Long Distance Relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackwaveButterfly

Reaction score
I believe long distance relationships (LDR) can work out, depending on whom you're talking too and/or common interests can attract each other. I wish to discuss the LDR with my girlfriend, Polly. 

I met her on a 3D chat avatar client called IMVU. IMVU is mediocre and if anyone has heard of it, you may understand what I am talking about, the people there are mostly big headed, obnoxious, show-offs though, you can meet some really nice people which are only about 5% of IMVU, it has got worse through the years, bullying, racism, harassment increased on IMVU and I really felt uncomfortable being around these types of people, even in an avatar form. I visited a chat room daily under the name of "Wolf's Class" and it was a good experience, some people thought they were "it" (the centre of attention) but since I had the moderation for a while, I was able to put them into check. Moving on, one day I was just watching the chat until a user named "Polyhores" entered the chat, her avatar was incredibly unique, I believe I never saw anything like it! Though I knew it was only a pixel character... anyway, we started to talk, hit it off at an instant, we share the same interests really but in a different way, like she enjoys Harry Potter, I have never really been interested but I wouldn't mind watching with her. We invited each other into our own chats more often and I was started to become in love with Polly. I got to know where she lived, her age, etc. but never was able to see what she looked like since IMVU does not support sending images over unless using a link and Polly was not knowledgeable with technology. Anyway, she sent me a picture via Kik and guys, seriously, I've never had my eyes pop out my eyes but I think they did and they were dancing on the ground at that moment, she's beautiful! 

I really wanted to start dating her but through my previous relationships I was scared of being rejected, but I was able to ask her because I thought if I didn't then maybe I might not ever get the chance again. I asked her and she immediately said yes, we still talk about it today and how our emotions were soaring at the time. Now, we talk on Skype as IMVU is not needed in our lives, I find IMVU to be more of a drama pit of hatred and greed than anything else. 

We planned to meet up and we met up the day after my birthday and we did. I was pretty mad on the day because I had to travel quite a while and I reached where she was about 2 PM and she wasn't there, she came an hour later and I was pretty annoyed by it, I even told her this and I knew she felt bad, I admit, I did go on about but I wanted to get out it out my mind since it was our first meeting. We got into Starbucks and she gave me a birthday card and some chocolates. I gave her a Black Sabbath Tshirt since it was her birthday in Septemeber. I loved the card so much, her emotions were driven right into the card and it made me feel so loved and overjoyed. I held her hand with pride to know that this woman is mine and only mine, I missed the next bus though so we had more time to spend, I couldn't stop kissing her and iasfghjhgf hehe... She plans to move in with me in Feburary which is exciting and hopefully I won't be as lonely. 

Does anyone have any long distance relationship stories? :)

Friend of mine imported his wife from the US. They've been married for 10 or 15 years now and have 4 kids.
It works out sometimes. But it was hell to make it happen.

Richard_39 said:
Friend of mine imported his wife from the US. They've been married for 10 or 15 years now and have 4 kids.

I bet, don't they need to have a visa or something?

BlackwaveButterfly said:
Richard_39 said:

80% of the time is for the visa, I would say.

Xpendable said:
BlackwaveButterfly said:
Richard_39 said:

Nothing like that. She lived in Alabama and was very happy. She actually went against her family's wishes to do this and doesn't regret it one bit.
It's a long story, but suffice it to say they met on a Star Trek rpg message board and it was love at first...post, I guess. She had to have her visa before coming into the country and has stayed in Canada since, except the occasional jaunt to her parents.
It does sometimes work. It's just about as rare as a flying chicken, however,  not to be discouraging. You have to have a very specific mindset for it to happen, as they both did.

Richard_39 said:
Xpendable said:
BlackwaveButterfly said:
Richard_39 said:

Nothing like that. She lived in Alabama and was very happy. She actually went against her family's wishes to do this and doesn't regret it one bit.
It's a long story, but suffice it to say they met on a Star Trek rpg message board and it was love at first...post, I guess. She had to have her visa before coming into the country and has stayed in Canada since, except the occasional jaunt to her parents.
It does sometimes work. It's just about as rare as a flying chicken, however,  not to be discouraging. You have to have a very specific mindset for it to happen, as they both did.

Ah now, I understand, this reminds me of my girlfriend too since they're all against homosexuality and all religious, she's currently banned from even going outside, she's a grown adult and I feel like her family is basically keeping her as a prisoner. She has a game plan though hence coming to live with me in February. 
I do believe the mindset definitely has to be there for an LDR.

[quote pid='857309' dateline='1512488942']

Ah now, I understand, this reminds me of my girlfriend too since they're all against homosexuality and all religious, she's currently banned from even going outside, she's a grown adult and I feel like her family is basically keeping her as a prisoner. She has a game plan though hence coming to live with me in February. 
I do believe the mindset definitely has to be there for an LDR.
[/quote]

It does work, but you do have to be very careful. I mean, they've been married for a long time, but they spent years and years working the details of it, visiting each other, etc. They got to know each other very well both online AND off before jumping into anything since this was a big process. There are some shallow indivuduals who would seek unfair advantage or use people only to get what they want, which is sadly the vast majority of cases. The story I told you of them is the exception, not the rule, as such, you need to consider it very carefully first. You don't want to be stuck in an unwanted or unbearable situation and that means taking certain steps and extra care into how things proceed. Distance makes it all the much harder since you don't really know a person until you spend an extended amount of time in their everyday lives.
But yes, back to the original question, I believe it can work. But it's much harder than regular relationships and one of the two parties is more often than not found lacking.

Personally, I wouldn't go for a long distance relationship. Sounds like a waste of time, to me.

Latest posts

Back