Four Years

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Oceanmist23

Imagine four years of your life being taken away from you.
Things were going well. You were happy. Then it all went away, in an instant.
This is the story of my older sister, “Emily”.

It’s 2004. I’m visiting my parents for a few days. One evening while watching tv the phone rings, and mum goes to answer it.
She’s three meters away from me, and I can still hear my sister on the phone screaming and crying uncontrollably.
Emily is terrified that she is going to die.
She doesn’t want to be alone in her house, in case something happens to her.
Mum packs some clothes and dad drives her down to my sister. Mum stays there several nights.

What I’ve just written repeats itself over and over, with breaks of various lengths, for the next 4 years...

Shortly after the first episode in 2004, Emily is referred to a therapist by her doctor due to anxiety and panic attacks.
One-on-one sessions at first, and then she starts group therapy with people who also have anxiety.
Some of them were mentally abused in their childhood, others physically.
Emily suffered neither mental nor physical abuse. Not in her childhood, not ever.
She is having panic attacks and she doesn’t understand why.
If she senses the slightest bit of discomfort in her body it worries her. Her pulse is constantly high. Her ears feel clogged.
Her mood is all over the place. Migraines. Dizziness. Depression. Anxiety. No energy. All these symptoms and they’re not going away.
She’s in and out at the doctor’s office for checks, but there seems to be no physical cause for my sister’s symptoms.
The doctor, the therapists, and to some extent even us - her family, believes the cause of her problems is psychological.
After a while she received a diagnose which turned out to be incorrect.
Then she received the diagnose GAD - General Anxiety Disorder, which has been her diagnose from the therapists ever since.
Other possible diagnoses were depression and M.E.

At one point, things went from bad to worse. The group therapy sessions made Emily hit rock bottom.
I had never seen her so low. She decided to quit the group therapy, and stick to the one-on-one sessions.
Some months ago her doctor believed she was also suffering from hypochondria,
and managed to get her a two day appointment at the world’s first Hypochondria clinic in Bergen, western Norway.
It takes over 7 hours to get to Bergen.

May 2008.
Suddenly, Emily has even less energy. She’s constantly tired.
From May to August I barely see my sister because every day she’s tired, worried and unhappy.

Tuesday, 9th of September 2008.
I hear a car outside my flat. A very long “ding dong” at the door, my sister’s signature entry.
She asks me to look up some information online on the contraceptive pill Yaz.
She tells me she just figured out when she started taking the Yasmin pill. In 2004, before she had any symptoms.
And she said she switched to Yaz in May this year.
I searched for a while on Norwegian pages without finding anything.
Then I googled it, also without any luck. I tried Yasmin instead.

First hit: www.verdicts.co.uk

Then, jackpot: www.askapatient.com

I think, for the first time in four years, my sister is genuinely sad and angry.
Through all this time, all this pain, suffering, hurt... Believing she was losing her mind, pushed to dig into her childhood,
analysing every little thought and emotion yet finding nothing, asking her doctor again and again if the symptoms had anything to do with the contraceptive pill and being told NO ...

All this because of a pill? Trusting your doctor, yet this is the outcome?
Essentially having to be your own doctor to figure out what’s really been causing you to go through hell for the past four years?

How angry would YOU get? How can a doctor do this? How can he just say it has nothing to do with the Yaz and Yasmin pills? HOW? WHY?

Emily stopped taking the contraceptive pill a few days ago. She is never going to take it again, not any kind.
She is going to let her body work the way it’s supposed to work.
It will take just over a week before the substances have left her system.

My sister used to be happy. She had found the love of her life.
She had found her passion in painting landscapes, portraits and fantasy, and in making the most stunning exclusive wedding,
anniversary and birthday cards. She used to love cooking, and made dishes so delicious they could be served in restaurants.
She used to laugh so much.

I pray to God that this is the answer.
I want my sister back.
I miss the old her.

Oceanmist, I can understand your indignation very well. I also learned the hard way not to take a doctor's word for granted. About six years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Just around the same time, or to be more precise, soon after I started losing hair. Vey rapidly at that. I did not associate this hair loss with my thyroid disorder at that time, having repeatedly asked my doctor if they could be related and being told "no" every time. Other doctors I had visited pretty much displayed a complete lack of interest in the problem and all they could stammer out as an explanation was "stress". Ridiculous. Imagine what it's like for a woman to lose hair, which shows no intention whatsoever of growing back? And for a young girl at that? It's completely debilitating. I've been having bouts of depression, hysteria and suicidal thoughts ever since, daily when the shedding became particularly bad. Guess what? It WAS related to my thyroid disorder. Only I found out about it too late, pretty recently. If I knew it back then, I could have started appropriate treatment, which I have now done, and I am positive I would not be where I am now, having lost more than half of my hair, with basically zero chance of it ever growing back and every chance of it continuing to fall out further. So yeah, trusting doctors blindly is a very bad idea. Always do some research of your own before taking any pills or if you're in doubt about your diagnosis.
Sorry for the rant, I hope it really was just the pill and your sister will get better. I wish all the best of luck to her. :)

Silvernight and Oceanmist, I understand both of you. I lost both my grandmothers to incorrect medical diagnosis. By the time, when we seeked second opinion, it was slightly too late, the cancer was at the third stage. Sad really =(

SadRabbit, thank you for your replies.
I'm very sorry to hear about you losing both of your grandmothers
due to incorrect medical diagnosis. Situations like these should never happen...

Silvernight, thank you for sharing your story.
You're not ranting, I appreciate reading your experience
and I'm sorry to hear what you have gone through. I wish you all the best for the future.

I will keep posting on my sister's progress. Fingers crossed.

Hey Ocean,

I hope this is it and your sister gets her life back. Four years is a long period of time, but hopefully she can put them behind her and move on. If things work out, she won't have to regret having lost those years.

I hope your sister gets well, Ocean.
I've had my fair share of being diagnose.
I'm not a MD, so I'm not qualify to give advice on anything.
I suffer from depression and my childhood had a role.
For a while I was put on prozace and therapy.

While the prozac help calm my nerves or lesson my depression...I didn't feel a **** thing and was in a zone.
Oneday I watched my children played and laugh. It kind of hitted me that i wouldn't feel **** thing or enjoyed
life.

I took myself off the meds...which is a NO...NO.
I went into a deep depression, anxieties and withdraws.

It's been a journey. I no longer take any meds, drink or get high.
Bascailly no more mind altering or mood changing substance.

It takes a lof of work. And by no means I'm totally well.
However I'm way better off than if i was on meds or self meds.lol
I've learned better coping skills and living tools.

I've learned to accept and process my emotions through out the years.
It's okay for me to get angery as it is okay for me to be happy.
It's okay for me to feel sadness as it is okay for me to feel joy.

It's okay for me to have crazy thoughts as it is okay for me to have good thoughts.

For the most part of a happy go lucky person.
Some days i feel like a nut...somedays i don't....but it's okay.
Personally i think you have to be a little nut to live this life anyway.lol

Tramp, thank you for replying. I hope she gets her life back too. If it turns out it was the pill all along, she wants to sue the doctor and therapists for misdiagnosis and for four years lost income. She also wants to take her story to the newspapers so other women can be informed of the potential dangers of these particular contraceptive pills. There might be a large number of women suffering in ignorance. Yaz and Yasmin can not have been tested thoroughly enough before they went on the market!

Lonesome Crow, thank you for sharing your story. And well done for getting off the meds, I can only imagine it takes a lot of strength to do that! Best best best wishes *hugs*

I felt like killing that doctor after readin this.. I can understand how u wud feel...

Hope ur sister wil be back to who she used to be in no time...

Your sister needs to see a psychologist. Not a therapist, counsellor, or doctor. It will do her a great deal of help and as long as you have the strength and energy to do whatever it takes to make some things easier for her she will hopefully see that she has many people who love her. She indefinitely needs to change her ways to make the people who love her be comfortable with their lives and with her in it. I hope she can realize that.

Your parents sound so great though. With parents like that I can't see her being the way she is forever.

Good luck.

Sanal, thank you for your reply, I'd like to :club: the doctor myself...

DayvanCowboy, thank you for your reply too, although I have to say I was a bit confused by it..
I am 99% sure that my sister's problems come from the contraceptive pills.
Why do you feel that she should see a psychologist?
After all that she's been through she doesn't want to see any professional. She's been to all sorts, doctors, therapists, homoeopaths...
She's had acupuncture, meditation, read countless self-help books, you name it.
She told me that for once in four years she wants to quit all of this and start to trust herself and her body, and let life go naturally.
I support her in that completely.
All along she never had actual mental problems, but the doctor and therapists made her believe she did.

Let's take an example.
You start taking the contraceptive pill in January.
In February you get anxiety, panic attacks and depression.
In March you ask the doctor if it could be because of the pill, he says no, you trust him.
In April you're referred to a therapist because doc thinks you're crazy, you trust him.
The next four years you're going through hell, with symptoms that don't improve.
And only now you realise you've been given the wrong treatment all along.
If you had stopped the pill four years ago you would've been fine.

Anyway, who knows what will happen within the next month.
She might need to see a psychologist to be able to deal with being misdiagnosed and disbelieved for so long, but I truly hope she won't need that.

She knows her family and her boyfriend love her very much.

Thanks for the kind words about our parents, they would do anything to help us kids, bless them.

Latest posts

Back