What online community have you been in the longest?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tealeaf

Reaction score
I've been thinking back and I think this is the longest-running site I'm still a member of. Two of the ones I visited in the early 2000's shut down. Sometimes I don't have much to say, but I'm still checking in. Sad that I still need it after almost 6 years, though.

I frequented a book discussion forum from 2006 to 2012. Towards the end, I just wasn't getting much out of the forum and left. Same old story for most of the forums I've joined, really. There just came a point where the topic or purpose ran its course. ::shrugs::

I joined a survivalist, post-oil-age forum in 2009 but it self destructed by 2013. Come to think of it a few others did the same thing....too much bickering and PO'd people dropping out. ALL is the longest running site still active, for me.

There's a couple of forums I joined back in 2005, one in 2007 and a couple in 2008 and have been and still am a member today.  One I still post on occasionally, and also a moderator on there for the past few years.  The other one's I rarely post on but still visit once in awhile.  There were a few other sites I was on for a long time but they have shut down now or I've closed my membership.  Then there is this forum.

Besides this one. I'm a very active member of a message forum of bully victims such as myself. I also post on wrestling forums and of course bacon forums.

This one. Can't recall how long. I left for a few months and came back. I think I started a few months after Minus.

ALL is the longest membership for me too, so i'm another like you Tea Leaf. It's nearly 4 years now.
Would I miss it if it folded? Nope not really, it's a bit like those snotty neighbours who just about manage a brief hello if you pass them on the street. Maybe it's me,maybe it's others, who knows?

Jently said:
ALL is the longest membership for me too, so i'm another like you Tea Leaf. It's nearly 4 years now.
Would I miss it if it folded? Nope not really, it's a bit like those snotty neighbours who just about manage a brief hello if you pass them on the street. Maybe it's me,maybe it's others, who knows?

Wow if that isn't ever a smack in everyone's face. It just might be you. You do remember that this is a loneliness forum, you are going to have people who go through moods or depressed states where they don't want to talk or reply to people This isn't just a regular type of discussion forum, it deals with a lot more personal issues. Not everyone is going to be a chatty person. I'd rather those neighbours who manage a brief hello at least you know they aren't being fake.

Apologies is I worded that badly, it was in no way meant as a dig at people, just my experience here so I guess Yes it must be me.

Facebook, I guess. I have been on, though not consistently, since 2006. I have been here for less than a year. I enjoy the consistency here, though. Facebook feels more fake to me.

It depends upon your definition of 'community'. There are places online that I still frequent 20+ years after I first visited them, but I wouldn't exactly call them a community. I've been here for around 5 years now and I've been taught how to make pretzels, encouraged to take up powerlifting, exchanged Christmas cards, had laughs, jokes and met a great friend with whom I can be myself. I might not visit much any more, but it's definitely been a positive in my life.

Jently said:
ALL is the longest membership for me too, so i'm another like you Tea Leaf.  It's nearly 4 years now.
Would I miss it if it folded? Nope not really, it's a bit like those snotty neighbours who just about manage a brief hello if you pass them on the street.  Maybe it's me,maybe it's others, who knows?

Bonding with people online can be hard, because aside from loneliness there may not be too much bringing people together. I only made a couple good friends who were in similar life phases, with some similar interests, who've long since moved on. 

And yes, it can be very hard sometimes to keep up with chat if someone is depressed. Words online can often only do so much -- I can be on forums all day, but in real-life, I'll still be alone.

Cavey said:
It depends upon your definition of 'community'. There are places online that I still frequent 20+ years after I first visited them, but I wouldn't exactly call them a community. I've been here for around 5 years now and I've been taught how to make pretzels, encouraged to take up powerlifting, exchanged Christmas cards, had laughs, jokes and met a great friend with whom I can be myself. I might not visit much any more, but it's definitely been a positive in my life.

Hmm, any group of people who talk to or know each other, I suppose. Whether that's a forum or a Facebook group.

I think this one, really. I haven't really been a part of any other community for any reasonable amount of time, i don't think. It's almost five years on here now.

If facebook counts then 10 years. Then it would be here about 4 years, and I am very grateful for it, I like alot of people here, and made an amazing friend who I talk to everyday and care a great deal for.

At this point, it'd probably be Youtube; not counting my old account that stupidly got deleted by me, I've been there regularly and love to watch and even sometimes post my own stuff since.... at least 2008. 11 years now. Wow.

I recall back then the oldest videos had "3 years old" and now.... well, yeah... time flies.

I've only ever migrated because the ones I was with shut down. Except for the rise of modern social media. I fell out with facebook, stopped liking it, never cared for twitter, and Instagram just seemed outright to me, like why try anymore? Forums and message boards have always been a thing I like, but I tend to be weary of public forums, because I got robbed at gunpoint a few years ago by a Swede that had a chip on his shoulder and got me and my friends mistaken for some other people who'd robbed him at that festival a few hours earlier.  I met the guy online. They somehow figured out the address of my family without me posting it online and ever since that, I'm weary about public access. I mostly handle it just by trying to be more careful about personal information, and I also never use the same screen name if I can avoid doing so...thankfully, I'm a creative and so that comes in semi-easily to me.

Back in 2005 I set up a forum for the 'Resident Evil' games and movies - but I was only on it or a few months before I gave it away to someone else. I was on a 'Doctor Who' forum in 2008 before getting bored with it. I've visited other forums as a guest.

So It's probably this one.

Latest posts

Back