I was thinking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rust

Reaction score
With so many technological advancements I was wondering what people would think of this kind of situation:

Let's say robots were created with almost exact copies of human brains, they have the same learning capacity, they understand emotion, they release dopamine when something good happens and have every other feature of the human brain, the only difference is that they are artificial. Do you think they are the same as humans in terms of morals or is there something that sets us apart, if there is something that sets us apart what is it? Aren't humans also just an incredibly intricate systems? if these things were created without human error could they be considered superior?

This is a topic that is often touched on in media, especially science fiction, but they never really build on it so I was interested to see what people thought, although I guess it comes down to the concept of souls

hmmm that's an interesting question rust.

Have you seen the pictures of the human nervous system laid out on a table, it's a little unseemly so I won't post one here but you can google it. And it's essentially all we are, the rest of our body is just for protecting the nerves and the brain and for carrying out the nerves and brain's commands. So if we could artificially create robots with the same brain and same nervous system and all that then I think they'd be the same and they'd probably have morals since they'd have the same brain capacity and parts that create our morals, they'd probably have philosophy and emotion and could interact and socialize with us as well. They might even think they're humans as well.

Hey isn't this like the plot for blade runner or something?

Also I think that the human soul resides in our brain, so in a sense these robots would have the same souls that we do. That's what I think about it.

evanescencefan912 said:
hmmm that's an interesting question rust.

Have you seen the pictures of the human nervous system laid out on a table, it's a little unseemly so I won't post one here but you can google it. And it's essentially all we are, the rest of our body is just for protecting the nerves and the brain and for carrying out the nerves and brain's commands.  So if we could artificially create robots with the same brain and same nervous system and all that then I think they'd be the same and they'd probably have morals since they'd have the same brain capacity and parts that create our morals, they'd probably have philosophy and emotion and could interact and socialize with us as well.  They might even think they're humans as well.

Hey isn't this like the plot for blade runner or something?

Also I think that the human soul resides in our brain, so in a sense these robots would have the same souls that we do.  That's what I think about it.

I would agree with you, although many people think of the soul as a very spiritual thing rather than just sentience so I was wondering how they would view this stuff, also I've seen a lot of things touch on this but I've never seen blade runner, is it any good?

Blade Runner is a good movie. As for your question... What sets us apart from anything else is our soul. (I personally don't believe the soul is a part of our body, but there is no evidence either way) I would think that robots would be able to turn off their emotions (or pain) and they would be designed to be faster, smarter, stronger than humans as well. It would be odd to program them so they would be as frail as us. I would hope there was a program that would prevent them from harming us as well. (Basically the 3 laws)

I would also wonder if they could make intuitive leaps in logic or have "hunches" about things. I don't know if they could be programmed to be creative or have an imagination.

I think in many ways they would be our superiors, but not in everything.

Drew said:
Blade Runner is a good movie. As for your question... What sets us apart from anything else is our soul. (I personally don't believe the soul is a part of our body, but there is no evidence either way) I would think that robots would be able to turn off their emotions (or pain) and they would be designed to be faster, smarter, stronger than humans as well. It would be odd to program them so they would be as frail as us. I would hope there was a program that would prevent them from harming us as well. (Basically the 3 laws)

I would also wonder if they could make intuitive leaps in logic or have "hunches" about things. I don't know if they could be programmed to be creative or have an imagination.

I think in many ways they would be our superiors, but not in everything.
I guess if they were flawless they couldn't be considered the same as us, as for the hunch thing that has a lot to do with past experience and learning so I'd assume they'd have something like that

I believe in a component called the soul, which is separate and apart from those things we can observe. I believe this is by design and that such robots would lack this component - a soul.

bleed_the_freak said:
I believe in a component called the soul, which is separate and apart from those things we can observe. I believe this is by design and that such robots would lack this component - a soul.

completely agree. which is what makes me agnostic. if our soul was assigned a body, then there's a good chance it goes back home when its finished its shift.

Most of our psychological traits are learned things, taught to us by our environment. So if a robot with true ai that can learn new things, and we teach it the way we teach a child then yes, it will be like us. whether we teach it to be good or bad.

Seems like error is key to creativity, and creativity is what distinguishes intelligence from algorithms. No "soul" required-- just a willingness to abandon hard logic at various points in a process.

Latest posts

Back