Shaking my head at some people

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLonely79

Reaction score
I was having this loonngggg conversatioin with this woman who I met through dog rescue, but she is a handful, big time. Lot's of my connections from dog rescue, almost all of them, were made on facebook. There are still numerous people that I converse with and help, and like wise, that I have yet to meet in real life yet.

So at one point, we were talking about people who we knew through dog rescue. She wanted me to invite some people out because she really wanted to go out (I don't ever go out ever, but was thinking about because Denise actually does so much for the dog community). So we came across one name as someone we could invite:

Denise: Oh ya, you have to ask Melissa, don't forget

Me:      Oh yes, I love her! Can't forget about her (and I really meant that, I like Melissa a lot)

Denis:   Oh ya, do ya? Ya really love her? Do you even know her? Please tell me anything you know about her in order to "love her"? (some honeysuckle like that)

(Very startled by that) Eventually responded, not to her, but to myself

Me:     Honey, anyone who consistantly likes my posts on facebook like Melissa, when no one else ever does (not everyone is fortunate to get even one like and no one knows how rejecting and hurtful that feels) and doesn't leave me hanging like a complete loser on facebook for the world to see, I love that person. I'd probably even take a bullet for that person. Ok? Yes, it doesn't take much for a sad person like me to actually really like someone. I'm pathetic. Thanks for reminding me. Thank you EVER so much.

Of course I couldn't tell her this for obvious reasons, so I really couldn't answer her and felt like a complete jackass. By the way, so much for being mature adults. I'm 36 and she's 56.

You don't have to know everything about someone in order to like them. I don't get why anyone would jump on someone like that about knowing someone super well. For 36 and 56 though, that's a lot of thought being put into a younger people's game of social medias.

No, she had no reason to jump down your throat like that.

I don't really understand why people put so much stock in what does and does not happen on Facebook. It's just a website. No one has to like what you post, hell, no one has to pay attention to what you post at all. Life isn't a popularity contest unless you allow it to be. Focus on yourself, not who likes what on social media.

Miss Lonely,

About a month ago a deactivated my FB account. Every few months, I would review my past activity, sometimes going back years, and delete things that were not important or posts that no one liked or commented on. For 2009, the first year I was on FB, I only have 3 post remaining. This last time I did the review I asked myself why do I post anything when so many of my posts no one likes/comments on? It was pointless. It became a negative in my life. Not that I needed to be "popular", but because it made me feel that no one cared about what I was doing or sharing. I don't need to have another negative in my life.

This Saturday, one the ladies I work with told me I was "awesome". I cannot tell you when the last time I received a compliment was. Just thinking about that comment almost brings tears to my eyes.

As I have almost no positives in my life, I try to limit my exposure to negatives as much as possible. For me, FB became a negative. I have not missed it at all. (I do have frequent thoughts of, "I should post this", but then I remember I have no platform for it anymore and move on.)

OH! And for eliminating negatives, that includes self-talk! I do not call myself a loser or pathetic or lame or sad or anything else. I implore you to eliminate those words from your thoughts about yourself. They do not help! (You could replace them with positives, that might help, but it is not something that I do.)

Drew said:
Miss Lonely,

About a month ago a deactivated my FB account. Every few months, I would review my past activity, sometimes going back years, and delete things that were not important or posts that no one liked or commented on. For 2009, the first year I was on FB, I only have 3 post remaining. This last time I did the review I asked myself why do I post anything when so many of my posts no one likes/comments on? It was pointless. It became a negative in my life. Not that I needed to be "popular", but because it made me feel that no one cared about what I was doing or sharing. I don't need to have another negative in my life.

This Saturday, one the ladies I work with told me I was "awesome". I cannot tell you when the last time I received a compliment was. Just thinking about that comment almost brings tears to my eyes.

As I have almost no positives in my life, I try to limit my exposure to negatives as much as possible. For me, FB became a negative. I have not missed it at all. (I do have frequent thoughts of, "I should post this", but then I remember I have no platform for it anymore and move on.)

OH! And for eliminating negatives, that includes self-talk! I do not call myself a loser or pathetic or lame or sad or anything else. I implore you to eliminate those words from your thoughts about yourself. They do not help! (You could replace them with positives, that might help, but it is not something that I do.)

Aw, thank you Drew. 

Even though I am telling the absolute truth, I was somewhat joking. Trying to be light hearted about what "Denise" said to me.

MissLonely79 said:
Aw, thank you Drew. 

Even though I am telling the absolute truth, I was somewhat joking. Trying to be light hearted about what "Denise" said to me.

Ahh, I gotcha. No worries. I am here for you /*performs a sweeping bow at the waist

:D

Drew said:
Miss Lonely,

This is such a good post. :cool:

Latest posts

Back