On Grumpiness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoadedDog

Reaction score
I'd like your input, please, Lonelies...

I am a grump.  Now, this needs to be placed in context.  I'm not angry, and I can be very polite and friendly to people (that's the way I was raised).  But my default mode is grumpiness and melancholy.  I'm not going to smile at you or gush over you just because you exist.  I won't be rude to you, but I just won't bubble fake bonhomie.   So I'd like to know I am not alone.  Any other grumps out there?

TheLoadedDog said:

I am a grump.  Now, this needs to be placed in context.  I'm not angry, and I can be very polite and friendly to people (that's the way I was raised).  But my default mode is grumpiness and melancholy.  I'm not going to smile at you or gush over you just because you exist.  I won't be rude to you, but I just won't bubble fake bonhomie.   So I'd like to know I am not alone.  Any other grumps out there?

I'd have to say it depends on my moments and moods.
I'm a pessimist, I believe, because being an optimist is just too much energy anymore. I'm usually the guy throwing the wry jokes or clowning around, but, depending on some days or events, don't look at me, don't smile at me, or I'll bark at you. Then tell you the governement is full of aholes lol

I think it's a right to have sometimes ;-)

I guess that would make me a part-time grump. I'll let you know in 15 years if I make it to full-grump status.

My SO fits your description perfectly. I think our differences form a balance that makes us live in a kind of harmony. I love it. Nothing wrong with a passive grump :)

I think a lot of grumpiness comes from not being completely happy and ok with the way things are going for you. Feeling like a lack of control. *shrugs*

I'm usually grumpy when I'm trying to concentrate and things or people keep distracting me. When my attention and thoughts are scattered while trying to focus on a specific task I can become very irritable.

kamya, you might be on to something. I'm not a happy person, and never have been, but that's not it. You nailed it, I think, when you talked about control. Being ...well.. serious.... is my way of being in control.

It works, but it has cost me dearly. It cost me my last relationship. We were chatting online, and she made a grammatical error, and I exploded over it. This to the point she spent two days in tears. I am REALLY not proud of this side of my personality. I can be toxic. I recognise this fact, but don't know how to fix it.

I meant more in control. Like they have control over their own lives. When people don't feel like they have that they can be grumpy.

TheLoadedDog said:

Hi there. Fellow grump here. I have a "resting murder face" so even if I'm not exactly feeling grouchy it's just a default expression I have. *shrugs*

Only in the morning when I first wake up, don't talk to me, don't ask me any questions, just leave me be. After that not so much, depends on how the day goes.

Considering the amount of stress,woe and grief the average person has to endure I reckon grumpiness is a fairly mild reaction - surprised there aren't more raging psyscopaths out there  :D  99% of stress in my life has always come from other people [I once lived next door to drug dealer :( ...aagghh.] and now through either avoidance or pre-empting hassle I don't tend to be on the receiving end and keep a light and clear outlook [though I will have occasional grouchy grumpy days.
The best advice for myself which has kept me in stead is this- You can trust people-. to... do.... what... they.. do... :cool: Then I'm not thrown/disappointed/appalled etc

Good luck to you LoadedDog :D

Heya, Loaded. Long time no speak 🫤.
I'm not yet at full grump status. Though it hasn't improved these last 5 years. Sadly, I won't be able to keep you posted, what with you being passed and all. I still miss you, man. I'm sad we never got to go blow up mailboxes in Oz land, sounded like an... interesting adventure lol.
Rest well, my friend.
I'll still keep you posted when I see your name pop up somewhere. Maybe a bit of the sentiment will reach you, wherever you are.

You're not alone! I am a grump too. I have a resting grumpy face, I even gave it to my son..lol. I surely won't smile at someone unless I feel the need to or am comfortable around them and that doesn't happen often (only with time).

I also hate the fake stuff. I am not gonna pretend just to make someone comfortable. But I mean, I am nice.

Latest posts

Back