Any writters here?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShyNLonely

Reaction score
Hi all. :)
I'm writter, but I write only songs for myself. I think I will open my poetry blog soon, since I have some finished songs, and some unfinished song - and that will maybe keep me want writting more then I do now.
Aynway, besides songs, "I wanna write a book". I have best female friend, and she is kinda artist of every type, sings, writes, draws .... like everything. I've heard from from her that she is writting a book. We were on coffee and she tolds me that she writtes short stories with some strange characters, and when I heard story about some of her work, I was super super impressed. And on last coffee she told me that she is writting a book. And when she told me some basic stuff about book, I was like: " When you finish it, I will buy it - don't care if it's gonna be published ... just one favour, signature and personal note in it, tnx. " . I said that ofc with smile all over my face. :D
We actually did talk about writting, and problem is with me and book that I just can't describe what I have in mind in lots of words. Like, someone says " blue chair ". And she can write like 3 pages of blue chair only. I can write 3 words. But I'm good at writing songs, like way way more better.
Problem with this topic, I was in half-dream, half-awake phase of day when I laid in bed few days ago, I had some strange thoughts and I was like, I need to write this down on word file, maybe it will be usefull. It was ofc matherial for book. And I have like whole idea in my head and what will happen in book, every single detail. But I have " blue chair problem ".
So .... how to write a book if you have cool idea? Tnx.

Hi. I'm not really a writer but I write as an amateur. I've written some short stories an poetry too but not in English. I think the best way if you have no idea how to start is to make a layout. Stablish the main purpose or concept of your story and get into the rest. "Why is this important? and does it make sense?" Are primal to develop a compelling story. You don't have to make every detail on the spot but at least you should know what direction you want the story to go. It's fictional, fantasy, drama? It's vital you make a timeline where you can place this layout and form the skeleton of the book. Even if you barely have a concept, with an organization you can fill the blanks latter and work with characters, arcs, conflicts, etc. I hope this helps.

Hi shynlonely yes I write mostly poetry. I'm not famous for it but when it comes to numbers over words words sit better with me.

I guess you can't really tell someone how to do it. I don't think there's any one particular way . My 5,cents will be wait for an impulse instead of forcing it. Sometimes creativity works better that way. Anything that comes to your head just write it down if you're working on a book expendables advice is very fitting. But other kind of writing I would say make it free flowing don't worry about structure just yet and If you have an idea (impulse) don't leave it waiting for to long but act on it and write it down. Makes sense of it later.

Lol stretching a blue chair into 3 pages is why people hire editors hehe! As someone who writes rhymes/songs and has done for years now I'd say develop YOUR writing style. If you'd prefer to write a book where you leave out details it just means people have room to fill in the blanks! If you don't want to write like that, and you just don't know how to put in more detail. Calm down and ask yourself some questions (For example) about the chair. Is it soft? Hard? what material? Cold to the touch? Do you sink into the chair or does it make you sit upright? Try and put yourself into the situation your character is facing (even if it's a chair lol) that way you will have too much detail and you'll have to start deciding what details you want to keep and what you want to get rid of! Anyway, I hope this helps. :)

I had this issue as well. What I did is, I took a script from a tv-series and then turned it into my own story by sticking to the dialogue. I made it even more difficult by using characters from a different tv series. I refused to change anything to the dialogue so I had to describe all the facial expressions and all that to make sure it would fit with the new characters.

By not having to care about the plot and dialogue, I trained myself on working how to write better descriptions. Describing what they are wearing, the smell in the room etc etc. You can write it like that: "She didn't realise how soft the chair was. The cushions were soft and fluffy and reminded her of some old time in (..). Those were the same cushions that her grandfather had. etc etc."

Good luck!

Wow. Really good tips here.
Just to give some feedback, I googled some stuff last night, and I found some page with books selling, but it has option to "see" some part of books, before buying it in physical copy. So I did my research on that PDF parts of some books ... I think I will be ok.
I got idea and basic principle from video game "Assassin's Creed", with some similarities in storyline from another two video games, with some stuff from my real life in terms of details, with character description based on my real life friends, and also some dialogues are what my friend used to tell me. But I put all that in Assassin's Creed kinda "groove".
Tnx for help in terms of description part, I liked your blue chair part. :D

I used to.
I haven't for quite some time. I was once hoping to get published, I have an idea for an extensive story at least as vast as Lord of the Rings, but not in the same setting.

I'm pretty cool even if this story stays on my blog, really don't care about publishing and money. It's just want for book to keep me doing things.

ShyNLonely said:
I'm pretty cool even if this story stays on my blog, really don't care about publishing and money. It's just want for book to keep me doing things.

LOL Me neither.
But I wanted to do something great at least once in my life, besides my children. Leave a legacy, that sort of thing.
Maybe I'll actually finish writing it someday, who knows.

That's the reason why I started doing things in terms of my "art". Like death of Chester Bennington hit me like a train. So I thought, I should start doing some things before I die. :D

I'm a freelance writer. My professional writing has all been technical stuff, but I do write poetry, short stories, and recently a screenplay for fun.
I'd like to get my fiction published someday, but for now I want to expand my technical writing career.

I enjoy writing.

I like to write short stories primarily, but have branched into poetry before (usually as a way of expressing extreme emotion)

Well, I'm pretty cool with poetry 'cause nothing you wrote just can't be wrong. XD But with books and stories I do have a lot of problems, .... 'cause of blue chair issue. xD

I like to write, but I am incapable of writing anything that isn't meandering, wordy garbage.

Me. I am writing about all the terrible things that will occur to this world in the following years. It is written, therefore it shall come to pass.

I don't like my writing. It comes off as pompous, overblown, and stuffy. This is good for writing business letters and such, but terrible for prose. I don't even dare think of writing poetry. That is an incredible skill, and I am in awe of those who can do it well. More reason to mope about losing my relationship with my ex-gf: she was a poetess of exquisite talent.

I just sit back and bask in the glory of the masters. Samuel Taylor Coleridge is my god.

Tom DeLonge is my poetic god, James Blunt is also really really good writter. Ofc they are musicians, but they are poets! :D

I'm writing a Sci Fi book. Its slow as I fit it in between other things but its a pretty epic storyline.
I started by getting a notepad and breaking it up into characters, settings, beginning, middle and end of story. That really helped when I actually started writing it as I would go back and check my notes.
Hopefully one day I will get it published.

Latest posts

Back