Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone going to see the new Star Wars movie?
(12-29-2017, 06:49 AM)Richard_39 Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:31 AM)evanescencefan912 Wrote: I just saw it it today, yeah there were definitely some parts that could have been better, but I really liked it.

Likewise.
I could list at least 5 or 6 legitimate and (I hope) constructive criticisms or plot points I felt were muddled or made little to no sense.
Unlike some of the backlash I've ben reading, however...didn't destroy my childhod LOL.
It's unsurprising this be so polarizing in a sense. A lot of people grew up with these characters. It touches a chord.

Callie, there were only 7. :-P

Depends on what you count. 1 - 7 + Rogue One + Clone Wars (2003) mini-series and the Clone Wars Animated Series (2008+).  Big Grin

Edit: Plus there was the Star Wars Holiday Special (absolutley awful!) and 2 Ewok movies. Oh and there was an Ewok cartoon and a Droids cartoon too!
Why do I make up conversations and scenarios in my head that will never happen in reality...
(12-29-2017, 09:33 PM)Drew Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 06:49 AM)Richard_39 Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 11:31 AM)evanescencefan912 Wrote: I just saw it it today, yeah there were definitely some parts that could have been better, but I really liked it.

Likewise.
I could list at least 5 or 6 legitimate and (I hope) constructive criticisms or plot points I felt were muddled or made little to no sense.
Unlike some of the backlash I've ben reading, however...didn't destroy my childhod LOL.
It's unsurprising this be so polarizing in a sense. A lot of people grew up with these characters. It touches a chord.

Callie, there were only 7. :-P

Depends on what you count. 1 - 7 + Rogue One + Clone Wars (2003) mini-series and the Clone Wars Animated Series (2008+).  Big Grin

Edit: Plus there was the Star Wars Holiday Special (absolutley awful!) and 2 Ewok movies. Oh and there was an Ewok cartoon and a Droids cartoon too!

HEY!
....don't you dare bash the Ewok movies.
I was in love with Sindel growing up.

Big Grin
I liked TFA better, but those porgs!  Smile
(01-05-2018, 05:03 AM)Muse Wrote: I liked TFA better, but those porgs!  Smile

Yeah, when I first saw the Porgs, I groaned, but after sitting through the movie, I thought it was well handled.
Kind of makes me think Jar Jar could have been a good idea, it was the execution that left to be desired.
Can't believe I missed this thread.

I've seen all of the new ones, and enjoyed them all.  They feel a little different than the old ones (by which I mean Episodes I-VI), but it still works.  The new movies make me feel as if someone turned their sessions from Star Wars RPG into movies.  But that still makes sense to me.

It just so happens that it's almost time for another Star Wars movie.  Is anyone here excited about Solo?  My brother and I have tickets for this upcoming Friday, can't wait Big Grin
I'm a huge Star Wars fan and I absolutely hated The Last Jedi. Sad

Felt like someone who knows entirely nothing about the characters, has a very opinionated outlook on how movies should progress, and a highly political mind; decided to direct the movie. Previous fans, and essence that is Star Wars, be damned! And it clearly shows. I've always considered Star Wars' movies as a mind escape. Not this one or Rogue One.

Star Wars was always a Sci-Fantasy and has a huge cult following to all ages. Keyword is, "Fantasy". The Last Jedi felt like it was trying too hard to insert real-life or practicality while mixing in ridiculous force powers that were never heard of. And don't even get me started on the absolute butchering and ass-backwards personality of one of my most beloved characters of all time. He was known to have the most faith out of nearly any fictional character ever and even saw the good in one of the most evil villains, ever. And brought them to the light.

This movie felt like a stand alone film and not a direct sequel of The Force Awakens (which I loved btw). Oh and, you don't suddenly incorporate actual sci-fi science into a movie that ignores it for fun for the past 40 years. So many things were absolutely absurd and felt like they were pulled out of their asses.

I honestly re-watched the film multiple times trying to give it a more open minded approach and each re-viewing only dissapointed me further as I saw scenes and character development that were befitting of Star Wars and their original personalities.

It felt like a script written by someone who didn't do their research on the previous material beforehand. Just quickly skimmed over TFA for continuity. Nothing more. JJ Abrams (the director of TFA) seems to capture the essence of Star Wars very well in my opinion. So I was very happy to hear that he is directing the next one. Maybe he will undo most of the mess that is, The Last Jedi.

As for the Solo movie coming out in the next few days; I am skeptical but interested. My only gripe still, is the casting for Han Solo. He's not a great actor, nor does he look the part. But, I am hoping to be very wrong. I plan on seeing it in the coming weeks.
I doubt I could stomach anymore Star Wars even if I was paid to go see them.

I always thought the films were fun enough as a kid, but they definitely didn't hold up past that. Clearly just kiddie fantasy not meant to be overanalyzed, so needless to say, even MORE of it didn't appeal to me at all. Nor would I, or even have I, gone to see more.

I'm secretly hoping they continue to flop to stop this gravy train.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile what was the last movie you saw? toxic-tears 3,998 415,192 12-15-2019, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Minus
Wink what's your favourite movie. pinocio 19 4,934 04-23-2019, 08:48 PM
Last Post: humourless
Question What is the scariest movie ever? robertwill 37 15,195 01-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  Has anyone watched Star Trek: Discovery? Richard_39 13 2,855 05-24-2018, 04:01 AM
Last Post: Siku
  Once upon a time in the West; have you seen this movie? LonesomeCowboy 2 1,640 02-26-2018, 04:58 PM
Last Post: Stylus
  Name a movie title or song that describes something in your life StorytellerSly 3 4,921 11-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Last Post: GizmonicScrewdriver
  Movie anticipation Gorbachov 30 12,405 10-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Last Post: Erasercrumbs
  Are there some movie scenes you wish you hadn’t seen as a kid? AnonymousMe 0 2,581 09-09-2016, 04:01 PM
Last Post: AnonymousMe
  minions movie Sci-Fi 14 7,008 06-11-2016, 03:34 AM
Last Post: mauthecat
  First movie you stood in line to see. Nuke1967 7 4,593 01-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Case