If you work, do you talk much to others? Does it change anything?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
This is something I've been curious about. 

I was at my loneliest in college when I was studying in a field that attracted a lot of shy, introverted people. People rarely talked to each other, let alone me, so my sense of isolation only increased and I didn't leave with any friends. I only "befriended" my instructors.

Eventually, I decided it wasn't for me and started working at a small store where I was around 2-5 other employees during the day. People talked a lot and included me, and I actually felt a lot better despite not really being friends (they were all much younger or older). 

I've since moved on, but it was very different from both my schooling and my retail experience in a grocery store when I was young. People at that store were terrible and petty.

Does talking to coworkers help you? Do you usually meet people that are friendly, or problematic?

I talk fairly frequently with my coworkers. We often share many common interests and you would think that would spark a friendship, but it hasn't. For the most part, being at work and interacting with others is usually enough to fill my "social interaction" quota; however, part of me often wonders why others at work are able to make those friendship bonds that they go out and do things together. For some reason I have never been that person. Monday rolls around and I hear the stories of what they did and where they went, but I never get invited.

Most of the jobs I have worked at have had decent people. While there are petty or drama making individuals, I usually try to stay out of those waters.

I talk to people at my job and at jobs I've had. Sometimes it leads to friendships, sometimes it doesn't. I am working on not being bothered by others' opinions of me and not dwelling on the past. You never know who you can be friends with if you don't at least try.

I only talk to them about stuff regarding work, since I'm a caregiver and it helps when the person working the prior shift gives a "heads up" on anything noteworthy about our residents that day. Other than that, I don't really talk to them since they are much younger and we don't have much in common, nor am I interested in things much since I suffer from depression. But mostly it's because they're younger and therefore we don't have much in common.

I run my own business so I have to talk business or job related issues to them. I don't talk my personal life with them and plus half the time I'm wearing headphones blasting slayer while I'm doing computer work or inventory. There were times I had to put a no talking policy unless it's job related because of the drama or tension. I don't put up with unprofessional people.

"Does talking to coworkers help you? Do you usually meet people that are friendly, or problematic? "

I get along quite well with most of my coworkers. Then again, I'm an extrovert and have no trouble talking to people and making friends. I couldn't come to work and not b.s. from time to time, as it would make work so boring and time nearly come to a standstill.  Plus, with all the office politics going on, we have to get together to vent (management there is absolutely clueless at times, hence the reason we just had another layoff a couple of weeks ago).

With most of the guys I talk to, we normally just talk about movies, music and hobbies that's about it. Like Soresoul, I never talk about my personal life.  A couple of others like to go on and on about their lives but that is when I make my exit.  Overall though, most of the people I work with all get along and are always helping each other out in times of need (I work in a large manufacturing plant.)

Now, there is the occasional ******* that will only talk to you when he/she wants something or when you nod your head "hello" they will look the other way as if you don't exist.  After being around them a couple of times and seeing their true colors those are the ones I just end up ignoring.  Luckily, there are about four of them, but they work in different departments and I only have to deal with them about once a week.

TheRealCallie said:
I work at home, but I do talk to my co-workers throughout the day...via Facebook.  :p

I wish I could just do this sometimes, to be honest. Although it may not help me much with my own situation.

I get along well with my co workers.... we usually go out for dinner once a week etc... I like talking to people, it helps make the day pass.

Latest posts

Back