Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are some ways to improve self-esteem?
I'm in that boat currently where I need to work on my self-esteem. It's been shot down terribly and I need to get stronger for some challenging times ahead. I've done a lot of thinking about this. I find that positive self-talk only helps me when I'm in the mood for it. I find it's repetitive, like when I was a kid reciting prayers in church...it meant nothing, I was just saying it.

In my case, I'm getting my health in order. Physical fitness and making sure my body is flexible so I don't have pain. I'm eating better so I feel better from the inside out. I make sure to shower and do my hair every day. I also do hobbies to keep me happy and busy. I have a spiritual side that I make sure I tend to daily as well. I'm a bit of a hermit, but reaching out to people on forums and online and having their support helps my self-esteem tremendously. Having my pets, taking care of them and spending time with them makes me happy and boosts my self-esteem also. A few small baby step goals I can achieve each week helps too.
Hi,

I just published a short ebook on amazon. It is about ways to raise self esteem and it has useful tips and exercises in it. Hopefully it can help you! It is free from Tuesday to Friday. An honest review however would be highly appreciated and would really help me!
Take action! 

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Esteem-Confi...07JBQTHSM/

davek1996
Witty denegration of others, particularly one whom considers to be ignorant, rude, callous and generally undeserving of the title "human being" does help in uping my own self-esteem.

Not something I'd recommend, though. Social conventions and all that.
There is no way to improve your self-esteem because it is rooted deep in your inner self, in your subconsciousness.
hi there ,
you're doing great for that.but loving yourself more than anything , can help you.and I am sure you are.it's just you who can improve your self-esteem.spend time with positive people. it's important.
Strong people don't put others down,
They lift them up.

Well, I agree with the above, the only people comfortable talking to themselves in the mirror are likely to be vein and narcissistic lol. I don't think giving yourself positive talk in this way is what it means, might work for some, if so great, but it's not for me. For me positive self talk is more about being mindful of self defeating, critical, negative thoughts. It's having the ability to recognise these when they appear and to put them to one side - ignore them, see them for what they are, just a thought, and totally unhelpful. When a person can do this, gain control over his or her thoughts, over time they disappear and they are replaced with other, more positive thinking.

I cringe when I hear people say you need to love yourself, as I disagree with this - its too much, its unrealistic and thus unattainable, who can ever really love themselves? The narcs again maybe. Love what you do yes, this is needed. Having self esteem to me is more feeling ok to be me - as that is all that is needed to keep esteem in tact. Coupled with nurturing and caring for yourself (which I suppose could be termed as loving yourself) - this is essential. One act of self care like making yourself a nutritional meal, doing some exercise, anything that gives you a sense of well-being, then leaves you feeling I value myself, I'm worth looking after, which then also leads to more acts of self care; as opposed to being in the mindset 'I dont really care about me, why bother', this way of thinking only leads to self neglect.

A few daily acts of self care keeps your self esteem topped up nicely.
(11-30-2018, 11:03 AM)Paul Bauman Wrote: There is no way to improve your self-esteem because it is rooted deep in your inner self, in your subconsciousness.

I'm sorry to read you feel this way Paul, I have to disagree.  Esteem needs to be grown and attended to, much like caring for a seed that grows into a plant, if we continue to give the plant some care it will flourish.  A mind shift can and does occur when we attend to it. 

The difference between those who have it and those who don't is the doing what is needed, doing what is needed perhaps comes more naturally to those who appear to have always had it, because they were introduced to doing what is required at a young age, they have a good life balance and when this tips they know what to do or what to give themselves in order to bring back the balance, however, whether this is the case or not, 'everyone' needs to continually take care of the self to keep your esteem topped up. It's about knowing what your needs are and meeting them.
"loving yourself "means whatever you do and whatever your hobbies ;do that things freely.just have to love everything ...everything about yourself. you don't have to care what people willthink or what they say.just be yourself. it's your life and nobody's have right to judge you.

being ourselves is most important. that's what I meant by saying loving yourself. Smile
They lift them up.

(11-30-2018, 10:17 PM)Silk24 Wrote: "loving yourself "means whatever you do and whatever your hobbies ;do that things freely.just have to love everything ...everything about yourself. you don't have to care what people willthink or what they say.just be yourself. it's your life and nobody's have right to judge you.

being ourselves is most important. that's what I meant by saying loving yourself. Smile

Sorry Silk24, I hadn't actually read your reply, I was thinking in general, sorry if I offended you, not my intention in the slightest, not on here to cause to trouble!
heyyyy lol.
trouble? ? Smile
it's okay honey. I am very happy person. it's just the talk we do here .no worries.
They lift them up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My self esteem is too high humourless 2 727 06-22-2019, 10:11 PM
Last Post: humourless
  Correcting Low Self Esteem and Shyness AlertChristians 0 912 04-24-2019, 12:12 PM
Last Post: AlertChristians
  Self esteem Claire1995 7 1,509 03-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  Inflated self-esteem LiLeila 29 10,375 03-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  Mom is killing my self esteem Missingthesun 19 5,922 05-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Last Post: WallflowerGirl83
  Building confidence,higher self esteem and overcoming shyness? owmygod 19 7,169 02-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Last Post: owmygod
  10 winning quotes for those with low self-esteem NewOrder2016 5 3,982 12-18-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Lacrecia
  Regular A.L.L. Anti-Loneliness/ Low-Self Esteem Drop-in Sessions...? Would love... MyTherapyisALL 5 3,197 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Last Post: lilE
  Survey on self-esteem related issues Oniönhead 6 3,482 11-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Last Post: sothatwasmylife
  Interesting read on self esteem LonelyInAtl 12 8,371 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Saddo