Committing myself.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafo

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea how I go about committing myself to a mental institution?

Jafo said:
Anyone have any idea how I go about committing myself to a mental institution?

I could be wrong, but I think the best thing you could do is call an ambulance and tell them you think you're a danger to yourself and/or others. Or why you think you should be committed, this should be the quickest way for you. I hope you feel better soon mate

Not sure where you are, but I think you could just go to a hospital and....well, check in, so to speak. I don't think they would turn you away, as long as they have room for you.

I've actually pondered that question.
Your safest bet would be to commit a crime and plead insanity. I don't know whom you are as a moral person, but if the more heinous crimes are out of the question, I say rob a bank naked and instead of taking the money, take a hostage and have tea and crumpets with them while wearing a Napoleon hat.
When the SWAT team enters, you tell them Jesus made you do it, because you wanted to fornicate with Queen Elizabeth.

At least, that'd be similar to what I'd do. Mental institution means mental problem, so...act it. In public. With loads of people.

Definitely take yourself off to A&E as a starting point if you can. Most (certainly here at any rate) have an on site psychiatrist to help in exactly these situations and they will be able to talk with you and work out the best course of action.

Sending best wishes. Take care x

Richard_39 said:
Your safest bet would be to commit a crime and plead insanity. I don't know whom you are as a moral person, but if the more heinous crimes are out of the question, I say rob a bank naked and instead of taking the money, take a hostage and have tea and crumpets with them while wearing a Napoleon hat.
When the SWAT team enters, you tell them Jesus made you do it, because you wanted to fornicate with Queen Elizabeth.

At least, that'd be similar to what I'd do. Mental institution means mental problem, so...act it. In public. With loads of people.

Good Lord, no, don't do that.  The difference between committing yourself and being forced in is when you can leave.  If you commit a crime, you will be there until THEY say you can leave.  If you commit yourself, you can usually leave whenever, provided you aren't presenting as a danger to yourself or others.

TheRealCallie said:
Richard_39 said:

Good Lord, no, don't do that.  The difference between committing yourself and being forced in is when you can leave.  If you commit a crime, you will be there until THEY say you can leave.  If you commit yourself, you can usually leave whenever, provided you aren't presenting as a danger to yourself or others.

LOL Guess it's different here. You don't get to leave.

Actually, getting IN is the problem. Considering the costs to the system to be treated, you have to fight to get a diagnostic of mental instability (Too many people do that to get on welfare or disability leave).

Plus, you know...I'd be funny to see myself naked with a Napoleon hat having tea during a bank robbery, on the front page of the papers, admit it ;-)
I always did want to rob a bank. I can do it non-violently and it'd be funny.
Plus, let's say I'm successful, it's not like I'm stealing people's money. More like stealing from the thieves.

Hardest thing of my life and I couldn't even get anti-depressants. Supposedly they didn't know what it would do to my mental state...and when I mentioned how badly I wanted to do violence to another human being?
Well, 6 months latter I'm still at work and nothing's changed. Could practically walk out and kill the man and I'm sure at the 6 o'clock news, doctors and shrinks would say they "tried everything in their power, but sometimes, you just don't see these things comming" LOL. Right...because I haven't said so often enough, obviously................
But you know, since the phenomenon known as "Desinstitutionalisation" back in the 60's, they don't really commit people anymore. Not the ones who need it anyway. No, they'd rather wait until you do something horrible, THEN they'll commit you. Helluva joke. Progress. Wow. Wonderful.
https://www.erudit.org/fr/revues/smq/1987-v12-n2-smq1225/030407ar.pdf

If I may be so bold, why do you want to commit yourself? Crazy's out here, not in there.

Yeah Callie's right, don't try the insane crime thing....you'd just be buying more problems for yourself. And don't call for an ambulance either...they'll charge a bundle of money. Private mental institutions cost a lot too and they probably wouldn't admit you unless you could prove you can pay.
If there's a state mental hospital near enough, go in and tell them you really believe that you're a danger to yourself or other people. I think that they're mandated to at least admit you for evaluation. If there's no state institution, go to a general hospital that has a psych wing.....tell them the same thing. But know that they're probably going to want to be paid too......got insurance?

Do not commit yourself. It's called "scheduling" here. My brother is a cop, and he has the powers to schedule folks. He tells me it sucks big ones, and you must avoid it at all costs.

You are deprived of your liberty. You are basically a zoo animal. You have no rights. If you change your mind... well, good luck with that. Do not go there. There are better options.

Latest posts

Back