Voice doesn't come out of my throat

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovableplatypus

Reaction score
This happens especially at work when I'm suddenly supposed to respond to something to a co-worker, or even if I want to start a conversation, or join in. I work at a shop and mostly don't have such issues with customers. What is wrong with me? I don't talk a lot with my co-workers and I might have to admit to myself that I am kind of scared of them, those confident, popular type of people. I just hate this issue with my voice: I open my mouth but nothing comes out. Why?

Use it.

Seriously.

I am like most people. Annoy me and I will likely raise my voice a bit.

But if you really, really get to me, then something different will happen.

I will become quiet. And scary.

Probably because you're nervous, I used to get that a lot... It's taken time and "faking it Til I make it" to develop the confidence to talk to people. I think you'll feel a lot better if you tell them why you're quiet, social anxiety is a common and well understood thing nowadays. I think once they know why you're so quiet, and accept you for it, you'll feel a bit more comfortable, just enough to take that first step. Maybe I'm way off, but this worked for me. It doesn't have to be all of them, even if it's only one person, one person who gives you that gut feeling that they'll be cool. My favourite saying is graffiti'd in a local venues toilets, "go with your gut". See where it gets you :)

Latest posts

Back