My First Post

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonelystudent

Reaction score
Hi there, 

I want to start off by saying thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this, you my not realise it but it does mean a lot to me. 

I've recently started university and moved into the city to a student accomodation. This is the first time Ive ever lived away from home and I had big aspirations about what was going to happen when I arrived. I expected to be sat with my new room mates talking and maybe even having a drink with them. I was very wrong, when I arrived I learned that 3/5 of them don't speak my language at all and the other two don't really leave their rooms. I know this seems pathetic but I come back to my flat and I'm just sat on my own, no one to talk to and its become extremely lonely. Ive suffered with varying mental health problems before I came here but have been going through CBT and this seemed to be working. Being on my own seems to be bringing up a lot of emotions that I'm really struggling to deal with, add this to the pressure of trying to keep on top of my uni work load and it just seems to be overwhelming me. 

Please if this forum has any advice for me I would be extremely grateful, i dont care how little anything will help me right now. 

kind regards
Lonelystudent

I'll take the time to read your posts and I sympathize with your plight. Stay focused on your uni work load, that's why you're there, and know this: if you get behind on the academic stuff it'll become a problem that just adds to the personal issues you're coping with.
You're lonely? University social life not what you were hoping for? It'll get better, keep your eyes open to the people around the campus......some appropriate person or group is there for you....be ready to respond or initiate something when you cross their path.

Yeah, sometimes we have these big ideas of what things might be like then...wham reality sets in and oh, it isn't what we expected. It can be a lot harder but overcoming it and finding ways of making your life better will help in the long run. You'll learn how to deal with issues and really discover who you are. It's not going to be easy, it never is, and you might have to do a lot of it on your own.. Learning how to function in the outside world is one of life's greatest achievements. Not many can can say they have. The more hurdles you overcome the stronger you'll be. Good luck.

First of all I want to thank you both for taking time out of your day to read this post and thank you even more so for the advice.

Im going to buckle down into my studies, like you said its the real reason I'm here. My next aim is to try and approach some of the students on campus, maybe even see if someone wants to start a project with me. Im going to try and not get to bothered about my flatmates, they may not be sociable but they're clean so thats a plus Ive heard horror stories about student flats haha.
again thank you both for the advice it really has helped calm my nerves

lonelystudent

Welcome to the forum, lonelystudent. :)

Good luck on your studies and I certainly hope that things will get better for you in university. Ultimately, a lot about how you feel with things in life depends on how you perceive them and want to handle them. I wish you the strength and patience to go through the challenges.

Take care!

You guys KNOW this is a bot right? I mean, the same thing happened earlier down the intros. No avatar, long weird story, then nothing.

GizmonicScrewdriver said:
You guys KNOW this is a bot right? I mean, the same thing happened earlier down the intros. No avatar, long weird story, then nothing.

I sincerely promise you mate I'm not a bot :') genuinely I was looking for advice and support from this site as it was recommended to me by a friend of mine who said that he found really good people that helped him here

lonelystudent said:

I sincerely promise you mate I'm not a bot :') genuinely I was looking for advice and support from this site as it was recommended to me by a friend of mine who said that he found really good people that helped him here

I didn't think you were a bot.  How are things going for you now, lonelystudent?

constant stranger said:
lonelystudent said:

I didn't think you were a bot.  How are things going for you now, lonelystudent?

things are picking up slowly, i've made some friends at uni now and im used to my flatmates not being able to talk to me. Just trying to get all of my work done. thank you for checking up gizmonic means a lot mate ::)

lonelystudent said:
I sincerely promise you mate I'm not a bot :') ...

Don't worry about him. He had difficulty distinguishing between bots and people.

It is great that things are going better. It sounds like you are settling in.

Some of my best friends are bots!

Lonelystudent, you will come out of this wiser. Don't worry. Just hit the textbooks and we are here if you need us.

Yup, I like bots. Especially the Auto variety ;-)

Welcome to the website, lonelystudent. Hope we can help you get through some tough times.

Latest posts

Back