Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are some ways to improve self-esteem?
Set and make small goals, like finishing a book.

Exercising and staying active, even for 15 minutes a day.

Cleaning up so at least my physical space doesn't have to be cluttered.

I don't find self-talk helps much. I do read a lot of blogs looking for opinions from other people who've gone through similar struggles to see what's actually worked for them. I figure if someone's turned it around, maybe there's a chance for me, too.
A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother.
dang i wonder why i'm always looking for ways to self improve. improve to what? what goes up must come down right. well sometimes they stay down, that's the problem.
"From my mind to these pages
to another time and another reader's eyes,
it's amazing how I can speak to you
over time and distance.
That is the Beauty of Literature."
-P.L.R.
This is a bit left of centre, and most of you won't agree, but please hear me out.

I think the whole self esteem stuff is a bit overrated. I'm not suggesting you should loathe yourself, but I don't think this ideal of loving yourself is some perfect goal either. There is a place for self doubt, for self criticality. Judge yourself and do so harshly. It will make you a better person.
Positive self talk helps. It helps me anyway. Setting goals helps. Simply believing the day is going to go great; not so much. I find if my day is average or bad, I feel worse.

Believe it or not but seeing the futility in things can help too. If you see that a situation may never change, you allow yourself permission to find the beauty in its imperfection. Expecting it to be perfect and finding out it isn't hurts.
(12-17-2017, 07:23 AM)TheLoadedDog Wrote: This is a bit left of centre, and most of you won't agree, but please hear me out.

I think the whole self esteem stuff is a bit overrated.   I'm not suggesting you should loathe yourself,  but I don't think this ideal of loving yourself is some perfect goal either.  There is a place for self doubt, for self criticality.  Judge yourself and do so harshly.  It will make you a better person.

LOL This.
Though I don't know if it's a particularly good idea. I'm guessing you follow that like I do.
Makes us hard with ourselves, but also tends to make us hard towards others as well, at least it does in my case.
Circa 2017...not necessarily the best trait to have ;-)
I think working on yourself to physically look more appealing or get in shape, contributes to the feeling of self worth.

However, when will it be enough? If you lose 10 pounds of fat and replace it with 20 pounds of muscle you'll feel good for a while, but how long untill this new version of you is again "not good enough"?

Self esteem and self worth are mostly something you need to work on mentally, you don't need to think of yourself as a god/goddess, you just need to have acceptance for yourself and a healthy indifference for others opinion.
Join some club, memorize some jokes, go out there and talk to people, join the gym. Download an app that measures your self esteem, watch your self esteem go so high that it crashes the app. Rinse Lather Repeat.
OK, I'll try a different tack.

Look in the mirror in the morning, and say (loudly):

"GOOD MORNING, YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD"
Change your environment - i.e. the people you are surrounded by.
Choose to be with the people who inspire you instead of those that drain your energy.
(12-28-2017, 08:34 PM)TheLoadedDog Wrote: OK, I'll try a different tack.

Look in the mirror in the morning, and say (loudly):

"GOOD MORNING, YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD"

Similar, sometimes.
I get up in the morning and say "You're the best in the world, you STUPID, arrogant Dick" lol
(Get it? Dick, dick...okay)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self esteem Claire1995 7 757 03-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  Inflated self-esteem LiLeila 29 8,299 03-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  Mom is killing my self esteem Missingthesun 19 5,464 05-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Last Post: WallflowerGirl83
  Building confidence,higher self esteem and overcoming shyness? owmygod 19 6,522 02-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Last Post: owmygod
  10 winning quotes for those with low self-esteem NewOrder2016 5 3,579 12-18-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Lacrecia
  Regular A.L.L. Anti-Loneliness/ Low-Self Esteem Drop-in Sessions...? Would love... MyTherapyisALL 5 2,890 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Last Post: lilE
  Survey on self-esteem related issues Oniönhead 6 3,070 11-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Last Post: sothatwasmylife
  Interesting read on self esteem LonelyInAtl 12 7,939 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Saddo
  Things that boost your self-esteem? TheSolitaryMan 35 11,845 08-10-2016, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Irreverent Gent
  Self Esteem has gone M.I.A. LordofLosers 27 8,925 10-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Last Post: kathyjoyce