Do lonely people get upset easily?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seahorse

I am noticing that I get upset easily over things that if I,had more going on in my life might not bother me..everything from politics or some one ignoring me...I remember having a more normal life, (I'm not currently working) and could have lots of frustrating things happen and you just blow them off.
I'm glad I realize that my situation of being lone 24/7 allows me to get upset and dwell on things, but I'd like to be able to change my emotional response and shrug things off

Prolonged isolation can definitely have that effect on me. It used to be worse but I've slowly learned to control my thoughts when I know I'm going to go into a negative spiral thinking about something or someone. Takes practice.

Definitely had some rough periods.

I have an acquaintance who is very intelligent but a loner by choice who has now turned to conspiracy theories. Some of which are just plain ridiculous. I hope that doesn't happen to me

Well, I'm basically alone 24/7 except for my kids and workplace. I get very upset about certain things, but on most things I don't really care.
I'm not convinced the two are related. As for conspiracy theories, well...I think a certain degree of already present naivety leads people to believe those more than an active effect of loneliness.
Besides, there's money in those things. Some guys made entire lives and a load of cash on writing about the Loch Ness Monster or the easter boney, or the stories about JFK or Roswell. Hell, if I were half as intelligent as some of them, I'd write 40 books on NWO kidnappings and global conspiracy theories and rake in some cash in the process lol.
Don't think those two are particularly related. Irritation, possibly.

Yeah, things become amplified in the echo chamber of solitary confinement.

I like to write a daily diary entry and look back at last week and last year. In this way I can see how petty things were in reality compared to how they felt. Yesterday's entry was almost word for word identical as the same day last year (basically a Sunday existential crisis; my life is a hell, I should surrender to God, everything is pointless). It is therapeutic to vent on it anyway (nobody can read it), sometimes I realise that the issue is ridiculously petty and am able to just immediately get over it.

January is toxic for me lonliness wise because my job goes really quiet  I feel like I'm unemployed. I got deep into the conspiracies so much  that it really started to mess with my Gemini mind and I still get ribbed by a colleague about the royal family lizard theory that I convinced myself was fact

You are not alone in this because for me not really having anyone to talk to, to do things with and being alone is so not fun. It also doesn't help not having my depression under control, most of the time I am great as that's why I kind of stopped taking them, more because I forgot and got lazy, but all it takes is a misunderstanding and I get really mad and it takes a while to calm down.

For me also it's also a lot of hard feelings or did have them for my wife or should I say soon to be ex. I don't see my daughter as often, so I can easily dwell on those things. It sure makes it difficult and I try, but I know that it will get better. I too don't have a job, something I did until I get upset and quit because upper management was being jerks. All I can say is hang in there, it does get better.

I think so. Or some do anyway. I know other people are able to shut down their emotions. I don't know if I get upset easier. In some ways I do. I get frustrated easily. But I tend to feel things more deeply, I guess. When I like someone, I like them quite deeply, trust them. So, I think I tend to feel rejection deeply as well. Sometimes I wish I could be like those people who can shut their emotions off, or compartmentalize them. But I am what I am, I guess, and I know that, for instance, when I like someone, then I will be the most loyal and honest friend, or more ... and, yeah, but it's a double-edged sword, that's for sure.

I think so. I generally am alone most of the time so I am much more focused on things. I would say most people have a focus of 5 all the time (on a scale of 1-10) and I am at 10. This does tend to make it so I can see a slight or get upset about one more easily. Work generally keeps my mind off of things most of the time. 

There is also no back up. This week the train broke down on me.  Everyone else was taking it in stride but it was really cold here and I had zero way to get home if the train couldn't get us there. It was everything I could do to remain calm. But after two hours we got going. Had we not, I would have been in a lot of trouble.

One of the symptoms of Avoidant Personality Disorder (which is something I have) is the tendency to take casual criticisms personally.

I get upset easily because I deal with so much more rejection as a lonely person. If I had more social successes, I wouldn't be bothered so much by people ignoring or excluding me.

I'm alone a lot and don't have a social support network. If some logistical stress in the world impacts me, who am I gonna call? A few weeks ago I had to drive my pickup truck the 10 miles or so into town for servicing and needed a ride back home and than into town again to collect the truck.
I only have one personal relationship and she was in the next state at a family gathering. It would seem a trivial thing but I actually stressed out over it......too much so. In the end the neighbor across the road in our village was glad to help. I insisted on repaying him with a jar of my bees' honey.

So there it is.....only one personal relationship.....who's gonna back me up if the s**t really hits the fan? What if I was hospitalized? Who would I call to take me home when i was discharged? A taxi? What kind of life is that?

Yes, I do get upset very easily. Then it turns violent.

Latest posts

Back