Do these words describe you? Then its probably why your single

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael2

Reaction score
10 Of The Worst Ways To Describe Yourself In A Dating Profile

WORDS-TO-AVOID--e1403063923109.jpg

From Here

Give me a good reason why this shouldnt make me despise people in general.

Most of those words describe me....however, I'm single because I want to be and even if I didn't want to be, I wouldn't use dating sites. So, yeah. lol

But I likely wouldn't use most of those words in a dating profile....well, maybe cristianmingle. :p

I don't use those words to describe myself in dating profiles, but I was never very successful at them anyway.

I don't see anything wrong with those words. Following the link, I can see why "Physically fit" would attract women more, but "perceptive"? lol Seems like a word anyone can apply that word to their profile. Maybe they have certain buzzwords that get cycled through. Men who use "respectful" get 35% less views/contacts? Sigh.

I guess it could come across as dishonest. They are all good traits but for someone to say that about themselves... is a bit strange in my opinion. I mean, we're not exactly an objective judge of our own character.

As the jedi are fond of saying "It's true from a certain point of view" (which is why the Jedi are crap.)

"Physically fit" - what does that mean? Compared to who? I can run (more like jog) 5K but my BMI says I'm obese. The only reason I would not say I am "fit" is because I do not measure up to where I want to be physically. My sister worked up and ran a 5K once. I was so proud of her. But her run time (and she did run the whole way, didn't walk at all) was almost twice my time. Since she ran the whole way, does that make her fit? I am sure there are plenty of model-type/skinny girls who can't even run a mile, let alone 3.

And as I said before "Perceptive" is so vague and has no meaning. Actually, every single one of those words are subjective. If you don't personally have an issue with using it, why not apply it?

Physically fit = 6 pack abs. I wouldnt expect complex reasoning from small minds.

TheRealCallie said:
michael2 said:
Physically fit = 6 pack abs.  I wouldnt expect complex reasoning from small minds.

I know plenty of people who are fit and don't have a six pack....

I think you're giving the average person too much credit.  Things are never this complex to them.  Everything is streamlined and simple because alot of thought is never put into it.  

Almost all these traits are doublespeak.  

Men
Physically fit = 6 pack abs, not someone who can run a mile in under 8 minutes

Women
Hard working = You'll clean the house and keep a job so I wont be the only source of income, not someone who is a diligent worker in whatever they do

Besides,  I remember when Kim Kardashian was asked by her mother some time back when she was still single what she wanted in a boyfriend.  First words that came out of her mouth was 6 pack abs.  My sister has a friend who is pushing 50, and her ideal man begins with 6 pack abs and good teeth.  My sister tried to cover for her by saying women want a strong (physically fit) man because they want a protector,  and 6 pack abs is a sign a man can be that for them.  Because we all know the men who worked out to gain 6 pack abs did it to help protect their future wife.  It has nothing to do with eye candy,  at all.

So, both you and your wife are working, but only SHE has to clean the house? WTF. No, clean up after your **** self, you are MORE than capable.

And physically fit or a 6 pack could also mean they are an ******* who is going to beat you to a bloody pulp. Hey, anything is possible, right? It sounds like, from what you are saying that is DOES have to do with eye candy.

I like how "Perceptive" and "Thoughtful" are totally apart on the male graph and being "Funny" and "Spontaneous" are also so far away from the women graph. Kinda shows people don't truly know what those words mean.

That list makes me sad.

Men don't want a moral, smart girl because that means sex with obligations. Women don't want a man with underdeveloped peacock feathers.

It is really hard not to be cynical sometimes.

Erasercrumbs said:
That list makes me sad.

Men don't want a moral, smart girl because that means sex with obligations. Women don't want a man with underdeveloped peacock feathers.

Personally, I would rather have a man with NO peacock feathers, because there's less of a chance he will be an arrogant *******.  And if some jackass doesn't want me because I have morals...well, he can just go fresia himself, because I wouldn't want him anyway.

Erasercrumbs said:
That list makes me sad.

I think its because we usually assume that whenever someone has to use "moral" or "smart" to describe themselves there is a high chance they are either very uppity and self righteous or are just completely full of themselves. Those types are usually just a pain to deal with in general.

Plus men know women like to lie about that kind of thing. "No hookups" "only looking for friends" "good christian girl" etc... The appearance of being moral is much more important to a lot of people than actually BEING moral.

Im not saying I feel this way but this reasoning makes more sense to me than men just wanting sex without obligations.

For men it seems the worst terms are similar. High chance the person using those terms is gonna be shitty to deal with. They are also just boring terms in general. The list of high ranking terms are all much more interesting sounding and stand out more.

michael2 said:
10 Of The Worst Ways To Describe Yourself In A Dating Profile

WORDS-TO-AVOID--e1403063923109.jpg

From Here

Give me a good reason why this shouldnt make me despise people in general.

I doubt the problem is having those characteristics is the problem, it's probably more to do with boasting about it, if people want to get to know you they want to find out if you have these characteristics through conversation rather than have you say it in your profile, you shouldn't have to say your caring or respectful if your actions reflect it and let's face it we're jaded as hell so we just assume they're lying

^^lol, yeah, you might as well put you would NEVER lie on your online dating profile. The profile is only used to get you in the door. Doesn't really matter what you put, as long as it's eye catching and makes you look interesting. After that, it's entirely on you to show them who you are. Very few people actually believe online dating profiles....

Latest posts

Back