Online Dating and Being Ugly

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaoDing

Reaction score
First off I'm 53. Still a pretty youthful 53. I also live in China. And I don't want to get into anything political but for some reason my expat friends- if they are married, all have wives 15 to 20 years younger than them. 
Well, I don't have to have a wife 20 years younger than me, but I've done some Internet dating with Chinese ladies here, and I've gone on dates with women from 30 (a while ago) to 50. Now, I hear guys in America say they write online to a hundred women's profiles with hardly any reply at all, but it's easier here to actually get a coffee date. The trouble is, it never goes anywhere, not for me. But- I'd rather not be on the Internet at all. I'd rather meet women in real life, but I have no idea how.
I'm not whining- and I have had some skittish boyfriend-girlfriend kinds of encounters that lasted a few weeks. But I think I've had sex three times in the last ten years. Other guys, BETTER LOOKING GUYS, seem to get girlfriends (and maybe eventually married) quite easily though, whether they're 30 or even 60. And I think a lot of the 'coffee dates' are more about curiosity on the part of the girls than anything else.
But a case in point is this: I met a woman online twenty years younger than me. Hey, age doesn't matter right? Well over the week we got very intimate and I found out all about her.  It was really hard to keep up and she praised me up and down. I can get a woman to love me over the Internet, not by tricks but just by BEING MYSELF and being honest. Anyway, she really wanted to meetup. I told her,, look, I'm 53- I'm old, but she reassured me that it didn't matter. But when she saw me at the subway station she gave that 'Bride of Frankenstein' silent scream look. Pure torture for me. For her part, she was a very beautiful woman (pictures lie). The rest of the evening was not good- I just wanted to go home.
The next day I've heard hardly a peep out of her. I wrote her and encouraged her the right guy was out there for her but she glossed it over. Still,, you KNOW when someone is disgusted with you. 
I was ugly when I was 14, when I was 20, 30, etc. It doesn't change. If I had been 35 it would have been the same. You know when you are ugly because society lets you know. And individuals in society will actually tell you you're ugly to your face and point out your ugly features (baggy eyes, big nose, lizard lips and tiny chin in case you're wondering). Whether ugly is 'real' or not is moot. Of course there is no absolute judge of it, whatever the Greeks thought (I think Plato was pretty ugly, wasn't he?}. But people in society, brainwashed by media, sure have their judgements on ugliness and it is harsh. Last spring I walked around for about two weeks with a cold mask to hide my face I was so disgusted. I just wanted to die.
Oh, and I have no problems with 'ugly' 'cute' or even 'beautiful' women. It's just a lot of women have rejected me for my looks and to be frank, unattractive women here in China seem to be self-sabotagingly hostile. Weird. I'd just like a regular, kind girlfriend who is comfortable wit both herself and me.

Well, no thanks to China's one child policy that existed for a generation, there are millions more men than women there now. This doesn't help much in the way of advice but I'm certain there are many males there of all types who also haven't met a suitable partner. Have you ever thought it might simply be demographics instead of (in your self-perception) that you're ugly?

-Teresa

The data should point out a number of potential partners bigger than other countries full population.

Xpendable said:
The data should point out a number of potential partners bigger than other countries full population.

Right but the ratio of single men to single women is skewed, making it harder for single men over there.

LaoDing said:
I told her,, look, I'm 53- I'm old, but she reassured me that it didn't matter. But when she saw me at the subway station she gave that 'Bride of Frankenstein' silent scream look. Pure torture for me. For her part, she was a very beautiful woman (pictures lie). The rest of the evening was not good- I just wanted to go home.
The next day I've heard hardly a peep out of her. I wrote her and encouraged her the right guy was out there for her but she glossed it over. Still,, you KNOW when someone is disgusted with you.

Providing her with a photo beforehand could have prevented this from happening.  You look alright, going by the proifle thumbnail, probably better than most 53yo men. You may have to consider either leaving China or moving somewhere in the country where the gender ratio isn't as skewed.

I appreciate all the help. Of course we exchanged photos.
Everyone is stuck on demographics in China, but I'm trying to deal with being rejection again and again and again. It's not the country, and it's not the ratio. It's far more complicated than that. Suffice to say humans aren't a bunch of minnows, and if I were in a room with five pretty women with one me, I really doubt anyone would pick me despite the demographics.
That's just the way it is. It is quite male to think this a male to female ratio problem. And not to be a jerk, but more than a little stereotyping China going on. It's as complicated here as anywhere else. It's not like a monolith of generic men walking around outnumbering females. There are tons of single females and men here. Men can't even get replies on dating sites from women in America I hear. At least I can pretty easily get a coffee date. I just CAN'T GET a girl friend. But I don't want to die alone either.
Online dating is horrible. It seems to me women are CONSTANTLY holding out for the next better guy. They seem unhappy too. I wish I knew of a way to meet women somewhere, anywhere else but these f'n dating sites. Then again as I said my friends have wives here. I really don't know what's wrong with me.

Did your friends that are married meet their spouses online too? Maybe there is a different method that will work better for you.

Lao, if that's your picture, I don't think you're ugly. There's bound to be more people who think the same.

kamya said:
Did your friends that are married meet their spouses online too? Maybe there is a different method that will work better for you.

Yes, I would LOVE to people outside of the Internet. Maybe I don't work hard enough at building a network- people with the same interests and so on. I'm not sure how to go about it, but thanks.

VanillaCreme said:
Lao, if that's your picture, I don't think you're ugly. There's bound to be more people who think the same.

Yes, it's a handsome picture of me. I don't think I'm ugly in that picture either. But delete most of my pics in horror! lol
I'm not trying to fool anyone. If I posted that pic, I'd also post a more realistic one. 
And I guess I don't mind actually being 'ugly' and I'm not out to get a gorgeous woman. But sometimes, like last Friday, I'll meet an attractive woman who treats me with disgust and although was my 'soul mate' for about a week gave me dead air the moment I left. But it's been three days and I think I'm doing OK now. These things used to take half a month to get over.
I hate dating sites, the meat market, and yet I keep going back. I just don't know how else to meet someone. I don't want to live the remainder of my life alone. I'm not a monk. I like female companionship. Surely there's nothing wrong with wanting that.

Latest posts

Back