Going to be gone for a while...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good, Richard, you are trying to make the best out of horrible circumstances and moving forward. I don't know if I would have the courage to continued after all that happened to you if it happened to me. I just don't know how you do it. Best of luck to you!

It's funny, this morning. Not funny "haha", just funny not funny.
How one event can change your entire life and you can't get rid of it.
I mean, I used to be no better than anyone. Used to not believe in stuff like depression. Used to think those who left because of mental burnout are just not tough enough. Still do sometimes, because of my arrogant human nature, I guess. Forcing myself to change, because it's not right to think that, but I still do sometimes, despite myself.
But now...now I understand.
I understand how a single event replay over and over in your mind and doesn't go away. When every morning, every minute of everything you do always comes back to that nightmarish thought. I never expected to have to live with that. Never wanted to live with that. Did everything I could to never have to live with that, because I'm one of the ones who read the stories of this happening to others and thought "I don't know how I'd be able to live with that, I'd go insane". Because it's just too cruel a thought to have to carry around the rest of your life, a scar too deep. I'd rather have lost bodyparts than have moments like in this shower this morning where I start again thinking about all this and cry for no reason for the sheer pain I feel of what happened to the ones I love the most.
I understand too when the girl last week told me it was still fresh. I didn't know how fresh it was until this morning, really. I didn't expect to start crying for no reason this morning. I've kind of become an expert at bowling through each day wearing a mask of carefreeness as fake as Pamela Anderson's tits. But every moment I don't watch myself and am not busy, even in the middle of conversations with people, I remember what happened. Can't get it out of my head. It doesn't want to. I realize also now that no matter how many people I talk to about it, no matter how I explain it, they might have some sympathy, but, they won't understand. Only people that will are those who have lived such a profound loss as this and if any of them are reading, well...dear god. How I wish I could have stopped this happening to you. Even if I hate you, even if you'd be my worst enermy, you don't deserve to be hurting like this. Not like THIS. Not ever.

I wonder these days. I wonder how long this will last. I don't see myself going on a decade like this, feeling half-dead everyday and not enjoying life. As much as I tried to convince myself the last decade, I found out I'm not a robot and I'm not invulnerable. I certainly am no Superman. So I wonder how long I'll be able to last until I finally break down. Until will just isn't enough anymore. Funny. Funny because, you know, you can't cry about it, so why not laugh about it?

Every time I feel this way, in my mind I hear Highway to Hell. AC/DC, one of my favorite bands. I hear the song, imagine myself on the road behind a huge muscle car, flames coming out of the tires, heading 150 miles per hour down a big black burning and flaming hole of nowhere.
And sometimes...sometimes I like it. Weird.

I'll be with my girls this weekend though. That always makes everything better. I feel like I'm whole then.

Well, it's been a while since I wrote on this thread.
I know there's a diary section, but people can't comment on those and if there's one thing I learned in the last few months, it's that this story, what happened to us, leaves no one indifferent. Some people I've talked to who inquired as to why I always looked so sad, or depressed, or just off, experience a wide range of emotion just learning about it. It's changed me profoundly, changed us, changed our family and changed them. In about three weeks, on the 20th of April will be the court date, to know how long he'll actually stay in jail. We had a previous court date in february to decide wether immediate incarceration was warranted or not, due to the severity of the crime and the impact on all of us, it was, so he's been incarcerated since then. This is not a trial, since he pled guilty, asked the court for leniency, which he didn't get. Everyone was horrified by his cavalier attitude and his complete lack of remorse or guilt at it. So I'm starting to get nervous...

I was pondering things at home last night, yesterday. I don't have much in the way of an actual life, so pondering things is pretty much what I do, all the time. Alone with my thoughts, it used to be liberating, but it's kind of a nightmare now, because my thoughts constantly come back to this. I realize now after some time has lapsed,that nothing has really changed. I'm still the same person I used to be, my troubles are all the same as before, actually they've gotten worse and I feel no better equipped to handle them than I was before. They just talked me out of murder, which, I'll be quite honest with you, I've far from removed from my mind. It's still the first thing I think about in the morning and the last at night. I still feel guilty, I still feel all of this is my fault, that I should have been a better father, that I should have guessed all this was happening. I've been looking for a new job since January and nothing seems to work. Looking for an appartment and nothing seems to work. Prospects aren't all that pleasant. I decided to shy away from what I wanted to do, which is work with victims in social sciences or something, but the system is now so warped that I don't have the means to make it work, not as long as I pay child support. So I decided to go get my driver's license, which I never got and try to get hired as a trucker. Kids are growing older, they already started to come less often, eventually they'll have their own lives and I'll be by myself once more. SO I better start thinking about my own future without taking them into consideration. And being n the road all day, in a truck, with no boss over my shoulders sounds pretty **** fine right now.
I feel like I'm heading towards a brick wall 200 mph and I don't know that I can stop it. I certainly don't feel strenght to anymore. Sometimes I get bursts, but...I just feel tired again. Old. Worn. Some days I can control it, or rather hide it, but somedays it gets really bad. Some days also, the bad guy comes out. I just felt like punching a dude for no reason yesterday night, walking home. He just pissed me off, there was no reason. I didn't do it, but the fact I even considered it scared me. It's too gratuitous, it's not really the me I became, it's the me I was...

So yeah. Court date. I hope they don't give me reason to be disappointed. Because if I do and he's free, say next year? I will never trust the justice system again. I'll also find a way to make sure Justice is done.

Im just now reading all of this story. I had no idea what you have been going through. How are your daughters doing? I'm no expert, but it seems that anger is a healthy emotion to this awful situation, until your family can start moving to better emotions.. We are here for you to vent to

Did you mention a support group for fathers of rape victims? This is definitely the type of situation that no one else could even begin to wrap their head around unless they have experienced it....

Seahorse said:
Im just now reading all of this story. I had no idea what you have been going through. How are your daughters doing? I'm no expert, but it seems that anger is a healthy emotion to this awful situation, until your family can start moving to better emotions.. We are here for you to vent to

Did you mention a support group for fathers of rape victims? This is definitely the type of situation that no one else could even begin to wrap their head around unless they have experienced it....

LOL No, it's a general men's health support group, there are no specific groups for cases like that. I've had trouble finding even that one. I haven't decided yet if it's doing more harm than good, some of those men have heavy problems I can't relate to.
I don't mention it much. Not unless I have to. My daughters are very good. Strong. A lot stronger than their old man. Though it's not without it's consequences. They are regularly being followed by different support people, but there will be it's load of permanent scaring. Some of it already surfacing. Still, all things considered, it could have been much, much worse.
The real problem lies with me. I'm the guy it couldn't happen to. It kind of spun everything on it's head. I'm still trying to make some sense of existence, but I realized yesterday I hadn't. I'm just following Claire's advice; fake it till you make it. But in my case, even if after a time I might find some relative solace...there's no coming back from this. Not the way I was made.

LOL There's nothing to vent. What would be the point? I imagine you know anything I might want to say. What I want is a time machine and a gun. And I'm not going to get that.

...but hey you know, if you know any rich, single millionnaire girls, I'll give it a whirl lol

I wish I could take you for a few beers and a chat. I wish I could tell your girls what brave young ladies they are. 

I know that no matter how much time this animal gets in jail will never make what he did go away, so lets hope that jail is as bad for pedophiles as they say.

I wonder if a few sessions in an amateur boxing ring or something might be good for you...

Seahorse said:
I wish I could take you for a few beers and a chat. I wish I could tell your girls what brave young ladies they are. 

I know that no matter how much time this animal gets in jail will never make what he did go away, so lets hope that jail is as bad for pedophiles as they say.

I wonder if a few sessions in an amateur boxing ring or something might be good for you...

HA! I'm actually inquiring into that. Though I don't know if putting me in a violent situation is a good thing, I wasn't always nice and cuddly like I am now, a long time ago. I've always been more afraid of hurting others. I don't know yet, I'm wondering. But a friend of mine is a boxing coach, so maybe.
It supposedly is. And I know some people. He's not going to have a pleasant stay.

That anger has to go some where, so why not with a willing participant in a safe setting....go for it!

Seahorse said:
That anger has to go some where, so why not with a willing participant in a safe setting....go for it!

I'm not a remotely violently person and just reading your story makes me want to kick something :)

Seahorse said:
I'm not a remotely violently person and just reading your story makes me want to kick something :)

It's a constant struggle for me, though it isn't kicking. When you've done some things you're not proud of and know how easy it would be to start doing those again, only this time for an actual right reason, it's a fight between your light side and your dark side. I'm still not sure which side will win, I only know I've stopped it from happening so far because I don't want the consequences. But it's an every day fight.
If 10 years from now you read a story in the papers about a man who went to jail with a smile on his face, you'll know who they are talking about. But I'm trying not to go down that path, because my girls asked me not to.

That is my concern my friend. You just said you have a buddy who is a boxer, so go beat on some one in a safe and more importantly legal setting... Let me know how you feel after.

Richard, you are so thoughtful and supportive to people on here. You mentioned the mens group, and I have to say that even if you like helping others, you have enough on your own shoulders...so go legally beat on some one to make your self feel better !!!

Seahorse said:
Richard, you are so thoughtful and supportive to people on here. You mentioned the mens group, and I have to say that even if you like helping others, you have enough on your own shoulders...so go legally beat on some one to make your self feel better !!!

LOL Thanks for the advice. I'll consider it. I'm too busy these days looking for an appartment that's cheap and a new job, but when I get a chance, I'll look into it.

Richard_39 said:
Seahorse said:

It's a constant struggle for me, though it isn't kicking. When you've done some things you're not proud of and know how easy it would be to start doing those again, only this time for an actual right reason, it's a fight between your light side and your dark side. I'm still not sure which side will win, I only know I've stopped it from happening so far because I don't want the consequences. But it's an every day fight.
If 10 years from now you read a story in the papers about a man who went to jail with a smile on his face, you'll know who they are talking about. But I'm trying not to go down that path, because my girls asked me not to.

Richard you said any one can comment......Your daughters will never leave you mate......they will always need you...

Sooner than you think your daughter's will be bringing home the dodgy boyfriends(trust me I've been there).Your girls will need your strength then to make sure said teenagers/men will not take the piss and treat your daughters with respect....they will look to you for guidance and hopefully the little *******/cherubs if your lucky will realise that you are the most important person in your daughters lives and ultimately have to face you.Time passes quick mate you may well be taking your daughter's boyfriend boxing too.

Yeah, I know...
It isn't for anytime soon, though. I doubt very much they will feel very safe around men for a very long time. There's sadly not much I can do about that, but I fear this will have serious repercussions in future romantic relationships. They both said they don't want to marry or have children anymore. I'll give it time.
Besides which, they were already warned about that. The day I see one scratch, or black eye, or anything, if they don't end the relationship I WILL. That'll be my only involvement ever in their future adult relationships.

LOL Someday they won't. They'll have their own lives while I hopefully end up in a clean retirement home with some sexy nurses ;-)
Honestly, being fed every day by a beautiful woman sounds like paradise.

Richard_39 said:
Yeah, I know...
It isn't for anytime soon, though. I doubt very much they will feel very safe around men for a very long time. There's sadly not much I can do about that, but I fear this will have serious repercussions in future romantic relationships. They both said they don't want to marry or have children anymore. I'll give it time.
Besides which, they were already warned about that. The day I see one scratch, or black eye, or anything, if they don't end the relationship I WILL. That'll be my only involvement ever in their future adult relationships.

LOL Someday they won't. They'll have their own lives while I hopefully end up in a clean retirement home with some sexy nurses ;-)
Honestly, being fed every day by a beautiful woman sounds like paradise.

Lucky you living in Canada... Here in the US it would cost $7,000 /month to live in a nursing home. 
There is a state run assisted living at the top of my street and the residents sit out side talking to them selves and begging for money... I occasionally buy them cigarettes and beer....oops

It's slightly less cheaper here, but considering it takes pretty much all your old age pension to pay for it, if you can actually afford it, it's probably similar. When I stop paying child support I'll have to instantly start saving for retirement, because I might not even have the time. Right now I got zero savings.
I might be the old dude you give money too someday. Though if you supplied beer instead, I'd be much obliged lol

Richard_39 said:
It's slightly less cheaper here, but considering it takes pretty much all your old age pension to pay for it, if you can actually afford it, it's probably similar. When I stop paying child support I'll have to instantly start saving for retirement, because I might not even have the time. Right now I got zero savings.
I might be the old dude you give money too someday. Though if you supplied beer instead, I'd be much obliged lol

Glad we had a light hearted chat...can't be there for you in person or take any thing away that has happened to you and your girls...

Seahorse said:
Richard_39 said:

Glad we had a light hearted chat...can't be there for you in person or take any thing away that has happened to you and your girls...

No one can. That's the problem. We all have to learn to live with this. We always have light-heartedchats about it. One running gag is her calling me grandpa and me calling her mommy. We both laugh...because we're trying to make sense of senselessness.
But hey, you know what? I try not to worry about it too much. I probably don't have much in the way of heart and lung power for too many schockers in my life anymore, the next one will undoubtly give me a heart attack and kill me lol. SO I try to keep things simple now. Hopefully in a few years, we'll pull through.

Im no therapist Richard, but I'm liking both the anger, and the humor from you and your girls... !!!!
And I held back on commenting on what I see as the silver lining to this awful situation....a baby was adopted by a couple who will hopefully give this child a wonderful life

That's another thing that's hard to live with, let's not get too much into that. It's something else that keeps me up at night, considering I'm very big on family. That was one of the harder decisions to make. Suffice it to say, jury is still out on wether I think it's a silver lining or not. It's just f'ed up all around.
September the 5th is irrevocably changed for me.

Latest posts

Back