Rational suicide?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkg_inc

Reaction score
It's a simple question really; is it possible to want to die without being crazy/depressed/ill?

People always assume that you have to be mad in order to actually want to die, but I'm a bit torn on this issue. Suicide is always used as a way to get out of a shitty situation; you just lost your job, wife left you, only family died and so on. No one commits suicide because they want to die. They want to escape. Due to various conditions, they (wrongly or rightly) consider suicide their best option. And in my opinion, you can be in this state without being mentally unstable. That it is a rational choice.

On the other side, you got people who can't distinguish reality from fantasy when they get in such pressured situations, who don't really think about anything other than that they need to get out *now*.

ps: If anyone wondered; I'm ok. It's just that I'm sometimes thinking about these kinds of things, but haven't got anyone to talk about it with. Sorry if I startled you

Yes i imagine it is

I see quite a bit of suicide in my industry, we provide a convenient quick get out for people
I often think i lot of people are simply attention seekers, they seem to think 'how many people will come to my funeral' or 'this will show them' without actually realising they are DEAD and they won't actually be there to watch the aftermath.

Now i think about it i haven't really answered your question have I, the people i am talking about simply want attention, not to kill themselves (although they invariably succeed)

I think it's certainly possible for reformed depressed/ crazy people could still want to die, they can recover from their mental health/ or other issues but still actuallly believe the world doesn't need them, i imagine quite rationally hmm

Good question
I'll be asking around

not sure...

when i'm on a bridge or a balcany(high places) ..I have a crazy urdge to jump.
Even if I'm happy or enjoying life...it's wierd.

I get suicidal thoughts sometime...not a lot. Just when i'm stress, overwhelm or depressed as hell
and there dosn't seem to be a solution to my problems. Obviousely life isn't so grand
for me to be in that mental state.

I don't belive I'm dillusional...Life can be a pain in the ass a lot of times
and the pain, sorrows, set backs or challenges are real.

For me....my thoughts are meaning less unless I put any of my ideas into actions.
I just chalk up those thoughts as passing thoughts. I don't analized them.
I mean....I have thoughts of winning to super loto too..dosn't mean it's true.
Heck..i don't even buy loto tickets...so how the heck am I going to win a loto.lol

little sayings helps me...
such as...."It's a perminate salution to a short term problem."

Though it might seem forever when I'm in a sucidal tendency state or mimd set.
It gets pretty bad sometimes...i have to make myself sit still and stair at a plant
or a flower just to try see beauty in life.

pkg_inc said:
It's a simple question really; is it possible to want to die without being crazy/depressed/ill?

This is the second post I've read about death. People commit suicide because the pain that they experience is much greater than their resources. They feel helpless and can't see past the intense pain they are in. To want to die is a desperate act for the most part.

This does not include those who chose suicide as a way to avoid a much worse death. That however, is another story.

Don't forget Euthanasia.

There is no wrong way or reason to die.

If you take a shortcut to the finish line the same reaper will be there.

Lonesome Crow said:
Even if I'm happy or enjoying life...it's wierd.

I would guess that urge is actually fairly common. I get it when i am in a high place and have heard a number of other people mention it. I don't think it is actually being suicidal.

pkg_inc said:

Being crazy, depressed or ill covers a lot of territory. Being ill should cover euthanasia. Depressed probably covers those that are in to much emotional pain and can see no other way to make it stop. It could be argued that a a temporary crazy covers those who commit suicide in an attempt to play on the emotions of others or to "show them".

Naleena said:
This does not include those who chose suicide as a way to avoid a much worse death. ...

At the moment that is the only thing coming to mind that isn't covered by the broad areas of crazy/depressed/ill and even that doesn't fit if the worse death is a physical or mental illness.

Minus said:
Naleena said:
This does not include those who chose suicide as a way to avoid a much worse death. ...

At the moment that is the only thing coming to mind that isn't covered by the broad areas of crazy/depressed/ill and even that doesn't fit if the worse death is a physical or mental illness.
But it does, say, when you are a government agent about to be forced to beg for your life and yet get decapitated by agents of a rival nation. Take your life, and you die a hero. Let yourself get killed, you die a coward.

Lonesome Crow said:

Same here.

At one pont thats all I could think about all day, driving out to the beach, going to the top floor of the hotel and jumping out. I had trouble concentrating at work because that was the only thing I could think of.

pkg_inc said:

People always assume that you have to be mad in order to actually want to die, but I'm a bit torn on this issue. Suicide is always used as a way to get out of a shitty situation; you just lost your job, wife left you, only family died and so on. No one commits suicide because they want to die. They want to escape. Due to various conditions, they (wrongly or rightly) consider suicide their best option. And in my opinion, you can be in this state without being mentally unstable. That it is a rational choice.

On the other side, you got people who can't distinguish reality from fantasy when they get in such pressured situations, who don't really think about anything other than that they need to get out *now*.

ps: If anyone wondered; I'm ok. It's just that I'm sometimes thinking about these kinds of things, but haven't got anyone to talk about it with. Sorry if I startled you

I think anyone that tries to kill them self cos of a job lose or a split then I think that would always be because there depressed about the lose. And if your depressed then that is a form of illness. Well-it is an illness. It is a mental illness and this is why ppl go to the doctor about it. Normally the doctor can help. By ether subscribing medication or to get some counseling.

I think as you say the only reason people won't to die is cos there trying to escape the pain there feeling. If they just lost there job/partner act then that pain well normally pass and they well get better in how they feel.

If however you wont to end it all cos you are faced with something that well never change. Like poor health then I feel this is a different story. For ppl that live there life in physical pain and know this well never change in there life then to wont to end that I don't think that would make them ill or crazy. Should we stop this ppl from doing this? I have no idea. I do think if it was my friend that wonted to end there life and they had convinced me that there was nothing that could change there life and they was always going to feel depressed, sad, ill, confused and in physical and mental pain then I would still do everything in my power to stop them from killing them self. Because you never know what might happen. Also this life is not so long. OK I am fully aware that the days can be Loooooooonge. But the years are not. This life is not so long compared to how long the spirit lives. I think we all have a duty to help ppl who are this low and to try to fined a way that they can be reasonably happy with in there self. Even when the task seems impossible with things like this we HAVE to try.

Bleh, I know my friend Emily, SleepKid`s sister, her boyfriend
committed suicide...but he was drunk and was an idiot and
a pedophile. D: (He was 29 and his gf 14) So now we have
to Keep an EYE out for Emily, her stability isn`t what it used
to be, unfortunately.

AlertKid said:
to be, unfortunately.

Im sorry to hear that :(

Hijacc said:
AlertKid said:
to be, unfortunately.

thanks darling <3
I`ve known like 3 people who`ve committed suicide now.
ccept 2 were on purpose...and 1 was someone who i had
a crush on but never got around to admitting. D; I wonder
if that would have changed if I mentioned something to him.

AlertKid said:
Hijacc said:
AlertKid said:
to be, unfortunately.

thanks darling <3
I`ve known like 3 people who`ve committed suicide now.
ccept 2 were on purpose...and 1 was someone who i had
a crush on but never got around to admitting. D; I wonder
if that would have changed if I mentioned something to him.

It dose make you wonder if it would had stopped him ye. But you can not hold onto thoughts like that. its not going to bring him back and its differently not your fault that he did what he did.

The other guy you talk of in your other post. Was he really a pedefile? I mean if he had waited and marred he's GF and spent many years together would you still consider him that? Well I don't suppose it matters any now..

Of course it is!

I'm not sure what movie it was called but i think it was - Theresa.

This little girl about 13 years of age was sitting around a tree with her family. She has about 4 older sisters and of course the mother and father were at her side. Anyways the mother was falling ill and she openly was speaking to her daughters about life if she passes. And the daughter "theresa" made this one comment that at first surprised me. She said "oh mom how i wish i was you - i want to die" Didin't understand it of couse at the time however the movie was about the devotion to christ and in her reference she ment she would love to pass from this life to get to see her creator.

So your answer is yes. Depending on your belief system and your way of life yes you can still be concidered a balanced person and still want to pass. However if you speak to a psychologist i guarantee you'll get the opposite answer. ( so it also depends on who you ask )

There is a point people reach when they have been consistently ignored for the majority of their lives.

Regardless of how independent anyone thinks they are, we are social beings and need to be reminded occasionally that we're not invisible and do have purpose. What's a person to do without input? If you've worked hard your entire life to be a good person and people are unwilling to acknowledge it, why NOT kill yourself?

Most people aren't saints. It's difficult for most to soldier on without approval or encouragement.

I don't consider suicide to be "rational" at all, but having had the experience of holding a loaded gun and contemplating the idea myself, I can understand and sympathize with anyone who's ever had the same thoughts.

It doesn't take a crazy person to kill themselves, all it takes is for them to be unappreciated, unloved and discarded...and you'd be surprised how little it takes to push some to that level.

This reply is way too serious for my taste, so I'd better stop while I'm ahead.

Latest posts

Back