Can men be friends with women?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xplorer

Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Hi guys.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Recently, I saw this little interview with Steve Harvey where he explains why it's impossible for men and women to be friends. What do you think? Personally, I totally agree with him because I was doing the same thing for years. Staying friends with attractive girls in hope that sometimes they will be attracted to me.[/font]

Steve Harvey says men cant be friends with women.

When women have a lot of guy friends especially if they are married, there is a big red flag there. Either insecurely or there is something going on behind the scenes. If you have one or two guy friends from childhood ok fair but women saying "I get along better with guys than women" as their card, it's ******* bullshit.

soresoul said:
When women have a lot of guy friends especially if they are married, there is a big red flag there. Either insecurely or there is something going on behind the scenes. If you have one or two guy friends from childhood ok fair but women saying "I get along better with guys than women" as their card, it's ******* bullshit.

How do you figure it's bullshit?  Men are more often not as dramatic as women, so for some women they DO get along better with guys.  
And what of lesbians and gays?  Can they not be friends with the opposite sex? There is no attraction there....

I, too, dislike Steve Harvey.

I agree about men can be that way so I won't argue that point. On another hand, no matter what the guy is (gay or straight) has a lady or man and they have a lot of male friends especially they are in a relationship, that person is going to be left neglected or feel left out. If the lady always have guy friends hanging around. Constantly texting or whatever, there is a problem. It might not be sexual but it still makes them feel left behind especially if they are in a relationship.

If my lovely lady sees me texting 10 ladies she would be very unhappy with me and I can't use "we are just friends " card. I'm sorry like I stated it's very wrong for a lady or men have too many friends of the opposite sex.

soresoul said:
I agree about men can be that way so I won't argue that point. On another hand, no matter what the guy is (gay or straight) has a lady or man and they have a lot of male friends especially they are in a relationship, that person is going to be left neglected or feel left out. If the lady always have guy friends hanging around. Constantly texting or whatever, there is a problem. It might not be sexual but it still makes them feel left behind especially if they are in a relationship.

If my lovely lady sees me texting 10 ladies she would be very unhappy with me and I can't use "we are just friends " card. I'm sorry like I stated it's very wrong for a lady or men have too many friends of the opposite sex.

To me, that indicates a lack of trust in your partner.  Whether that stems from insecurity or an actual reason not to trust someone, I don't know, but if they trusted their partner and they were not insecure or jealous, it wouldn't be a problem. 

Not me, I didn't like my ex having female friends.....but, that was because he had cheated on me before with female friends.  Before the cheating happened, I didn't care at all who he was friends with, male, female, transgender, gay, lesbian, it didn't matter to me. 

I feel that in order for a relationship to work, you need to have outside lives.  Maybe not so much outside that your partner doesn't know about them or hang out with them every once in a while, but you need to have separate friends.  If you don't, if you rely on the other too much, it will just create more problems.

OK that's the problem right there where  you say "trust issues" with your partner. It's pretty much your masking or trying to throw that saying to make it okay for your partner to have opposite sex friends. It's not a matter about sexual, trust issues, or whatever you want to throw on the grill but for someone in a relationship and their partner has endless "friends" of the opposite sex. Like I said prior a couple friends ok fine, but to the point where she or him has their friends over or has always something thing to do because her/his friends, your only making your partner in your relationship feel left out or getting shut down. Even if the partner is willing to join along with the said friends, but wouldn't they get tired of never to have any alone time because they always have to be around friends? Again it's a agree to disagree but still however you look at it, it's wrong for anyone in a relationship to have opposite friends or too many of them.

soresoul said:
OK that's the problem right there where  you say "trust issues" with your partner. It's pretty much your masking or trying to throw that saying to make it okay for your partner to have opposite sex friends. It's not a matter about sexual, trust issues, or whatever you want to throw on the grill but for someone in a relationship and their partner has endless "friends" of the opposite sex. Like I said prior a couple friends ok fine, but to the point where she or him has their friends over or has always something thing to do because her/his friends, your only making your partner in your relationship feel left out or getting shut down. Even if the partner is willing to join along with the said friends, but wouldn't they get tired of never to have any alone time because they always have to be around friends? Again it's a agree to disagree but still however you look at it, it's wrong for anyone in a relationship to have opposite friends or too many of them.

Where did I say ALL THE TIME?  I never said that.  No, that's not okay, but to have friends around if you need them or want to hang out every once in a while....what's wrong with that?  If your partner has no friends or places to go, that's not really on the other person, it's on them and that, as I said, will cause problems in the relationship.

Then what's wrong finding a way to mingle with the same sex? The door can work both ways, if you find that same sex person with the same intrest. Yeah granted guys can be easier to talk then ladies and vice versa but again if that person strictly has friends of the opposite sex, that will cause problems more and trust will go out the door. Again, each person is different I get that too.

I called one of my friends today about this topic and he is gay and black and I asked him, how would you feel if your partner was friends strictly with ladies? His response was "I tell him to get the fresia out of my life with his honeysuckle on the street because that's just disrespectful to do that to somebody you love." Yes, even gays find it wrong too.

Steve Harvey? He gets a million dollars to say anything. I wouldn't bother listening to him.

This is a cringey attempt at throwing men under the bus for cheap edginess points. Doesn't make a lot sense either. With a lot of women there's never going to be a "chink in the armor", being that they're married, too old/young, or not into men. So we're supposed to believe virtually none of these women have any genuine male friends? Stupid.

I'm a walking stereotype. I've never been "friends" with a woman that (at least in the back of my mind) I wasn't interested in having sex with. Virtually every male I talk to agrees. But I don't hang out with a lot of betas, which are often self-deluded virtue-signalers. Most guys can be honest with themselves. Many cannot.

ardour said:
This is a cringey  attempt at throwing men under the bus for cheap edginess points. Doesn't make a lot sense either. With a lot of women there's never going to be a   "chink in the armor", being that they're married, too old/young, or not into men. So we're supposed to believe virtually none of these women have any genuine male friends? Stupid.

I'm not sure what kind of women you're talking about. But I have friends that are male. Just friends. Nothing more to it. It is possible. Perhaps not for everyone, but it does happen.

I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...

Xpendable said:
I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...I... I... I... I...

That's what it looks like when someone is sharing their own personal experience without making sweeping generalizations across broad cross-sections of society. 

;)

bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:

That's what it looks like when someone is sharing their own personal experience without making sweeping generalizations across broad cross-sections of society. 

;)

And using those single experiences as some kind of evidence of the contrary... which is not.  ;)

Xpendable said:
bleed_the_freak said:
Xpendable said:

;)

And using those single experiences as some kind of evidence of the contrary... which is not.  ;)

And what else am I supposed to provide? I don't talk for everyone like you want to. Be a smart ass all you want. It does happen. Maybe not to you, but I could understand why someone wouldn't want to bother with you, as much as a sarcastic smart alec as you are.

Latest posts

Back