Self imposed loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossy

Reaction score
I avoid my friends in real life and don't answer their phone calls. I also have a boyfriend that I live with, but I don't try to cultivate any sort of intimacy with him. I cry multiple times a day from my loneliness, but I'm not sure why because I shouldn't be lonely. I have ample opportunities to connect with people, but I don't do it. I feel like it would be pointless, because I won't get the intimacy I want anyways.  

Is anyone else like this?

Hi, i get where you're coming from. It can feel that the people around you, though well meaning, don't seem to be on the same wavelength as you, making it difficult to open yourself up for a connection.

Take care, and i hope for you that you find someone here you can connect with.

mossy said:
I avoid my friends in real life and don't answer their phone calls. I also have a boyfriend that I live with, but I don't try to cultivate any sort of intimacy with him. I cry multiple times a day from my loneliness, but I'm not sure why because I shouldn't be lonely. I have ample opportunities to connect with people, but I don't do it. I feel like it would be pointless, because I won't get the intimacy I want anyways.  

This is me, practically word-for-word. Frustrating, isn't it?

Have you considered, that you might suffer from some kind of social anxiety?

Something that can really frustrate me, is when I meet someone that I suspect, that I could develop a deep friendship with, but the circumstances from where this could start, just never present themselves to me or us.

mossy said:

I lived my own version of what you're choosing to do for about 25 years or so.  It's not a good life.  Try and get the intimacy you want......it won't work out as perfect as you want it to, but nothing ever does, nevertheless it's better than the life you're describing now.

There are many kinds of loneliness so it's ok to feel this way even if you do have a boyfriend and friends. Perhaps they don't "get" you or maybe you're experiencing an existential type of disconnect. But I think it's important for you to analyse things a bit for yourself and perhaps talk to someone who can give you good advice. It's not good to cut oneself off if this detachment comes with sadness. Depression can creep in before you know it.

Sorry you're in this mossy. Hope things turn around for you.

Hello Mossy, welcome to ALL.

I myself am quite the opposite, I have no friends that call me or a partner, I often fear that if I had those I'd do the same things you do but for different reasons, just not being able to cope with the pressures of having to be around people all the time.

Best of luck, and don't be a stranger!

Yes.. people are incredibly disappointing lately and if I interact with them at all they just take the opportunity to use me.

Agent Cooper said:
Have you considered, that you might suffer from some kind of social anxiety?

Something that can really frustrate me, is when I meet someone that I suspect, that I could develop a deep friendship with, but the circumstances from where this could start, just never present themselves to me or us.

Imagine social anxiety from an introvert. No wonder I'm so messed.

mossy said:
I avoid my friends in real life and don't answer their phone calls. I also have a boyfriend that I live with, but I don't try to cultivate any sort of intimacy with him. I cry multiple times a day from my loneliness, but I'm not sure why because I shouldn't be lonely. I have ample opportunities to connect with people, but I don't do it. I feel like it would be pointless because I won't get the intimacy I want anyway.

This may sound weird, but get yourself dressed, call your bf, and go to a rural cemetery.
So much history and you connect with each other going "wow I wonder if those two were happy?" and conversations.

It sounds morbid but when you find yourselves trying to connect with the people, it really moves you.

Latest posts

Back