Funny/Interesting Word Geek thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 139760

Reaction score
Ptérodactyl.

It's fun to pronounce. Always loved that word. Constantly trying to put it in a conversation for absolutely no reason but entertainement value. (In french, the sound "Pté" also sounds like "pété", which means to fart or to be broken, so it's we use to joke about it in school and call it a Broken-dactyl ;-) )

All yours, anyone.

To be added to my personal library, learned 45 seconds ago : MENSCH, Yiddish language; "to be a person of integrity and honor".

Thank you :)

I think the best funny word ever is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious, if you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Grammatolatry - which is the worship of letters and words (seemed fitting, lol)

Sci-Fi said:
I think the best funny word ever is Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  Even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious, if you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

LOL! When I was a kid, I learned english watching cartoons and tv. That was one of the words I practiced for a long time to be able to not only spell right, but say right, just because it was complicated ;-)

Another tough one, this one in french; anticonstitutionnellement ;-)

This is cheating, as it's two words. But this is the most beautiful thing in the English language. It's a bit of a sleeper. You will think WTF? at first, but it will grow on you. I think it was James Joyce who discovered this one.

"cellar door".

Cryptozoology is also one of my favs. Not the "science", mind you, the word ;-)

I always liked the way the word 'amanuensis' slips off the tongue. It's a sexy word....the definition isn't particularly sexy though: a literary or artistic assistant, one who takes dictation.

I also like the mundane definition of this interesting and impressive sounding word: antimacassar. It's the piece of cloth one would find in your grandmother's house on the back of an armchair to protect it. 😜

Pathfinder said:
:p Haberdashery

Have you been watching 'The Great British Sewing Bee'? "Right contestants. . . You have 3 hours to make a ladies pleated skirt and ten minutes in the haberdashery to pick out your fabric and trims...And GO!"

ringwood said:
Pathfinder said:
:p Haberdashery

Have you been watching 'The Great British Sewing Bee'? "Right contestants. . . You have 3 hours to make a ladies pleated skirt and ten minutes in the haberdashery to pick out your fabric and trims...And GO!"

^^  No....hahahaha.  It was an old western I'm afraid.  The haberdashery was also a stage stop and rooming house.  I liked the sound of " haberdashery"  If I ever open a bed and breakfast....I think I will call it" Melody's Haberdashery" ....just because I can  :D  ( I'll keep some spools of thread, zippers and buttons in the back just to keep it authentic ;)

Latest posts

Back