Poll: Can a person be happy if he has no friends?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
65.00%
13 65.00%
No
35.00%
7 35.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can a person be happy if he has no friends?
From my experience, you cant.
A person can be happy if they decide to be happy. I would forego "happy" and try for content, but even then, you will be miserable or whatever until you decide to be otherwise. Society isn't to blame, who you do and do not have in your life isn't to blame, etc etc.... your attitude and how you decide to go about life is to blame. Change what you can, accept what you can't. Shit will begin to fall into place after that.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]
From my experience, yes, you can.
(Reversing the question: Can a person be unhappy, if he has many/good friends? My answer stays the same.)
Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. (Albert Einstein)
(10-25-2017, 03:35 AM)zero Wrote: From my experience, yes, you can.
(Reversing the question: Can a person be unhappy, if he has many/good friends? My answer stays the same.)

How can you be happy and be alone, teach me, because I really struggle to generate the feeling of happiness.
It's a two way street either way. Yeah you have the people saying such shit as "you can't blame anyone but yourself. It's all on you etc" but clearly said person is not on the other side of fence. When you do your best to be a friend to someone but they only use you when your only needed or a third wheel but yet you try to continuously be the better person and be a friend but the other person continues to walk all over you. You need said friend for your time of need? Yup, sorry not taking calls that day. Then you say one day fuck this, it's just a losing battle and isolate yourself from that person but all of a sudden your the asshole, public enemy number 1 or whatever but that person wants to throw it in your face "you have yourself to blame" because you didn't do enough or more for them but you get nothing in return and you will like it.

So that being said, satisfy yourself first before any other people, gods etc because at the end of the day your going to have yourself not them. And yes friends are nice but pick and choose wisely or continue to get let down. To answer the question, yes it's better not to have friends.
(10-25-2017, 07:22 AM)soresoul Wrote: It's a two way street either way. Yeah you have the people saying such shit as "you can't blame anyone but yourself. It's all on you etc" but clearly said person is not on the other side of fence. 
Clearly said person may have been on the other side of the fence for quite a few years...
Don't knock a person's advice when you have no idea what they have or have not been through.
Want to talk?  Check out the CHAT ROOM 

[Image: Quotefancy-19173-3840x2160.jpg?resize=1165%2C655&ssl=1]
(10-25-2017, 08:25 AM)TheRealCallie Wrote:
(10-25-2017, 07:22 AM)soresoul Wrote: It's a two way street either way. Yeah you have the people saying such shit as "you can't blame anyone but yourself. It's all on you etc" but clearly said person is not on the other side of fence. 
Clearly said person may have been on the other side of the fence for quite a few years...
Don't knock a person's advice when you have no idea what they have or have not been through.

Wasn't knocking on anyone advice more like said person shouldn't come to that conclusion of being borderline judgemental on one person self before listening to both sides of the story. My comment was not directly toward anyone but people who plays judgement cards. But if you read my full point then you understand there was a reason behind my comment.
I think people can be happy without some of the major things in life such as friends, family, partnership, shelter, food, safety. Someone could have very little to eat and live in a poor country, but have strong social connections and a community to lean on. Someone else could be happy with no social connections but a beautiful natural environment, good food, love of nature, etc.

The fewer things someone can count on the less likely they are to be happy and their connection to the world around them, positive or negative, is a big part of it. I don't think a "positive mindset" would make a prisoner of war in solitary confinement very happy.
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
It would be difficult for the majority of people to be happy in a complete absence of friends/close family. We evolved as social groups after all, it's the reason for language, culture, etc. I think Chomsky's research into linguistics indicates that language is part of cognitive hardwiring. There's plenty of evidence that the lonely suffer a higher incidence of mental illness and die earlier. Obviously there are exceptions that prefer isolation, others with bad enough experiences to avoid friendships. Generally: not really.
(10-25-2017, 10:45 AM)ardour Wrote: It would be difficult for the majority of people to be happy in a complete absence of friends/close family. We evolved as social groups after all, it's the reason for language, culture, etc. I think Chomsky's research into linguistics indicates that language is part of cognitive hardwiring. There's plenty of evidence that the lonely suffer a higher incidence of mental illness and die earlier. Obviously there are exceptions that prefer isolation, others with bad  enough experiences to avoid friendships. Generally: not really.
I would lean towards this view for most people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Married and Lonely seeking friends tangy002 54 90,175 06-21-2019, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Buddy_2019
  Loneliness, no friends, no relationships. Quietude 8 1,173 05-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Blackice1993
  No Friends Better Than Fake Friends Bluemoody 8 636 04-07-2019, 12:45 AM
Last Post: Enpatsu No Shakugan
  Meeting friends through dating sites. PixiePalace 8 3,185 03-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  suicidal, homicidal, no friends... trapped JMcC 3 699 02-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Last Post: zach26
  34 alone, no family and no friends Hawx79 59 136,233 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  I'm a sad, pathetic person who doesn't deserve a relationship Matt L 20 1,284 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: bearcat22
  "Are You Happy?" Case 26 3,876 12-21-2018, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Baka
  Happy, but lonely jessee22 9 1,072 12-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  no friends and dealing with parents seperation mate 3 618 09-16-2018, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Tealeaf