What Keeps You Going in Life?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Komodo

Reaction score
What's the driving force in your life that keeps you strong. What gives you a reason to get out of bed in the morning despite your particular issue such as depression, loneliness or suicidal thoughts? Stuff like that.

Well I have to get out of bed by a certain time to take my meds and if I don't house staff will knock on my door to get me up.
But apart from that there's music and the internet, and going to the gym and working out so that I can eat more ice cream, my favorite kind is the cake flavored ice cream yum :)

yep that's about it :)

Somebody else depends on me to manage everything.
Besides that I hate my life.
Maybe things will get better if I just keep on going.

constant stranger said:

CS, I know the feeling.  I could have written this myself.  You'll rarely hear me complain on this site, but this hits very close to home.

The projects I plan and the things I want to do. Places I want to go and experiences I want to have. I believe that as long as I keep going and improving and working at it I will eventually reach the point where I can actually start doing the things I want to do with my life. Up until now money has been the main thing holding me back... but it won't be for much longer. :)

To be able to do whatever I want without feeling guilty or stressed or worried about money. Not feeling guilty whenever I feel like I'm not using my time productively. The way things are right now I can't properly enjoy leisure. I can't play games anymore. I have a hard time getting into shows. I can't read without a nagging feeling that I should be up and working instead.

Once I reach where I want to go I hopefully won't have those problems anymore. That's what keeps me going. Soon I will be free.

beautiful loser said:
constant stranger said:

CS, I know the feeling.  I could have written this myself.  You'll rarely hear me complain on this site, but this hits very close to home.

This. Exactly.

Sex with my lovely lady
Beer
Coffee
Smiling every morning knowing how great trump is doing in office
And helping people who been bullied like myself

I actually have no idea at this point. I'm just doing stuff for the sake of doing it i guess.

Remembering that every single person if fighting their own battle to exist, even if theirs seems easier than mine it's not for them

Obligation to others. Sense of pride. Unwillingness to be broken. Belief that this life is a gift and I'll be judged, at least partly, on how I handled it.

Spending time with my kids that are still living at home. Other than that, I just have work.

I would have given up on life if only it wouldn't greatly hurt and traumatize my family. They've done so much for me and I can't repay all of that with suicide, because killing myself would be like saying they didn't do enough. So I keep on living and hope that one day I'll look back and think, I'm glad I didn't do it. 

I also read this post that said, "You never need to make a permanent decision because of temporary feelings."

Wordy said:
I also read this post that said, "You never need to make a permanent decision because of temporary feelings."

Sometimes temporary feelings last for many years and there isn't an end in sight. Last year I told my wife I was going out and didn't know when I would return. I kissed and hugged my children, told them I loved them and said goodbye. I went to the place I had picked out and was looking up the proper way to tie the knot so it would not come loose when I got a surprise email message from a dear lady. It was enough to stop what I was doing, contact someone, and to keep going. I've only told 3 people in my life about this and none of my family knows.

Honestly, right now, the only thing I am living for is to pay off bills. I'm in a temporary position and have money and I can get a significant portion of my debt paid off (consumer debt... not mortgages or school loans.) On the other side of that, I am hoping that I'll take trips and explore, work on hobbies or something to find that elusive unicorn called happiness.

I have a lot of little rituals I look forward to, from checking for new podcast episodes to hearing from family. To be honest I don't feel like I really have a big life purpose that gets me up in the morning, other than that I have to on workdays.

Latest posts

Back