Motivation for work when you're single

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ardour said:
SofiasMami said:
Your lack of motivation for work could be more related to depression than your relationship status. Lack of motivation is a classic symptom of depression.
Being single isn't a tragedy, affliction or disease. It's merely a state of being. Not to minimize your feelings about being single, of course. But if you're feeling off, it can help to be pointed in the right direction as far as cause. :)

Thanks SofiasMami. Having some experience might make this easier to accept,  but you’re right about being single.

I basically didn’t have the gumption to find out what if anything I really wanted to do. I stayed here because I knew the people here; my only friends were here. Then, without any clear career goals, I invested $12,000 and 4 years in a postgraduate degree in order to convince myself and those around me that I was doing something with my life. Now I'm reaping the “benefits” of these decisions…

Even so, it can’t be that unusual to view your job as just a source of income (despite the taboo about admitting it). Still interested in other things so I don't think I'm suffering depression.

I don't think it's unusual to view your job as a source of income. That's why most people work I imagine. I think some people enjoy their work, some hate it and some are ambivalent. 
Maybe you're just ambivalent about your job?

Umm...

The main thing I can think of is that when you have a family, you need more money to grow children. Hence better paying job, if the current one doesn't enable to feed family that well.

Other than that I don't see a connection, at least for me. I am not a careerist anyway, it is too stressful for me. I just like to have a stable job, which suits me and where I am happy.

SilentLife said:
I am not a careerist anyway, it is too stressful for me. I just like to have a stable job, which suits me and where I am happy.

There's pressure to have a "careerist" attitude and unfortunately your job security can depend on at least giving that impression.

Objectively, there is a point - If everyone coasted along with minimal effort were'd all be much poorer. And obviously if you have a significant other, children to suport, there's an inherent reason to care. I never experienced any of that though so it's hard to find motivation for the sake of some impersonal 'benefit to society/social responsibilty' reason. I can't force myself to care about the value of work just on that basis, nor do I care that much any more about how I'm perceived by others.

Society doesn't owe me a partner, but I value my spare time, since it seems like that's all there is to look forward to now. I don't think that necessarily means I suffer from depression either.

ardour said:
Objectively, there is a point - If everyone coasted along with minimal effort were'd all be much poorer, 

Perhaps you have a point.

However, I feel I am not like "others" and can't be either. It would be very unnatural for me to have such goals and lifestyle as other people have. So I completely mind my own business.

Also I can't see, what can possibly be exciting about working all the time as then you would not have time (energy) to spend time with your loved one, ec.

If we look at history, some of the big things have been built or done with loads of hard work. We can start with ancient era. These pyramids were built with lots of slave work power and I imagine people died building it too.

Impressive work effort? Sure. But is it really good these things come at the expense of human life quality? Most people in the society are in my view overstressed. I don't envy them at all. Yeah they may have more money and some of the goodies I don't have, but I could care less. I prefer having some free time any time to having more "things", which I wouldn't use anyway.

Maybe a bit selfish, as I am not contributing much to building huge pyramids of the modern society. But I don't care. Give me pure nature any day of the week.

The lack the passion about the job/field I'm in is largely my own fault, but I'm getting old and heavily invested in it for now.

Same. The thing is, I don’t dislike my job. I’ve had far worse experiences but I don’t LOVE my job. Any increase in responsibility is a good ego boost of sorts, but not necessarily motivation to attempt to climb that next step on the ladder.

Latest posts

Back