Can a person be happy if he has no friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can a person be happy if he has no friends?

• Yes

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters
A person can be happy if they decide to be happy. I would forego "happy" and try for content, but even then, you will be miserable or whatever until you decide to be otherwise. Society isn't to blame, who you do and do not have in your life isn't to blame, etc etc.... your attitude and how you decide to go about life is to blame. Change what you can, accept what you can't. honeysuckle will begin to fall into place after that.

From my experience, yes, you can.
(Reversing the question: Can a person be unhappy, if he has many/good friends? My answer stays the same.)

zero said:
From my experience, yes, you can.
(Reversing the question: Can a person be unhappy, if he has many/good friends? My answer stays the same.)

How can you be happy and be alone, teach me, because I really struggle to generate the feeling of happiness.

It's a two way street either way. Yeah you have the people saying such honeysuckle as "you can't blame anyone but yourself. It's all on you etc" but clearly said person is not on the other side of fence. When you do your best to be a friend to someone but they only use you when your only needed or a third wheel but yet you try to continuously be the better person and be a friend but the other person continues to walk all over you. You need said friend for your time of need? Yup, sorry not taking calls that day. Then you say one day fresia this, it's just a losing battle and isolate yourself from that person but all of a sudden your the *******, public enemy number 1 or whatever but that person wants to throw it in your face "you have yourself to blame" because you didn't do enough or more for them but you get nothing in return and you will like it.

So that being said, satisfy yourself first before any other people, gods etc because at the end of the day your going to have yourself not them. And yes friends are nice but pick and choose wisely or continue to get let down. To answer the question, yes it's better not to have friends.

soresoul said:
It's a two way street either way. Yeah you have the people saying such honeysuckle as "you can't blame anyone but yourself. It's all on you etc" but clearly said person is not on the other side of fence. 
Clearly said person may have been on the other side of the fence for quite a few years...
Don't knock a person's advice when you have no idea what they have or have not been through.

TheRealCallie said:
soresoul said:
It's a two way street either way. Yeah you have the people saying such honeysuckle as "you can't blame anyone but yourself. It's all on you etc" but clearly said person is not on the other side of fence. 
Clearly said person may have been on the other side of the fence for quite a few years...
Don't knock a person's advice when you have no idea what they have or have not been through.

Wasn't knocking on anyone advice more like said person shouldn't come to that conclusion of being borderline judgemental on one person self before listening to both sides of the story. My comment was not directly toward anyone but people who plays judgement cards. But if you read my full point then you understand there was a reason behind my comment.

I think people can be happy without some of the major things in life such as friends, family, partnership, shelter, food, safety. Someone could have very little to eat and live in a poor country, but have strong social connections and a community to lean on. Someone else could be happy with no social connections but a beautiful natural environment, good food, love of nature, etc.

The fewer things someone can count on the less likely they are to be happy and their connection to the world around them, positive or negative, is a big part of it. I don't think a "positive mindset" would make a prisoner of war in solitary confinement very happy.

It would be difficult for the majority of people to be happy in a complete absence of friends/close family. We evolved as social groups after all, it's the reason for language, culture, etc. I think Chomsky's research into linguistics indicates that language is part of cognitive hardwiring. There's plenty of evidence that the lonely suffer a higher incidence of mental illness and die earlier. Obviously there are exceptions that prefer isolation, others with bad enough experiences to avoid friendships. Generally: not really.

ardour said:
It would be difficult for the majority of people to be happy in a complete absence of friends/close family. We evolved as social groups after all, it's the reason for language, culture, etc. I think Chomsky's research into linguistics indicates that language is part of cognitive hardwiring. There's plenty of evidence that the lonely suffer a higher incidence of mental illness and die earlier. Obviously there are exceptions that prefer isolation, others with bad  enough experiences to avoid friendships. Generally: not really.
I would lean towards this view for most people.

ardour said:
It would be difficult for the majority of people to be happy in a complete absence of friends/close family. We evolved as social groups after all, it's the reason for language, culture, etc. I think Chomsky's research into linguistics indicates that language is part of cognitive hardwiring. There's plenty of evidence that the lonely suffer a higher incidence of mental illness and die earlier. Obviously there are exceptions that prefer isolation, others with bad  enough experiences to avoid friendships. Generally: not really.

I dont know what Chomsky's research has to do with it.

But you are right.

Yes, solitude is a gift.

Aloneness is not just a physical situation, aloneness is our very true nature. That's how we are supposed to be, that's why we have a package of all the tools required to do so, when we are born.

We have been taught to be dependent on others because freedom is dangerous, dangerous to the society, to the institution, so we grow up seeking the company of others, and we try to make peace even if the person we find is shitty, because otherwise we know that we will be alone, and aloneness sounds scary, we would have to walk alone, nobody will be there for us, this sounds scary because we are taught so. That's why marriages still exist, that's why all the religions still exist.

Friendship is a great thing to have, but like all the relationships, friendship has to be about interdependence, neither dependence nor independence. Means that friendship shouldn't be a need to be fulfilled so that we can avoid becoming lonely.

Yes, happiness has nothing to do with having friends, lover, parents, etc.

Look at Chester Bennington, how many people loved him, still do, how many friends he had, how many kids he had. He had everything, friends, fame, a partner, kids, money, fame a great team, talent. But still he killed himself. Happiness has nothing to do with others. Nothing.

ardour said:

I agree. I prefer isolation, but I still have my family to spend time with. I have no friends and I'm actually proud of it. No one wants to have friends that aren't really friends.

I just prefer spending time improving myself instead of wasting time longing for others' attention.

The little things that bring me joy like my favorite movies and my art & writing projects. Oh, what the heck? This forum belongs on that list. Loneliness occurs when you dwell on negative thoughts - which, in turns prevents you from being happy. Therefore, if you can evade those negative thoughts, you can be happy.

That's subjective. It depends on what a person bases their happiness upon which, is decided by a combination of personality type and worldview.

Don't listen to any slap=happy crapola about how it's up to you whether or not you are happy. They will
say some horse manure like:
You can do anything with the right attitude!  Just choose to be happy.

This is a vicious evil LIE.

We live in a material world, and YES you DO need material things to obtain happiness.
Everything else is pure lying to yourself, and lots of people are trying real hard to sell you that lie.

What matters more is how you define two things:  "happy" and "friend".

What specific feelings do you want, and what actions in real life do you want other to perform in 
the real world in order to make you feel that way?

And, also, what are YOU prepared to offer in return? Will it be a fair deal?  Often not, especially when
dealing with the opposite gender.

And, despite temptation, never trust anyone completely.  NEVER.   NO ONE.
Time passes. Things happen.  Feelings change.

Today's friend can VERY easily become your deadly enemy tomorrow.

bearcat22 said:
Don't listen to any slap=happy crapola about how it's up to you whether or not you are happy. They will

Yes.. This is so true. 
It’s very insulting when someone assumes that all I have to do to change things in my life is to be positive. Think there wouldn’t be so many unhappy people around if that was the case. Being positive helps, I can agree to that. However, my honeysuckle still exists even if I’m smiling or not. 
Most of the times I choose to be positive. But it’s still there! 
😂 lol. 
Ahh.. I need a coffee so bad. 😜

Jessicat said:
bearcat22 said:

Yes.. This is so true. 
It’s very insulting when someone assumes that all I have to do to change things in my life is to be positive. Think there wouldn’t be so many unhappy people around if that was the case. Being positive helps, I can agree to that. However, my honeysuckle still exists even if I’m smiling or not. 
😂 lol. 

Just simply smiling doesn't make you have a more positive outlook.  It takes more than that.  It's like when people ask you how you are and you say fine, but are you really?  No, of course not. 
You can just as easily tell yourself something and not mean it deep down where it really counts.  THAT is what you have to change, which is NOT an easy thing to do.  Simple, yes.  Easy, no. 
That's where people seem to be confused.  Having a simple plan does not mean that things will be easy to accomplish.  Some simple plans are the hardest things you will ever do in your life. 
Fake it til you make it doesn't work for everything.   Faking it can help for the harder things, but usually not if you aren't willing to put in the extremely hard work that it takes to "make it."

TheRealCallie said:
Jessicat said:
bearcat22 said:

Yes.. This is so true. 
😂 lol. 

Just simply smiling doesn't make you have a more positive outlook.  It takes more than that.  It's like when people ask you how you are and you say fine, but are you really?  No, of course not. 
You can just as easily tell yourself something and not mean it deep down where it really counts.  THAT is what you have to change, which is NOT an easy thing to do.  Simple, yes.  Easy, no. 
That's where people seem to be confused.  Having a simple plan does not mean that things will be easy to accomplish.  Some simple plans are the hardest things you will ever do in your life. 
Fake it til you make it doesn't work for everything.   Faking it can help for the harder things, but usually not if you aren't willing to put in the extremely hard work that it takes to "make it."
Unfortunately everyone likes a chuckle head 
We all do ...the life of the party is the funny person with the constant smile 
BUT if you watch these people ...their smiles do break as well 
Its important to be happy but also important to not hold on to our honeysuckle

Latest posts

Back