Don't even know where to start

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustMay

Reaction score
I suppose dot points is the best way to describe what's going on for me because if I start going into detail I fear I will overload the server LOL

Daughter of an emotionally abusive mother (though she hid behind the 'I'm so sweet and kind' mask that even I didn't see it until my late 20s.
Daughter of an emotionally empty father who had no love to share.  I've seen him smile once, ever!

Happily married for 42 years with 2 wonderful (but busy!) adult sons and 3 grandchildren, and a daughter-in-law who I really like, but has no time for me.

Worked in office/admin jobs for 30 years which I really loved but had to move around every 4 years or so because there was *always* one other person in the office who would give me all their work, pick on me and make my life hell.  Yes, I see now I was as much to blame for that, but when you've grown up hyper-vigilant to keep mother happy (*or else!*) I guess that people pleasing is what comes naturally and I never even remotely had the guts to stick up for myself.

Now I don't work any more.  I spend lovely days with my husband.  We get the errands done, or whatever needs doing, until around 3pm when he goes to work.  And then I sit here.  Do a bit of housework, sometimes some crafts, but basically stare at YouTubes until he gets home at 1am.  All of the activities put on by the council etc are in the mornings.  I don't want to do stuff in the mornings, and there's virtually nothing on in the evenings.

I've tried 3 different camera clubs, but all of those had the compulsory bullies in them.  I've recently tried a sign language meeting but everyone is falling all over themselves to accommodate one single member, who I am convinced (based on her own actions and words) is not actually deaf and I'm sorry but that infuriates me.  You don't have to be deaf to belong, but I can't tolerate someone lying about being deaf to get attention and have everyone falsely pandering to her 'needs'.  Probably reminds me of having to constantly bow and scrape to my mother.

And then there's my mother-in-law who is dying.  Has been for 5 years, and the incredible stress that her health is putting on the family, who were once lovely people but are now angry and intollerant, and happy to spray all that around at the least provocation.  They expect my husband to be on hand for appointments that mean him only getting 5 or 6 hours sleep at night and have no thought of the late hours that we keep.  Hubby and I have both reached the point where we wish she would pass because she's certainly not going to get better, and the strain of having her alive is making everyone's lives unbearable.  But I'm getting into detail, and I wasn't going to do that.

So I'm desperately lonely in the evenings (though happy in the days, which I am honestly and thoroughly grateful for!), exhausted, feeling used up.  I can't seem to make a friend, no matter how much I desire it.  Haven't had a friend for 6 years now - not a single one other than my husband.  I had to end the friendship 6 years ago as I always felt depressed for about 24 hours every time after spending time with her.  She was always talking about miserable topics that majorly set off my panic disorder and took me ages to recover.  I've tried some forums, but after throwing myself into hours and hours every day supporting others when they go through a hard time I never got any replies when I was going through a hard time myself, so I left each of them in turn.

I'm honestly afraid to join anything new.  I say to my husband 'I wonder if I join ... how I'll stuff it up this time.'  And he tells me I'm being negative.  No, it's experience.

So that's about it.  Thank you if anyone manages to read through all of this.
May (not Mary, it's May!)

Hello May, greetings to this forum! It sounds like there are some repeating patterns to your experiences over the years. I have a few scenarios that seem to be self perpetuating as well....it's most annoying and a bit tricky to change long held patterns.
I'm glad you're here.

constant stranger said:
Hello May, greetings to this forum!  It sounds like there are some repeating patterns to your experiences over the years.  I have a few scenarios that seem to be self perpetuating as well....it's most annoying and a bit tricky to change long held patterns.  
I'm glad you're here.

Thank you Constant Stranger.  Yes, there really are.  I suppose most people are like this, but some people's repetitions are healthier than others.  Thank you for replying.  I live in Australia so I posted while most everyone on here was asleep.  Such is life on the bottom of the world :)

TheRealCallie said:
Welcome to the forum, May, not Mary :p

Ha ha, thank you TheRealCallie.  You'd be amazed how many people normally proof-read and 'correct' my name for me ;)

Welcome May,

As previously mentioned, probably most of us have those **** repeating cycles and trying to figure out how to not fall into them again is difficult at best. I don't have an answer for that. I do understand your feelings on being there for people and then not having that reciprocated when you need it. Hopefully we can be there for you this time. =)

You mentioned camera clubs... you do photography?

And you are from Australia! I have wanted to visit there for many many years. Ever since I saw a movie back in... middle school or high school (I can't remember the name, and no it was not Crocodile Dundee.) Hopefully, none of us will make you feel like you are being given a pineapple. (I actually work with an Australian right now and I believe I am using that correctly.)

Anyways, welcome to the Mayhem and feel free to drop a line whenever.

Drew said:
As previously mentioned, probably most of us have those **** repeating cycles and trying to figure out how to not fall into them again is difficult at best. I don't have an answer for that. I do understand your feelings on being there for people and then not having that reciprocated when you need it. Hopefully we can be there for you this time. =)

You mentioned camera clubs... you do photography?

And you are from Australia! I have wanted to visit there for many many years. Ever since I saw a movie back in... middle school or high school (I can't remember the name, and no it was not Crocodile Dundee.) Hopefully, none of us will make you feel like you are being given a pineapple. (I actually work with an Australian right now and I believe I am using that correctly.)
Many thanks Drew.  Repeating cycles are so annoying aren't they?  Not least because you're in them through not having the skills (even if you have the knowledge, and many don't) to change things.

I'm a hobby photographer yes.  Been very happy with a few of my shots over the years, but mostly I'm average.  I don't find the Australian countryside very pretty or inspiring really.  The greens are all the same shade of green - having grown up in England with regular visits to Europe until I was 11.  There's so much history and such amazing and beautiful sights, both nature and man-made places in that part of the world.

So yes, I am from Australia.  Perth's northern suburbs.  Could the film have been Mad Max, or are you younger than that?  I think The Matrix was made here as well.  I wonder what the film was?  Ha ha, if s/he's a true Aussie the pineapple sentence may have been a bit more descriptive than 'given'.

JustMay said:
Drew said:
And you are from Australia! I have wanted to visit there for many many years. Ever since I saw a movie back in... middle school or high school (I can't remember the name, and no it was not Crocodile Dundee.) 
Many thanks Drew.  Repeating cycles are so annoying aren't they?  Not least because you're in them through not having the skills (even if you have the knowledge, and many don't) to change things.

So yes, I am from Australia.  Perth's northern suburbs.  Could the film have been Mad Max, or are you younger than that?  I think The Matrix was made here as well.  I wonder what the film was?  Ha ha, if s/he's a true Aussie the pineapple sentence may have been a bit more descriptive than 'given'.

It was not Mad Max. The only term I remembered from the movie was "Frog Dreaming" and I couldn't even remember who had been in it. After a quick search, I found the movie, it was actually called that in Austrailia, but in the US it was called "The Quest".

Dangit. Gotta do some training...

I haven't even heard of that film, but I'd got 2 small children (7 and 5) when it came out, so I guess I was busy.  Hope the training is as enjoyable as it's possible to be.

My mom was mentally abusive. I think she was unhappy said:
I suppose dot points
is the best way to describe what's going on for me because if I start going into detail I fear I will overload the server LOL

Daughter of an emotionally abusive mother (though she hid behind the 'I'm so sweet and kind' mask that even I didn't see it until my late 20s.
Daughter of an emotionally empty father who had no love to share.  I've seen him smile once, ever!

Happily married for 42 years with 2 wonderful (but busy!) adult sons and 3 grandchildren, and a daughter-in-law who I really like, but has no time for me.

Worked in office/admin jobs for 30 years which I really loved but had to move around every 4 years or so because there was *always* one other person in the office who would give me all their work, pick on me and make my life hell.  Yes, I see now I was as much to blame for that, but when you've grown up hyper-vigilant to keep mother happy (*or else!*) I guess that people pleasing is what comes naturally and I never even remotely had the guts to stick up for myself.

Now I don't work any more.  I spend lovely days with my husband.  We get the errands done, or whatever needs doing, until around 3pm when he goes to work.  And then I sit here.  Do a bit of housework, sometimes some crafts, but basically stare at YouTubes until he gets home at 1am.  All of the activities put on by the council etc are in the mornings.  I don't want to do stuff in the mornings, and there's virtually nothing on in the evenings.

I've tried 3 different camera clubs, but all of those had the compulsory bullies in them.  I've recently tried a sign language meeting but everyone is falling all over themselves to accommodate one single member, who I am convinced (based on her own actions and words) is not actually deaf and I'm sorry but that infuriates me.  You don't have to be deaf to belong, but I can't tolerate someone lying about being deaf to get attention and have everyone falsely pandering to her 'needs'.  Probably reminds me of having to constantly bow and scrape to my mother.

And then there's my mother-in-law who is dying.  Has been for 5 years, and the incredible stress that her health is putting on the family, who were once lovely people but are now angry and intollerant, and happy to spray all that around at the least provocation.  They expect my husband to be on hand for appointments that mean him only getting 5 or 6 hours sleep at night and have no thought of the late hours that we keep.  Hubby and I have both reached the point where we wish she would pass because she's certainly not going to get better, and the strain of having her alive is making everyone's lives unbearable.  But I'm getting into detail, and I wasn't going to do that.

So I'm desperately lonely in the evenings (though happy in the days, which I am honestly and thoroughly grateful for!), exhausted, feeling used up.  I can't seem to make a friend, no matter how much I desire it.  Haven't had a friend for 6 years now - not a single one other than my husband.  I had to end the friendship 6 years ago as I always felt depressed for about 24 hours every time after spending time with her.  She was always talking about miserable topics that majorly set off my panic disorder and took me ages to recover.  I've tried some forums, but after throwing myself into hours and hours every day supporting others when they go through a hard time I never got any replies when I was going through a hard time myself, so I left each of them in turn.

I'm honestly afraid to join anything new.  I say to my husband 'I wonder if I join ... how I'll stuff it up this time.'  And he tells me I'm being negative.  No, it's experience.

So that's about it.  Thank you if anyone manages to read through all of this.
May (not Mary, it's May!)

Latest posts

Back