What are your expectations of people ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None.
Seriously, I have no expections of people.
Funny part is, they usually deliver, too.

Only thing I do expect of is my family, and that's to be there for me.

To disappoint me if I were to have expectations. I realised long ago that nobody is coming to save me. I'm on my own in my situation (not literally, strangely enough).

Thinking about it I have positive and negative expectations of certain people that I will be seeing in the next week (because it is that time of year). One person I am looking forward to seeing because he is a nice man (my son) and any others I expect thoughtless comments and irritating behaviour. I am taking into consideration your posts and comments about lonely people potentially being over-sensitive to perceived slights. I guess I might be guilty of that when it comes to my feelings getting hurt by thoughtless comments people make. I will try and let things go and not take them to heart.

I do not have any deeper expectations than that. Human beings are selfish and exist in their own bubbles of reality.

I am enjoying this site and I am going to just keep asking questions....to learn from others, to let them vent...to take away some of my own angst

I've learned that its not really about what you expect from other people, but what you alone will TOLERATE from others.

Hold YOURSELF to a higher standard and don't worry about others.

I don't expect anything from people. What's the point? Expectations only lead to disappointments. Expect things out of YOURSELF, not others. Not everyone has the same standards that you do, not everyone does things the way you do, so by holding them to your standards (which are what expectations are, really), that's not fair to anyone and will only make everything worse for yourself.

I'd like to say I don't expect anything from people, but I'm disappointed every time people reject kindness, compassion and understanding. I've always thought these things come naturally, but I can't help but feel disappointed to my core.

Seahorse said:
Brennabean, these things do come naturally to many people. They really do.

I think so, too. It's too bad there are so many people in this world who are just cruel, thoughtless and self-centred because it's interactions with those people that stick with me the most.

Depends who the people are. I have higher expectations of loyalty and good feelings from family and friends, but I do also have some expectations from most people to at least treat me and anyone else for that matter with decency. This doesn't mean admire me or be my buddy or anything, it just means be decent, to get along or if that isn't possible then to at least stay out of each other's way instead of being an antagonist. Also, I expect others to not play stupid social hierarchy dominance games with me. I just want to live, I don't want to have to jockey for position.

I do expect at least the possibility of forming a close connection sometime to be on the table if it seems at all reasonable and I can prove that I'm worth it instead of immediately and permanently writing me off as some kind of inferior being. That really aggravates me, why the social classism, especially if we can talk and stuff. Who knows. I'm trying and maybe I could be more connection-worthy in the future once I build myself up more.

Just be, as they say in Scotland, STAUNCH.

I don't care if you're grumpy, rude, irritable, etc. Just be there for me 24/7. And I will be for you.

One of the toughest lessons iv learnt in the past year is that people don't love the same way I do.

And I expected that from a lot of people which lead to self inflicted heartache and pain.

I now just expect love lol in however way or form a friend or family member or person tries to show it.

Latest posts

Back