of things, but never before bitchiness up until now. I currently have a coworker who swore that I was being disrespectful towards her. She got so livid that other day, she threatened to throw a marker at me--right in front of our supervisor. 

She's referring to all the times when I gave her responses that were short, or times when I didn't respond to her at all. Or when I didn't look at her when she was speaking to me, or never engaged in her conversations.

In her mind, I am a rude ***** who "doesn't give a honeysuckle about anyone" <-- her exact words.

But in my mind, I am so shy, awkward, and socially inept that I can't think of anything to say during all of these times. And if I do have something to say, I hold back because from past experience, I deduce that no one really likes to listen to me speak after all. 

I would love to just flat out confess to my coworkers that I am an awkward vessel, thus becoming vulnerable and relatable. But I feel like the catch 22 in doing this is my supervisor realizing that I lied on my application. Decisions, decisions.

Who can relate?

Yeah I'll second that, I was called an "arrogant prick" quite a lot during my later school years. Just because I didn't have anything in common with anyone and kept my head down. (When I bothered going to school). I think you should be honest and relatable. I've always struggled socially, it's only since moving abroad and the only words I can speak are "Sorry, my ___is no good, bottle of beer please" lol they know how hard it is for me, so they try and help me out. Don't feel bad though, the person calling you a "rude *****" has no idea everything you've been through to get to where you are today. They're probably just jealous as well! I used to hate when people said that too me but it's true. You're probably the pretty shy girl and they hate it lmao! Embrace it! Be proud of being shy and awkward, let people know you feel awkward. Then if she still carries on saying stupid things, I'm sure someone will stick up for you! :)

Yes I can totally relate to this and have lost count of the amount of times people have thought (and said) that i'm a stuck up snob even from when I was a kid. I've always done my best to mix in and be one of the crowd but it just doesn't work for me.
I've come to the conclusion i'll just have to be on the outside for life.

It sometimes does get mistaken with me. Don't get me wrong, I am a ***** often, but some of the time, I'm just quiet or have nothing to say, so I don't say anything. And I think it makes me appear to be stand-offish or uninterested in anything.

I can definitely relate to this. People tell me I am "stuck up" or "too good" to talk to them. In reality I just like observing people a little bit before I just jump into a conversation. Also I'm just awkward sometimes and don't know what the right thing is to say. **** social anxiety!

Pepperwood said:
I can definitely relate to this. People tell me I am "stuck up" or "too good" to talk to them. In reality I just like observing people a little bit before I just jump into a conversation.

Most definitely. I can relate to this as well.

Oh my gosh....my life!

I do not like starting conversations. Growing up my dad owned a business so people thought I was just stuck up or thought I was too good for them, but that was not the case. I'm just weird and shy.

Some people in life are "bitches" and others are just plain awkward (or shy). But some people are actually a little of both. How do I know? I can see through people O_O

Latest posts

Back