Hello from Lonely 50 year old!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borrowed Mum

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I joined just over a week ago but I wanted to view other posts for a little while before I introduced myself! 

I never thought of myself as lonely until recently (well when I say recent I mean within the past year). 
I guess like many I always had this view that lonely people were elderly/had no friends/never saw anyone, ever/were unhappy and depressed etc. 
But I've come to realize that never seeing anyone, being unhappy and depressed have become a fimilar pattern for me (maybe not the elderly bit unless you consider 50 years old past it!) 
I dont really know what it is I am seeking from joining the forum but I do know that sharing with people going through similar feelings can be very cathartic.  :)

Hello, welcome to the forums. I am also new. :)

With loneliness, I always believed that even the happiest of people can even feel lonely but I feel like anyone at anytime can feel lonely, even in a group of people.

I don't consider 50 old at all, older people always enlighten me, I haven't been able to chat/talk to many older people but they do interest me with their wisdom and knowledge of history and such.

Hello and welcome,

I'd say you're only as old as you act! if you're not yelling at kids to get off the lawn you're not old.
I'm sorry to hear about your realization of loneliness, but also quite happy, because one can only fix a problem once it's know!

Borrowed Mum said:
Hi Everyone,
I joined just over a week ago but I wanted to view other posts for a little while before I introduced myself! 

I never thought of myself as lonely until recently (well when I say recent I mean within the past year). 
I guess like many I always had this view that lonely people were elderly/had no friends/never saw anyone, ever/were unhappy and depressed etc. 
But I've come to realize that never seeing anyone, being unhappy and depressed have become a fimilar pattern for me (maybe not the elderly bit unless you consider 50 years old past it!) 
I dont really know what it is I am seeking from joining the forum but I do know that sharing with people going through similar feelings can be very cathartic.  :)

First, I am so sorry you are dealing with loneliness.  It can be hard, especially during the holidays.  For me, I have to try not to isolate myself, keep going to work, attending functions, etc.  Maybe volunteer at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, or similar place to visit with others.  Sometimes serving people can fill some of the loneliness void.  Hang in there and visit here when you need to.

Welcome aboard. There is always room for improvement regardless of your age. I'm alone at 20 and I'm working on my life, trying to overcome suicide. There must be room for improvement!

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm sure more and more people are feeling lonely. We just lose touch and live in our little boxes, eh?

Fifty isn't old, eighty is old :D

Hello everybody.  I'm also brand new.  I am actually a happily married 55 yr old woman.  But find myself quite lonely. Is this normal?

It is pretty normal. I feel the same way too but I am way much younger than you. Sometimes, marriage is a tough one to work out especially you feel neglected and not respected by your significant other. But we also need to step back and realise that maybe being too reliant on your significant other has made our lives lonely. It is time to find your own friends and know the world.

I can remember thinking twenty was old. I'm now 47. I'll let you know when this wisdom thing happens, because I still feel about twelve.

You are never too old as 50 is still young, i'm 44 and I feel very young at heart as it's all about how you feel. I know there are people in their 70's who are very active and full of life, one being my dad so your not old. No matter what age you are, remember that age is just a number. 

I am new here, just found this forum and excited to meet others so I hope that your loneliness is replaced with happiness.

Latest posts

Back