Overcoming The Past

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We can only go forward. Even if that forward is neigh impossible.

I live my life according to Nietche (urg, however it's spelt lol).
"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger". Sometimes life is crap, but I'm still here. I'm still hanging and it threw everything but the kitchen sink at me and then some.
We can only do the same. You have people to lean on, lean on them sometimes. It's hard feeling different sometimes, but, it's also a source of pride.

Obviously I have no idea what you're referring to ,when you say about things in your past. But for me I dwell a lot harder on things I feel I haven't learnt a big enough lesson from, so for example if I was in that situation again would I now be able to change the outcome. If the answer is yes, I'm happy and move on...when it's a no, I'll still be thinking of it years later. I guess it's more down to regret for me.

I definitely feel like my past holds me back. I have a lot flashbacks that upset me.

Muse said:
I definitely feel like my past holds me back. I have a lot flashbacks that upset me.

I am sorry to hear that. I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I hope everything works out for you and that you have understanding people in your life.

BeyondShy said:
I think it is hard to overcome the past when it keeps happening.

I do believe there is an element of truth to this. Certainly when there is always a constant reminder at any rate.

There are a couple of things in my past that do still have an impact of the way I am and think nowadays. I try so hard to keep them hidden, but sometimes it is difficult.

PurpleStar said:
BeyondShy said:
I think it is hard to overcome the past when it keeps happening.

I do believe there is an element of truth to this. Certainly when there is always a constant reminder at any rate.

There are a couple of things in my past that do still have an impact of the way I am and think nowadays. I try so hard to keep them hidden, but sometimes it is difficult.

History tends to repeat itself if you don't learn from it and/or accept it.
Now, keep in mind that I don't mean you have to be OKAY with it, just accept that it happened and there's nothing you can do to change it.  After you do that, it will be easier to move on from it and stop letting it have power over you.

I have long since accepted what has happened, it took a long time but I have. It's just trying to live with my self and move on from it, function like a normal person. I guess this whole post started because I was having a good time one day, and then something happened, something small and inconsequential that triggered a memory that I didn't even know I had and it threw me completely off I didn't get any sleep for several days afterward. Its really disheartening and it makes me feel as if I will be a damaged person for the rest of my life. Unable to connect with others, unable to be understood, and unable to be happy. 

Sorry to be such a downer, I know I am not alone out there, it makes me feel better to read others posts where they feel the same way I do and I don't feel like a weak loser as much anymore. I think my problem is relating to other people, its nice to find a site where I can do that.

You're not a weak loser. Sometimes, life is just hard.
That's why we congregate here. Once in a while we need to be reminded someone can give us a hand ;-)

I've always felt different, personally. Never felt more alone than now. But I wear my difference like a badge of honor, because ain't no one will ever come that will be exactly like I am. It's a strenght, an asset to this world.
Same goes for you. Even when you're not convinced.

No need to apologize. We all have our moments :)

Elyseon said:
I have long since accepted what has happened, it took a long time but I have. It's just trying to live with my self and move on from it, function like a normal person. I guess this whole post started because I was having a good time one day, and then something happened, something small and inconsequential that triggered a memory that I didn't even know I had and it threw me completely off I didn't get any sleep for several days afterward. Its really disheartening and it makes me feel as if I will be a damaged person for the rest of my life. Unable to connect with others, unable to be understood, and unable to be happy. 

Sorry to be such a downer, I know I am not alone out there, it makes me feel better to read others posts where they feel the same way I do and I don't feel like a weak loser as much anymore. I think my problem is relating to other people, its nice to find a site where I can do that.

There is a lot in here that makes me feel and hope you are headed the right way, you were having a good time, so you are capable of having a good time, that's a plus! something threw you back... that's sad, this is the result of unprocessed trauma, I have the same with silly things or just a thought even, things that shouldn't throw me off but for some reason send me into a crybaby mode, I'm not ashamed of it, I just ******* hate being like that.

You might have to live with being damaged, but that doesn't mean you can't have a full and worthwhile existence, you can connect, people will understand and you could be happy... it will just come a it harder for you, and will take you more time than most.

Latest posts

Back