Materialism?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentLife

Reaction score
I get the impression the majority of human beings are materialistic in this world.

Well, obviously I understand being materialistic is needed to an extent. Like you need a shelter to spend nights, warm clothes, and food. For the basic survival needs.

But other than that, what gives? Other than fulfilling basic needs I don't feel materialistic at all. I always aim to have as few things as possible in my living, because otherwise they start collecting dust and annoying me. And I don't need to collect things that I don't use anyway.

I know I am so detached from the world that I frankly don't understand the mindset of most people. But why are people so driven for "things"? Like, my brain doesn't take it. Complete incompatibility mode.

I rather have free time, interesting discussions, funny hobbies, wander around, breathe fresh air. Don't need "things" really.

SilentLife said:
I get the impression the majority of human beings are materialistic in this world.

Well, obviously I understand being materialistic is needed to an extent. Like you need a shelter to spend nights, warm clothes, and food. For the basic survival needs.

But other than that, what gives? Other than fulfilling basic needs I don't feel materialistic at all. I always aim to have as few things as possible in my living, because otherwise they start collecting dust and annoying me. And I don't need to collect things that I don't use anyway.

I know I am so detached from the world that I frankly don't understand the mindset of most people. But why are people so driven for "things"? Like, my brain doesn't take it. Complete incompatibility mode.

I rather have free time, interesting discussions, funny hobbies, wander around, breathe fresh air. Don't need "things" really.
Well, it's what we're "told" to do.

Most people tend to be herded in the same direction and not ask questions. We tell them it's important to be successful, have a lot of money, good job. Naturally, in the eyes of a majority, being successful is being rich and having all the most recent, up to date, high tech things in the world. When you have people who's goal in life is to be Donald Trump, it gives you an idea of what the idea of success is.

Thing is, WE, as a society, are responsible for it. Ads, commercials, shows, social media banners, we tell people to buy things 500 times a day.
Eventually, they will ;-)
We're kind of the reason they are because we allow it to continue. I imagine, if it existed like in the series, Vulcans would not behave in the same manner.

Richard_39 said:

Most people tend to be herded in the same direction and not ask questions. We tell them it's important to be successful, have a lot of money, good job. Naturally, in the eyes of a majority, being successful is being rich and having all the most recent, up to date, high tech things in the world. When you have people who's goal in life is to be Donald Trump, it gives you an idea of what the idea of success is.

Thing is, WE, as a society, are responsible for it. Ads, commercials, shows, social media banners, we tell people to buy things 500 times a day.
We're kind of the reason they are because we allow it to continue. I imagine, if it existed like in the series, Vulcans would not behave in the same manner.

Well said I have to say.

Society and economy is like one big machine, which keeps going in one direction and pushes all small ants (humans) along with them.

It all started with the creation of so-called civilization thousands of years ago, when power structures were established. People were not "equal" any more, some had more money and power and started dominating the society.

The rest is history, as they say.

SilentLife said:
Richard_39 said:

Well said I have to say.

Society and economy is like one big machine, which keeps going in one direction and pushes all small ants (humans) along with them.

It all started with the creation of so-called civilization thousands of years ago, when power structures were established. People were not "equal" any more, some had more money and power and started dominating the society.

The rest is history, as they say.

I gotta say for it's defense, though, it's better this way.
While people are figuring out new ways to find high paying jobs and buy things, they're not out trying to kill us or murder and torture and pillage. Which was a thing before the advent of modern society LOL. What I'm saying is it keeps people busy. In that sense...maybe a good thing.
I'm not buying a Keurig cofee machine though. That crap'll break down in a couple years, mark my words ;-)

I'm not really all that materialistic. I struggle to buy ANYTHING for myself, even when it's a necessity. I have to weigh the pros and cons and I even bug people endlessly trying to justify it before I buy it.

With my kids. They get everything they need and a little of what they want. I'm attempting to teach them not to be materialistic as well.

I think it's just an attempt to fill the void. People are unhappy and they grow up hearing that things will make them happy, so they work to achieve them far past the point of what's needed or wanted for its own sake. I've even heard of "spiritual materialism".

I like to collect things, depends on what I'm into at the moment. I don't do it because I'm unhappy or for any other reason that I just enjoy it. It's a hobby and its fun to buy something I like and it doesn't hurt anyone. I don't get why people want to crap all over it and talk about it like its a bad thing.

I enjoy collecting things too. There's things out there that I'm a big fan of, things I identify with, and things that I've always wanted to experience. Things that I feel would fit into the lifestyle I want for myself. I do feel like these things in life are meant to enjoy, and I want to satisfy my curiosity.

It's okay for others to be non-materialistic, to each their own. But I just don't like it when others expect me to be as well. I just wish there was something I liked doing, which made enough money for me to collect the things I liked and indulge my tastes.

Sci-Fi said:
I like to collect things, depends on what I'm into at the moment. I don't do it because I'm unhappy or for any other reason that I just enjoy it. It's a hobby and its fun to buy something I like and it doesn't hurt anyone. I don't get why people want to crap all over it and talk about it like its a bad thing.

Collecting things for your own and enjoying it is fine, no problem at all.

I was thinking more of the social aspect that "things" make you seem like more rich and hence give a higher status.

I used to do Star Trek models. I don't know what to call it properly in english, since I'm french and sometimes lacking in words, but it's those plastic models of ship you stick together with glue and paint. When I was a bit younger, there must've been like, 100 of those all around my room lol. I started with that because I liked sci-fi, but I really had my sights set on this very expensive, HUGE, wooden mast sailing ship model of the USS Constitution. At the time it was too pricey lol.
Maybe I should start that again, that was a lot of fun.

Anyway, I found Callie's thing about the kids interesting, because I'm struggling with that. I'm not materialistic for 5 cents, but my kids are taking a lot after their moms and it's a struggle to teach them things are only just that; things. It's one of the harder values to impart when everyone and everything, including their mom, keep buying affection with high prices attached. I can't compete, so I give them everything else, which is activities and memories which, to me, are far more important than just stuff. Where we're going in 80 years, we won't be able to bring anything anyway ;-)

I listened to a podcast on Happiness, I think it was on the TED Radio hour actually, and there was a segment on stuff. People get to the point where they have too much stuff. It takes over. That is why people like camping and staying in hotels so much. You don't have all the stuff looming over you there. You can relax.

I also have this home remedy book, and it was funny, one of the things it says to help with depression is to keep your house clean and organized. THIS IS WHY I AM DEPRESSED! ALL THIS CRAP!

I hope to downsize my stuff this year.

You know, only a week ago I would've been bragging about my Nike air max's I cherished  (In my football team colours) and I'd just got paid... then I got mugged... At the time it felt like the end of the world! Now, I just got a job (something that thief needs to f***ing get!) and I couldn't be happier. Not because of the money, because of the experience. Also I was stuck at 3am quite a bit away from home, and a bloke I've only had brief conversations with lent me the money to get home. Relationships, whether friends, family or a partner are a lot more important than material goods. But hey, I am still looking at some new Nike's online lol.

Work, buy, consume, sleep, repeat. That's what we're really taught as kids..

Osiris said:
You know, only a week ago I would've been bragging about my Nike air max's I cherished  (In my football team colours) and I'd just got paid... then I got mugged... At the time it felt like the end of the world! Now, I just got a job (something that thief needs to f***ing get!) and I couldn't be happier. Not because of the money, because of the experience. Also I was stuck at 3am quite a bit away from home, and a bloke I've only had brief conversations with lent me the money to get home. Relationships, whether friends, family or a partner are a lot more important than material goods. But hey, I am still looking at some new Nike's online lol.

It's good that you're feeling better after that terrible experience.  It's just too bad that there's people out there who enjoy preying on others, hopefully someday they bite off more than they can chew.  And congrats on the new job, way to get back on your feet so quickly.

I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with you getting a new pair of Nikes if you can afford it though.  I think it's nice to treat ourselves in life, as long as it doesn't turn into full-blown obsession with money.

And I hope that your shoes are too small for the thief!  That way, maybe he could sell them (which would be lame) but at least he couldn't ever grow into them.

Whenever I hear about ownership, materialism etc. this is what I think of:
[youtube]MvgN5gCuLac[/youtube]
Anyway. We're conditioned to go after "stuff". Money (and therefore things that money can buy) are a measure of success, and no one wants to be a loser, right? You gotta get more "stuff", prove yourself to the world, to the people around you, make them jealous of your totally necessary 140 bedroom villa. Rich people are more attractive, they make you feel more secure. Why do so many people spend the money they don't have on things they don't need? Insecurities, self confidence (or lack of it), all that jazz.

We're shallow. We like to think ourselves high and mighty; the most intelligent species, blah, blah, blah. Bullshit. We're herded like cattle, bombarded with the advertising lullabies, manipulated by fashion and trends. We're raised as consumers, after all, money makes the world go round!

This is why asceticism/austerity are an exception, rather than the norm. It takes a lot to go against everything you've been taught you should be.

I hate money with a burning passion; every time I go to a shop I've to consciously stop myself from buying pointless crap, snacks and items I didn't plan on purchasing in the first place. Still, I do my best to live in moderation, it's the best I can do.

X-1 Alpha said:

Haha, nice video.

I think the problem is that the whole economy model is built around 'consuming'. That's how we had the regression in 2009, because people stopped buying as much stuff as before. Then businesses went bankrupt, because you sell less of your stuff or services, and get less money.

But "the more you consume, the better the economy" circle also means why there are loads of ads and propaganda about consuming, because people want to keep up their income and economy system.

Personally I think there ought to be a more sustainable economy model than a greed-based one, but I am no economist to tell which one.

SilentLife said:
X-1 Alpha said:

Haha, nice video.

I think the problem is that the whole economy model is built around 'consuming'. That's how we had the regression in 2009, because people stopped buying as much stuff as before. Then businesses went bankrupt, because you sell less of your stuff or services, and get less money.

But "the more you consume, the better the economy" circle also means why there are loads of ads and propaganda about consuming, because people want to keep up their income and economy system.

Personally I think there ought to be a more sustainable economy model than a greed-based one, but I am no economist to tell which one.

Yeah, go tell that to your governement while they're renting their limos for lunch at the Waldorf :)

SilentLife said:
Haha, nice video.

Thank you :)

Yes, I do agree. I do think that instead of looking for a better way we're just diving deeper and deeper into this cesspool of a system, 'cause that's how it was working until now, so clearly we've found perfection and need to stick with it.
Of course, drastic changes would simply bring unnecessary chaos, but we need a long term solution, not "just keep it rolling, maybe it'll get better".

Also, I personally hate shopping now. Supposedly the technology is so much better now, so why is EVERY SINGLE piece of equipment "oh, 2 years guarentee is over? I guess I should stop working now" as opposed to the old electronics and items that if only maintained a little bit could easily outlive the owner? Oh, I know why, cause they've 4857487563726313812 copies left, laying in storage, and they're already switching production to a new model, cause the old one's not trendy anymore.
So much garbage ...
I had a set of furniture purchased 40 years ago, still in pristine condition, but it wasn't fitting the room design anymore, so I get meself a new one. Roughly the same cost (when comparing wage/spending then and now) and it literally fell apart when I was setting it up. What the actual fresia?

Osiris said:

Im glad things are looking up for you.

I also bought new nikes recently. The zoom all out lows instead of the airmax. I definitely understand the feeling. Its easily been the thing that made me the most happy in the past few months. They are so comfortable after a life of $10 walmart shoes and thrifted shoes. They are my first nice pair that ive been able to buy new. It would suck if they were taken.

[quote pid='848150' dateline='1501770906']

Osiris said:

[/quote]

Eat. Sleep. Conquer. Repeat.

Sorry. Just went Brock Lesnar for a second there ;-)

X-1 Alpha said:
Also, I personally hate shopping now. Supposedly the technology is so much better now, so why is EVERY SINGLE piece of equipment "oh, 2 years guarentee is over? I guess I should stop working now"

Ah, yes!

That's because if you build things to last for eternity, then one day people would stop buying stuff. Everyone already has one and everything works well. And that would be a disaster for economy!

That's why they build things, which last only a certain amount of time, because you would then need to shop again and - voila - you get income, business keeps going and thus economy model too. :p

Latest posts

Back