Has anyone ever had hypnosis?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brennabean

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had hypnosis to solve an issue?
I read about it on the Internet in disbelief, mainly because the Internet is full of deceit. So I wonder if anyone on this forum has had hypnosis to deal with issues like weight, depression, anxiety or anything really. And I want to know was it useful? Even if for a finite amount of time.
If it has actually worked for someone I'll contemplate on getting it because my will is somewhat weak xD

I've had it a few times when i felt generally very down, can't remember the specific issue
definitely felt better for a bit afterwards, noticeably in the immediate aftermath
can't say it worked but I didn't go there regarding anything in particular, and yet can say it may be worth a shot (haven't ruled it out again for myself)

I tried it for insomnia and sorry to tell you it didn't work at all, but my ex, a committed lifelong smoker, stopped immediately and easily which totally shocked me.
I don't know whether some people are more susceptible to it because of different personalities and that's why it works for some and not others.
Anyway, if you decide to try it I hope it works for you.

Thanks guys :)
Do you think it didn't work for you because you're strong thinkers? Like, I always second guess my own feelings and thoughts, I guess I like to be thorough.

I've been dying to try it. Lots of people tell me it wouldn't work for me though. They say you have to believe in it for it to work.

My ex is the last person on the planet you would think hypnosis would work for - Very Strong Minded, but as I said above it worked for him instantaneously, so I don't know what might be the criteria.
He was also very sceptical, so I don't think you necessarily have to believe it will work.

I'm wondering whether the practitioner's skill is relevant?

Jently said:
My ex is the last person on the planet you would think hypnosis would work for - Very Strong Minded, but as I said above it worked for him instantaneously, so I don't know what might be the criteria.
He was also very sceptical, so I don't think you necessarily have to believe it will work.

I'm wondering whether the practitioner's skill is relevant?

How weird. Yet awesome. 

It likely is relevant. I don't know how much it costs, I bet it isn't cheap!

Jently said:
No, not cheap but much cheaper than smoking in the long run :)

I got the quitting smoking covered... Say the girl who recently started smoking again haha. It's only temporary though, exams are getting stressful! I managed to quit for almost a year so I reckon I can do it again :)

I know I can hypnotize myself if I watch too much reality tv. I wake up with an irresistible urge to destroy television sets.
;-)

I knew a guy who was treated for insomnia with hypnosis and it worked pretty good but the effect only lasted a few months.
When I was a psych major at university I volunteered for it to assist a grad student.....he and his professor declared me to be "un-hypnotizable". Probably because of my trust issues.....deep in my unconscious i refused to submit to anybody's suggestions. Common sense on my part I'd say.

It is definitely something that has always fascinated me, and I have often wondered about it, but like with so many things, nothing has ever come of it.

constant stranger said:
I knew a guy who was treated for insomnia with hypnosis and it worked pretty good but the effect only lasted a few months.
When I was a psych major at university I volunteered for it to assist a grad student.....he and his professor declared me to be "un-hypnotizable".  Probably because of my trust issues.....deep in my unconscious i refused to submit to anybody's suggestions.  Common sense on my part I'd say.

Maybe you just needed some LCD to go with it, that's how the pro's do it, or so I've heard ;)

I have often heard that hypnosis is only suitable for a suggestive personality, so in that aspect the use of mind altering drugs, e they legal or not is quite a logical step to take when faced with a "common sense" personality type. 

Now those shows from the 80's and 90's most old enough will have seen at some point are ofcourse all total BS, and showmanship with a crowd of willing participants and or actors even.

MisterLonely, would that be LSD, the psychedelic drug you're referring to?
Dunno what LCD is.
I did many acid trips back in the '70's and my thinking was very fast and not too focused at the time....wouldn't imagine that'd be very conducive to concentrating on some hypnotists suggestions.
Although in my old age it seems like kind of an interesting experiment......
Actually tripping on LSD again forty years later sounds kind of cool.

I've never undergone hypnosis. I'd like to try it.

What I have heard though, several times over the years, is that intelligent, strong-willed, sceptical types are the perfect candidates for hypnosis. They "go under" very easily, for some reason.

Latest posts

Back