Materialism?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard_39 said:
[quote pid='848150' dateline='1501770906']

Osiris said:
Work, buy, consume, sleep, repeat. That's what we're really taught as kids..

Eat. Sleep. Conquer. Repeat.

Sorry. Just went Brock Lesnar for a second there ;-)

Eat. Sleep. Beat your meat. Treat the feet. To the sweet milky seat... repeat?

SilentLife said:
Ah, yes!

That's because if you build things to last for eternity, then one day people would stop buying stuff. Everyone already has one and everything works well. And that would be a disaster for economy!

That's why they build things, which last only a certain amount of time, because you would then need to shop again and - voila - you get income, business keeps going and thus economy model too. :p
Exactly :D

And what a great business model that is!

We're screwed, we're soooooo screwed :D

Most of my "things" are from my hobbies. I love photography, I have props, outfits, shoes, lights, stands, backgrounds... I love making things, I have a table saw, mitre saw, table sander, router, scroll saw, along with all kinds of hand held tools. I love Star Wars, I have models, a costume, collectables, pictures, etc. This is my one "collection" that most of the things in this category don't have a use. I want to make a life size R2D2 some day. (Or this: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=170250&page=21 ... about halfway down is an awesome picture of the den)

Most of my clothes, I keep till they fall apart. Same with shoes. In fact, clothes are often more comfortable once they become "thread bare".

As for status things... I had a 1998 Toyota Camry until this past year when the engine died. I was embarrassed about it. It was old and not in good condition. I was toying with the idea of getting a new paint job, so that it would at least look new. Since my car died and I don't have money for a new one, I have been riding my 1999 Honda Shadow. When it rains, I have rain gear. Thankfully I live in the South and can ride year round (we haven't had snow in 3 years... I have never ridden my bike in snow.) I just tell people that I love the freedom that motorcycles give. Yes, I do love riding my motorcycle, but I would much rather be in a car in the rain. I'm just embarrassed by not having one (I do not want to go into debt for one either. Trying to live debt free. I am saving up to purchase one.)

For the most part, I do not aspire to "keep up with the Jones."

Latest posts

Back