Do you like the way that you look?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Outcast

Goddamn, I'm too old for this honeysuckle. I've been told that I'm ugly most of my life and while I've improved a lot from my younger years (e.g. braces/ underbite, acne, overweight etc.) I still am not pleased with my appearance.

I've never actually been 'beautiful' and it's a bit discouraging to hear people say that a woman's appearance starts to go downhill at 30. I think I've 'maxed-out' what I could possibly do for my appearance unless I opt for extensive plastic surgery. Even then, plastic surgery has its limits.

My biggest issue and source of displeasure are my facial features and asymmetry. My face shape is asymmetrical (I think mainly because of my TMD problems) and it's been pointed out to me several times that my face is crooked or looks swollen on my right side. Furthermore, TMD is ******* painful so it's salt in the wounds. My eyes, nose, lips are all asymmetrical as well. I know that while a significant majority of people have asymmetrical faces - I look really, really messed up when looking straight-on in pictures and I feel agitated when I'm treated lesser based on my appearance.

At my lowest points, I was suicidal over my appearance (it was the source of my bullying, rejection etc.) and I questioned if I had BDD. It wasn't that I wanted to be a beauty queen...I just simply wanted to feel normal and confident but it was hard given the daily abuse I received for simply looking the way I do.

I'm in a better place now but goddamn, I feel so pissed to look the way I do sometimes. I'm well-groomed but my face shape and facial features are what they are and I just have to accept it. Within the last year or so, my eyes started drooping presumably from constant exhaustion and aging. My skin is worsening. 

I've felt like an ugly duckling all of my life and seems like that's not changing.

I'm only going to get uglier until I die.

fresia.

Do your best with what you have.

Genetics havnt been the most kind to me. Started losing hair at the beginning of high school. Luckily over time it isnt as uncommon to be bald. My face is also a little bit asymmetrical. People say they don't notice but I find it super obvious in every one of my pictures.

I've always felt badly about my appearance but it has slowly been growing on me.

I can't comment too much about your appearance because I don't know what you look like. Im sorry the situation seems to bad to you. Physical beauty is always a fleeting thing. No one really holds onto it as they get older. Its better to just accept it and not worry so much about it. Just stay healthy.

There's an old expression I was raised with that's a bit vulgar: "Chaque guénille trouve son torchon". Roughly translates as every handcloth finds it's wipe lol.
I cannot begin to tell you the number of very beautiful, drop-dead, top model type women whom I've seen dated what can only be REMOTELY described as a human being. It still shocks me to this day, that is, until I realize it doesn't matter; MANY people, not just woman, are very capable of seeing underneath to find the beauty of a person, if that person is a beautiful person inside. And then it's off to the races.
I considered myself very very average my whole life, if not ugly. It took many people telling me I was gorgeous for me to start not believing them at all LOL. I know it's hard, but concentrate on yourself and if you're patient and persevere enough, you WILL find someone who likes you for you. Just treat her right once you do or you'll end up like me.

Take care bro.

No, not at all. I look like honeysuckle. But y'know what? I'm fine with not being fine. I'm slowly learning to just ... let go. There were points where I was suicidal and my looks certainly were a part of the reason.
I'm almost 30 now. I do what I can: I wear clean clothes, I brush my teeth and wash myself regulary. What else could I possibly do? I've already wasted a lot of money on meds and "beauty products" or whatever you wanna call them; didn't help, my skin's still terrifying. And don't even get me started on that thing that's supposed to be a face.

Similar to Richard's expression, Polish people taught me: "Każda potwora znajdzie swego amatora", which roughly translates to "every monster will find its admirer". Maybe there's some truth in those sayings.

Wish I could offer an actual advice, but ... best I can do is to assure you that you're not alone.

First off.....fresia the people that told you that you were ugly.

This pisses me off. I grew up with a mother, aunt, and grandma that were constantly trying to get me to change my looks. Told me I needed to wear certain clothes, that I needed make-up, and since I was "gifted" they would say in the chest region, I needed to show that off. fresia them. I get hair on my chin, and they rag on me any day I don't puck them out. It's exhausting to work up to their **** standards.

The only person you have to please "looks" wise it yourself. If you think you look good wearing a certain thing, or dying your hair a certain color, or whatever, do it! When you have confidence in yourself, that is the attractive part of person.

I since am bothered by parts of my body because of the crap my family would say about me, but for the most part now, I do what I want. My husband thinks I am beautiful, so who cares. I am though, working on loosing weight for me. And with every pound I feel better about myself.

Hey Outcast.
You know, the symmetry thing is a generalisation, and is not necessarily a thing for everyone. I can tell you that for myself, I adore asymmetry, actually. I just find it aesthetically beautiful, interesting, unique, etc etc etc.

I guess that what i'm trying to say is, that feeling beautiful is incredibly important, but it's not only about your physical features.

I have always felt plain, ugly and unattractive. I look at other girls who are thinner, prettier and dress better than I do and I always feel like honeysuckle lol. I wouldn't say that I am fat but I am not rail thin and my breasts are too big and I hate that I have freckles. I have been told that people are more critical of themselves than others are.

It is what it is. You're either born ugly or you're one of the lucky few to be one of the beautiful people. Life sure has a sick sense of humor doesn't it?

Outcast, you silly sod. If you think about it, in the animal kingdom, we hairless humans are all as ugly as sin.

Physical looks are a strange thing. If I like you, you can look like the creature from the black lagoon, and I will find you attractive. If I dislike you, you can be a supermodel, and it'll still turn me off. If I like you, you could be a brain in a vat, and I would find the vat attractive.

I'm sure you are fine. I'm rough as guts myself. Don't be one of the beautiful people. They are vacuous and shallow. Hold to your brains, which you obviously have. And I'm sure you look just fine.

I've been told I look ok, some even call it hot or cute, but I don't see that myself if it is true, so the simple and only answer is no.

Now the way I actually look has nothing to do with how I feel about it, I don't need to have abs like a football player, and I don't want to shave my chest or whatever like male model. I would like to get rid of a little extra fat at most, and feel healthy and energetic.

I do the best with what I have but I hate how I look. My smile is the worst. One of my problems is I'll plan an outfit and think "I'm going to look super cute" and I end up looking frumpy.

I also hate the way I look.....Even though I know there is nothing wrong with me!

Its an awful affliction but has come to me by years of abuse and rejection. My Mother whom I hate with a passion used to call me plain and boring! So when people constantly pull you down no matter how you look it makes you feel ugly! There are days when I cant even look in the mirror, then days when I'm absolutely fine with how I look. Its weird!

We should embrace who we are but for us that are sensitive to our feelings and how people see us its very difficult to do!

I have been told that too. It used to hurt, but when I learned not to be bothered by it, I found comfort in being the way I am, I changed, and people stop telling me that.
Relax, realize that no one in this world has been like you and no one ever will be. You are unique, not a duplicate of someone, you are original. God didn't use ctrl+c and ctrl+v to make you, instead, created a completely unique version. That is so special.

Does anybody like the way they look? I've always considered myself ugly, and to be honest I still do. But I've had women tell me that I'm absolutely stunning and my confidence is my only problem... But no, I hate how I look.

Face wise - I think I'm pretty blessed.

Body wise - need to hit the gym more.

Latest posts

Back