How to clear the depression (not a clinical one)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewOrder2016

Reaction score
I experienced a depression episode this month. It was horrible. I walked slowly, felt like crying, felt like killing myself and the only time that I liked was when  I went to bed to sleep.

Here are some tips:
- Clear your schedule for the next day, and a few days after. 
Do activities that you like doing. Do that for a week, as the depression will always persist in a few days after, even if your life has improved.

- Dont plan anything and dont do things that are strenuous mentally.

- Go to places that distract your mind like the beach.

- Talk to people. - That is an important way of distraction.

What do you think?
You could post your own tips in this thread.

Most people can't clear their schedules for the day that easily. I know I sure as hell couldn't. Hell, last night and right now is the first time in months I had any time to myself where I didn't have to do anything.

Also, I think it's a mistake to take the day off or a few days because if you are depressed, it's just as likely that you will lie around doing nothing. At least if you are working or whatever, you are staying busy and doing the things you have to do.
Don't get me wrong, if you can get away and actually would go, it's a good idea, but if you wouldn't go or didn't have the time, I think it's important to just stay busy, no matter what it is.

TheRealCallie said:
Most people can't clear their schedules for the day that easily.  I know I sure as hell couldn't.  Hell, last night and right now is the first time in months I had any time to myself where I didn't have to do anything.

Also, I think it's a mistake to take the day off or a few days because if you are depressed, it's just as likely that you will lie around doing nothing.  At least if you are working or whatever, you are staying busy and doing the things you have to do.
Don't get me wrong, if you can get away and actually would go, it's a good idea, but if you wouldn't go or didn't have the time, I think it's important to just stay busy, no matter what it is.

I think it is a good idea to do things that you only like for the next few days.

Thanks for sharing.  I did exactly the tips that you wrote for a recent incident that happened about a week ago.  I'm one of the lucky ones to have some flexibility where my schedule is concerned.  I took off from my work at home job, did a lot of walking, got a massage, and came out of the depression (which wasn't as severe as previous episodes) in 24hr.

I think the points made were good about sleeping too much if you do this.  In my experience, it depends on the severity of your depression.  As I've focused on recovering my body, my depression episodes have become less severe.  in the past I'd do that all the time (take naps during the day, and so on...) I've been there with severe depression and I remember the walking in slo-mo feeling that came with that! Horrible. Like you're the walking dead. Happened in 2003 when I had postpartum depression.

However I found that when I worked a regular job with no flexibility, it ultimately made things worse, because I never had a chance to take care of myself if I needed to.  Sometimes you just need to rest and reflect. Again in 2003, I was threatened to lose my job because I just couldn't get out of bed to work, it was a huge chore. I also suffered with crippling anxiety about everything. When you are threatened with unemployment, that adds insult to injury. You get even more anxious, fearful and depressed. That is a viscious cycle that is hard to get out of.

I am glad my tips worked for you..

I have money problems today ;) so I feel anxiety and some depression too.. I know how it feels.. especially with the slow walk/movements.

Thanks for sharing those tips, lol. I've been really depressed lately, I'll try out those tips and see how it works.
I actually agree with the clearing schedule part. Like I have a bunch of stuff to do at the moment, but I'm too depressed to get it done, and forcing myself to get everything done only makes myself feel stressed out which in turn causes me to feel more down.
Like I was trying to get some laundry done earlier, I was planning to wash 3 sets of clothes earlier, but I ended up washing only 1 set of clothes because I couldn't find enough energy to get it done. I was also planning to write a resume earlier, but I ended up procrastinating because I couldn't find the energy again. And I'm supposed to go to bed now because I need to wake up early tomorrow, but I'm procrastinating again because of my low moods. Ugh all those depression is killing me.

I think I'll just take it one step at a time. I'll try doing nothing for the next few days and see how it goes, lol.

I have a few more solutions to get rid of the bad brain chemistry.

Take a day to eat healthy food. Some healthy food contains serotonin (you could research those types of foods).

You can take in more caffeine drinks, or drink alcohol beverages, throughout the day. <- Anything to get rid of the bad brain chemistry.

Fast shooting games, are good way of distraction.. find a game to be hooked on ...

Listen to particular music.

Something that matches your mood.

If you have the energy, talk to random people you dont know, do a simple exercise for a long time.. if you dont, just sleep more often during the day. Sleep heals.

Turn a radio on or some program in the background, so you dont feel alone in the house. Good debates in the background always do the trick.

You can combine all together..
I used to play Battlefield Bad Company 2, while listening to music and while getting drunk..

That method beats any depression.

I also used to do strenuous activity after work for 3 hours, 4 times a week..

For one or two days it is, to get rid of the bad brain chemistry.

Alternatively, he can take the stupid pills, you take!

This life is only meant for two people. Two people who love one another.. else, you just rot in agony.

You dont understand that. You are the reason a gene pool should have a life guard, so people like you wont make it to the next generation. If evolution was a person and had to hear your arguments it would,
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

What you are encouraging here is substance abuse. "One or two days" is just the beginning. I know a little something about substance abuse and it is NOT the answer, even for "a day or two."

NewOrder2016 said:
For one or two days it is, to get rid of the bad brain chemistry.

Alternatively, he can take the stupid pills, you take!

This life is only meant for two people. Two people who love one another.. else, you just rot in agony.

You dont understand that. You are the reason a gene pool should have a life guard, so people like you wont make it to the next generation. If evolution was a person and had to hear your arguments it would,

You get one warning to not throw around insults. If you don't like what someone says, ignore it. You not liking it doesn't mean no one has the right to express themselves just like you are.

I see you've received warnings before. Shame.

NewOrder2016 said:
Have some sense of humor. It will alleviate the dreadful you!

There's no humor to being rude and nasty to people. You received several warnings.

1) You are reading this.

2) You are human.

3) You can’t say the letter ”P” without separating your lips.

4) You just attempted to do it.

6) You are laughing at yourself.

7) You have a smile on your face and you skipped No. 5.

8) You just checked to see if there is a No. 5.

9) You laugh at this because you are a fun loving person & everyone does it too.

10) Glad I made you forget about your problems even if it was for a little bit.

Latest posts

Back