An encouragement for new members

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • your location
  • sex
  • birthday (thus age).

hi,

i'm in pennsylvania

female

july, 1972

shy, socially awkward, nerd -- "nerdgrl"

I am in the Philippines, male, widower, 82 years old, healthy and active.

I love to discuss the issue of God existing or not.

Welcome to the site Marius Dejess :)

Hello there I am 51 years old and live near London.. struggling with keeping friends think it might relate to me being a bit of a loner when I was very young due to extreme shyness.. so hope I'm on the right forum!

Hey Everyone! Dhruv here from India. Here to spread happiness. Let me know if I can do anything for anyone.

I am also new.  I am 63, female and reside in Asheville, NC.  I was just noticing how many members are teens and in their twenties.  I was very lonely and depressed during those years, but I thought that maybe these days social media kept younger people connected to others.  Can one of you younger guys (or girls) tell me about your life experience right now, and why you think so many younger people are feeling lonely?  I am very interested.  As for me, I have always been a loner.  I was always “on the outside, looking in”, watching everyone else connect to others and develop friendships and families.  They now have children and grandchildren and I swear, that is all they can talk about.

I'm glad I'm not the only "older" one here (I'm 47). I'm interested to learn from the younger crowd also, although since I am on social media, I tend to find it alienating and disconnecting, not something that joins people together.

I'm curious to know if others feel this way as well? I can't avoid social media due to work and other things, but I have to limit my time on it because it makes my depression and anxiety worse.

nerdgrl said:
...although since I am on social media, I tend to find it alienating and disconnecting, not something that joins people together.  
...I have to limit my time on it because it makes my depression and anxiety worse.

I was on Facebook for about three weeks.  All it proved was how differently I think from those that I thought I knew.

And then there were all those people from the past you want to forget, asking to be friended.  I didn't want to, but then you know if you don't they will begrudge you.  Some you do and regret it, some you don't and the guilt hits you.

I don't want the world dissecting me.  I don't want a thousand strangers ripping me for my opinion.

I am strictly a forum mentality...and I don't even understand why they are different.

Hello all,

Male, a young-at-heart 53, based in rural(ish) part of the West Mids UK.

Widowed last year after a 10 year happy relationship. Have always had a woman in my life since 1986. My latest relationship lasted 9 months (met her 3 months after my wife passed), we've just broken up, she did it but it wasn't really going anywhere. Although I loved her, I'm not going to pursue her, I think I need time on my own to work out what I want in life.

Trouble is (and of course having to stay at home because of Coronavirus doesn't help), I'm already feeling lonely. I feel very blessed to have had loving relationships all my adult life, but now struggling to come to terms with a massive change in life.

Anyway, that's me I suppose. Here to be helped and to give help.

Hello everyone.  I'm 37. Male. I live in Columbus, Ohio. Most of my friends are gone now for many reasons. I'm in a relationship that is more like a good friendship. Great woman just think we are drifting apart more and more each day.

Would like to chat with some people who understand what I'm going through. 

I have many interests and hobbies. I'm easy to talk with. I don't pass judgement and I'm really laid back and silly when you get to know me. 

I connect better with females then males but would like to chat with anyone.

awomanwalksintoabar said:
I am also new.  I am 63, female and reside in Asheville, NC.  I was just noticing how many members are teens and in their twenties.  I was very lonely and depressed during those years, but I thought that maybe these days social media kept younger people connected to others.  Can one of you younger guys (or girls) tell me about your life experience right now, and why you think so many younger people are feeling lonely?  I am very interested.  As for me, I have always been a loner.  I was always “on the outside, looking in”, watching everyone else connect to others and develop friendships and families.  They now have children and grandchildren and I swear, that is all they can talk about.

Hi,

I'm 29, F, London UK

I think social media makes you feel more connected yet even more “on the outside, looking in”. People are sharing their best lfe, the fun times, holidays/vacations, parties, weddings. You end up with a constant feed of social lives which make you feel yours is lacking.

Mine is actually lacking (hence I'm on here) but some others do have decent social lives offline, but just feel it's not enough as you see what everyone else is doing. You wouldn't have had that as a constant feed 20+ years ago but now you are constantly seeing everyone else living it up so end up more consciously aware that you are not.

I think I posted on the wrong thread the first time, so sorry for that. (Sheesh, I'm always goofing)

I'm a 62 year old woman, live in a small town in North Carolina, married with children and got a bunch of grandkids. Wouldn't think I'm lonely, huh? I love my spouse, but we're just different.

I'd like to make some friends. I've had online friends in the past. I've had forums that I've run before, and can be fun. My spouse and I met online.

I do needlework, I like art, I try to write sometimes, and I like (yes, I really do) reality tv. I can have an intelligent conversation sometimes but I can also be funny.

Hey, this is starting to sound like a job application, or a dating site or something, so I'll shup.

I'm an Xennial, female, from the Pacific Coast.

I find social media very alienating and painful. But I think forums can be considered a form of social media, broadly speaking. I've had a very tough time on various crowdsourced sites where people post on a variety topics. And I've tried for years. I've never had luck on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, either.

I'm pretty nerdy. I have hipster/artsy tastes without being part of that crowd. I grew up a bookworm, but these days, I'm on the internet a lot.

My true self is actually big-hearted, genuine, warm, charismatic, and interesting. But usually, people wrongly think I'm cold, stiff, and boring because my anxiety and awkwardness makes me come off that way.

I haven't been able to find any true friends or a significant other anywhere online or in person.

Silve Xennial said:
Hello Xennial,
I'm from Long Beach, am not into groups either and consider being a loner the best.  It fits in with independent thinking and it sounds like it may describe you too, innocent but worldly describes me.  I have read hundreds of books but I have written one for the readers that would be intrigued by similar thinking.  To see if that's you, 

Fare thee well,
Doug Miura

Hello everyone I just joined. New to this whole idea of a forum regarding what its about and wanted to try.

Thank you admin for approving me. Now to figure out this profile stuff.

M.

Latest posts

Back