Guy I don't know shakes my hand like he knew me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restless soul

Reaction score
Was walking around nyc aimless just getting some air like I typically do, and made eye contact with these two fellas outside a resturant an italian joint if that matters. They seemed Italian too. Anyway, after I made eye contact he says how are ya, and shakes my hand?

Is this unsual. Did he think he knew me or I knew him since I made eye contact? Another case of mistaken identity and is this something to feel depressed about??

Question for the people here who might have some insight into this thing i post about.

Do you think this is a problem for me each time bacause.

A. I am alone a lot with not any friends to hang out with.
B. Poor identity, self image. Always down on my looks?
C. Parents f'ed me up?
D. All of the above?

E. None of the above.

You're just making excuses to give yourself explanations. At this point, I'm really starting to wonder if you do it so that you don't have to worry about people getting too close to you.

Most people make eye contact after you make eye contact. Some people will even talk to you if you make eye contact with them. He was being polite, stop overanalyzing everything.

TheRealCallie said:
E.  None of the above.  

You're just making excuses to give yourself explanations.  At this point, I'm really starting to wonder if you do it so that you don't have to worry about people getting too close to you.

Most people make eye contact after you make eye contact. Some people will even talk to you if you make eye contact with them.  He was being polite, stop overanalyzing everything.

And shake your hand? It's true i think he reallt thought I knew him or visa versa

Yes, callie I can spin it positive to mean I have a friendly face to whereas someone wants to say hello??

I can, but the other part of me says he must be confusing you with someone else. I know I will get the same old. Its nyc tons of people everyone looks like someone. That stuff.

Even so it seems to annoy me

TheRealCallie said:
Yes, some people, even if they don't know you, shake your hand.  I've had strangers shake my hand before.

Not random on street. Maybe someone you just introduced yourself to

While walking? I wasn't standing idle

TheRealCallie said:
You were walking and YOU made eye contact.  I'm confused on how this is the fault of a polite stranger.

Didn't say it was anyones fault. Just another instance of someone thinking i am someone else.  And usually when you make eye contact doesn't automatically mean i know the guy.  Maybe someone would nod thier head.

Just another instance of you thinking you know the motives of everyone else....

Let's try this again....just because he shook your hand doesn't mean that he thinks he knows you AND it doesn't mean he thinks you were someone else

This might be hard to believe, but there ARE actually some nice strangers out there. And with that, I'm done here.

But from what i learned from posting other threads that if this happened to other members here they usually say..

So what? Who cares? No big deal?? Right??

TheRealCallie said:
Just another instance of you thinking you know the motives of everyone else....

Let's try this again....just because he shook your hand doesn't mean that he thinks he knows you AND it doesn't mean he thinks you were someone else

This might be hard to believe, but there ARE actually some nice strangers out there.  And with that, I'm done here.

Ok, good explanation. Thank you.  Good night

Hi....🤝🤝🤝🤝

Here's a thought - who gives a honeysuckle why. Lol
Be thankful that there are still human beings on this planet that are kind. :D

EveWasFramed said:
Here's a thought - who gives a honeysuckle why. Lol

Okay, also A Good viewpoint 😀😁

The guy was being friendly - you made polite eye contact, he did too and took it one step further by saying 'Hi! How are ya?!' and shook your hand in a friendly nice-to-meet-you kind of way....nothing more. Relish it, especially in a big city like New York. Walk away with a smile and be glad you just met a fellow human being with a kind heart.

ringwood said:
The guy was being friendly - you made polite eye contact, he did too and took it one step further by saying 'Hi! How are ya?!' and shook your hand in a friendly nice-to-meet-you kind of way....nothing more. Relish it, especially in a big city like New York. Walk away with a smile and be glad you just met a fellow human being with a kind heart.

You are right. I will learn to put my paranoid thoughts aside for now. The feedback here helped. Thanks

I tend to shake peoples hands like that,I hadn't thought about the other viewpoint,I think it's just trying to be warm and friendly and breaks the ice. I think i'm quite touchy feely but i'm also half Italian.

Just to give some understanding to some new posters here as to why post this topic and related was because I have problems with being mistaken, confused and even compared to other people generally Looks. Can you see that stemming from poor-self steem. Long time lonlieness ( isolated) you get the picture

EveWasFramed said:

This. Some people are just friendly or been brought up that way. I have customers who shake my hand, even first time customers. I do not give off any vibe I want to shake someones hand either, I stay behind the counter. Yet people will reach over, it's just because they were brought up a certain way, when you great someone you shake their hand. People used to do this way back in the days, it was much more common than it is now. I had a kid who worked for me at my last job who would hug people, everyday he came into work he would give me a hug. It's the way he was brought up, his family encouraged hugging. It is just the way some people are raised or just what they do. It's the same impulse some of us have to go hide in a hole somewhere than be around people. There are friendly people out there still which is refreshing in this day and age.

I have also had a stranger introduce themselves, shake my hand... etc...

Some people are just friendly... and its really no big deal.

I wouldn't over think it.

Latest posts

Back