Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Yartening.....(yard, art, and garden)
Wow...I love your yart! I truly appreciate talented and creative people, especially having no skills of my own.

There's a place here that has a giant sunflower in front. Used to be a greenhouse, was made from an old 80s satellite dish. It's pretty cool....

Look forward to seeing more of your creations!
Social vegan. I avoid meet.
Thanks, Yukongirl

This is last month's project.  I planted all 70 spaces on 9/26 and 9/27.  Each spot got two snap peas in the back, to climb the fence, and a mixture of herbs, and cool weather things like brassicas are in the rest (there are probably 500 plants in it, give or take).  Everything was seeded except the first seven spaces.  They were transplants from the nursery (One horseradish plant, six strawberry, and three dinosaur kale).

Anyway, this turned out way better than I expected.  I'd seen people use roofing tin panels to make garden planters before, but never like this.
Last year I was looking through craigslist and came across fifteen used metal tins for sale.  They had holes in them where they had been screwed down before, but other than that, they were in great shape.  The guy wanted $80 for all of them (they are almost $30 a piece here at Home Depot).  They're eleven feet long by thirty six inches wide.  I just figured I could use them for something someday.

I bent one of the panels along one of its "ribbed" sections.  It was a bear fight to do it.  These are heavy tin, not flimsy, and it was a very dangerous task to do to be quite honest.  Having two people would be best.  Anyway, it's not rocket science, and if you see the pictures, it'll probably explain it better than I can.  
I bent the other side of the panel at another rib, and viola, a very unstable flimsy trough had been created.
(Keep in mind, there was no plan, this just kept evolving.)
I found I could overlay the panels to make one super long trough!  Awesome, because I'd been needing a way to section of the driveway from the tree area, and this was the perfect solution.  New puppies dictate lots of new fencing in the yard this year.............

I needed to brace the panels to give them something to hold the top together, and keep the whole thing from being so flimsy.  I used cheap 1" X 1/2" firing strips from Home Depot.  I forget how many I used but it was about 40.  They were a dollar a piece.  
 I trimmed and framed the top of the trough with the strips.  The wood frame totally solidified the trough, and I was confident it would hold soil without collapsing at this point. 

Each trough got flipped over, I cut a big drain whole out every foot or so, covered that with hardware cloth so no gophers could crawl into the planter (I actually did this before the wood frame part.)

It all got laid out, overlapped about a foot or so on each section of new panel, and framed up.  I had no intentions of painting it, but it started to look "nice" so I figured I'd put the time into it.  (I found the red/orange colour of paint at home depot for $8 in their oops section.  The trim colours are just leftovers.

It took seven panels, and it's exactly seventy, one square foot spaces.  Each space holds one cubic foot of soil.  Perfect for square foot gardening.  I put a couple of inches of woodchips at the bottom (just as filler) and then about another six inches of compost I get from my local landfill that is just composted yard trimmings from the city (It's super cheap, one penny for one pound), and the last four inches I packed with my own homemade mixture of potting soil.

I ran a new drip line to each square, and stapled a section of hardware cloth to the front............f'ing dogs..........
Shit's growing in it.  What more is there.  Lol.

I'm not sure if these will end up as benefits (I hope they are beneficial anyway), but they make sense.
Any runoff from the trough will water the fruit trees under them.
The runoff will have nutrients that would have been lost, the trees should enjoy this as well.
I live in a sunny area, lol.   300+ days a year of it.  The trees will shade the planters in the summer when it's 110 degrees out.  Maybe they will give too much shade?  I'm not sure.
In winter, the trees lose their leaves, full sun for lettuce, broccoli, etc.
Oh yeah, it's really nice to sit on the little mechanics stool and wheel myself down the line with a beer in my hand, lol.  That's actually the best part.  Smile

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7S6nIn1FPfhNJXm13
Wow, that's beautiful. Any advice for a beginner gardener? I have a huge yard and it could look much better.
[Image: c2a.gif]