Does your work make you sad?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's important to you, yet you don't know which category you fall into?

I work because I don't want to be poor and I'm an adult, which means I have responsibilities. Half the time I do enjoy my job though.

Yes and no. I work in corrections and some days are great and I wouldn’t leave for anything. Other days make me want to walk and say “do it yourself!” But I know that if I can handle the bad I can handle anything. The people I work with can make or break my day but I don’t let it stop me. I can’t. My mentor inspired me in such away I couldn’t explain it to anyone, even after his death. He made such an impact on my life that I strive to make the same impact on someone else’s. It’s hard though some people don’t understand why I do things the way I do and think I’m stupid or childish. I’ve been called racist this past year. My advice to you is basically this: what do you want your legacy to be?

I hate my job. Have hated it with a serious passion. I thought I'd stay for the people and prevented myself from doing what I wanted to do when I got here because my boss was throwing me flowers.
Now that I've lived through the greatest personal crisis of my life, they're trying to throw me out for incompetence. ME. Of all people.
Funny how life is.
Only advice I can give you, did enough shitty jobs simply because I needed money and somehow, even when I shoot for higher, it doesn't seem to work out. So only advice I have is; if you have a dream, shoot for it. If you're not sure if you like what you're doing, try and fail to do something you'll love rather than endure impossible situations like I'm currently handling right now.
I'm going to inquire to see if I can make it and study as a social worker, possibly. After all this, I doubt I could do security or constable impartially, but I can help people, if only through my own experience. And people deserve and need to be helped.
So if you've got something you always wanted to do but was too scared to do, shoot for it. Maybe it won't work, but at least you'll have made your shot. If you have some sadness about your job, maybe it's not the right one for you right now.

To sum up my job...

Positives:

• I don't mind it - that's not to say I love it, but at the same time I don't hate it.
  • It's quite "technical" with thinking involved, which I like.
  • It's physical, I'd hate a job where I just sit there all day.
  • There's company benefits, optical, dental, medical, good pension scheme, etc..
  • I get 2 weeks off every 6 weeks of work
  • The company has been around for 30+ years and there's always high demand; job security.
  • The pay is ok, not excellent but definitely above average with plenty of optional OT.
Negatives:

• 12 hour shifts. I hate 12 hour shifts, you have no life during work.
  • My shift patterns are hardcore for 6 weeks at a time. Staggered patterns often feeling exhausted constantly swapping days and nights.
  • There's no holidays. Because you get 2 weeks off every 6 they don't allow you to take holidays when you want. But you can swap with someone.
Even though there's more positives it's around even because the shifts really are garbage, on top of that 12 hours is so long. It's difficult to have any kind of relationship or hobby when I'm working. And sometimes feels pretty monotonous  just going work, come home, shower, eat, sleep, go work, come home, shower, eat, sleep... with very little time for anything inbetween.

Sometimes I think you just gotta take the good with the bad but other times I feel like looking for another one.

Liparks said:
Yes and no. I work in corrections and some days are great and I wouldn’t leave for anything. Other days make me want to walk and say “do it yourself!” But I know that if I can handle the bad I can handle anything. The people I work with can make or break my day but I don’t let it stop me. I can’t. My mentor inspired me in such away I couldn’t explain it to anyone, even after his death. He made such an impact on my life that I strive to make the same impact on someone else’s. It’s hard though some people don’t understand why I do things the way I do and think I’m stupid or childish. I’ve been called racist this past year. My advice to you is basically this: what do you want your legacy to be?

Hi Liparks. Thanks for that. 

A mentor actually hits the spot. You're right, I think having a mentor would do great. But the thing is, who might that be? I can say that I don't have a mentor here at my job. I'm even having an awkward time approaching my team leader.

My legacy/plan is to grow my website and make it something or even near like BuzzFeed. If I'll get even a bit closer there, I can work home and spend more time with my family. 

But still, that's just being positive. The reality is slapping me every time, saying that life is hard. But thanks for all the thoughts.

Richard_39 said:
I hate my job. Have hated it with a serious passion. I thought I'd stay for the people and prevented myself from doing what I wanted to do when I got here because my boss was throwing me flowers.
Now that I've lived through the greatest personal crisis of my life, they're trying to throw me out for incompetence. ME. Of all people.
Funny how life is.
Only advice I can give you, did enough shitty jobs simply because I needed money and somehow, even when I shoot for higher, it doesn't seem to work out. So only advice I have is; if you have a dream, shoot for it. If you're not sure if you like what you're doing, try and fail to do something you'll love rather than endure impossible situations like I'm currently handling right now.
I'm going to inquire to see if I can make it and study as a social worker, possibly. After all this, I doubt I could do security or constable impartially, but I can help people, if only through my own experience. And people deserve and need to be helped.
So if you've got something you always wanted to do but was too scared to do, shoot for it. Maybe it won't work, but at least you'll have made your shot. If you have some sadness about your job, maybe it's not the right one for you right now.

Thanks for that. I think it's because that when I'm a kid I thought that life would be great. 

I just got out of college and thought that I would have a great job (currently having a great job, but why am I feeling this?). I'm the kind of person that thinks of the my future. And what the "now" will effect on "tomorrow". Well, I'm still young (21)... maybe I'll have a good life.

bookwormjadi1 said:
Thanks for that. I think it's because that when I'm a kid I thought that life would be great. 

I just got out of college and thought that I would have a great job (currently having a great job, but why am I feeling this?). I'm the kind of person that thinks of the my future. And what the "now" will effect on "tomorrow". Well, I'm still young (21)... maybe I'll have a good life.

I thought so as well, at your age. Didn't finish college, only 4 classes or so left to get my diploma and started working.
But sometimes, the flow takes you to unnexpected places you don't want to go to if you didn't plan. At least you have a diploma.
SO know that you can get a job in your branch as a failsafe but if you're not happy now? Actively pursue what would make you happy NOW, not at my age (38). By then, you'll find it much harder to do so, both in mind and spirit and body.
So try. And fail, if that happens, but the important thing is totry. You have a duty to yourself to make yourself happy in life. Try to make yourself that as much as possible. That will guarantee you, maybe not a lucrative future, but a future you'll be proud of.

I used to enjoy my job a lot, looked forward to coming in every day. Not so much now, after how much they're taking me for granted as a capable / experienced employee. I'm overworked, underpaid and it's unfair how people of the same rank or higher than me don't get as much shitness. It's gotta be, seems to be a trend in every job I've had.

But I suck it up and keep going, for financial reasons. It's making me unhappy and does make me wonder when I should start looking for another job. I've been too comfortable in the current one it feels impossible for a change and well, I absolutely hate change.

ladyforsaken said:
But I suck it up and keep going, for financial reasons. It's making me unhappy and does make me wonder when I should start looking for another job. I've been too comfortable in the current one it feels impossible for a change and well, I absolutely hate change.

There's no time like the present. You describe the main reason whey many people choose to stay in their job as miserable as they feel because of the fact that it's the easier option. People get comfortable in what they do and feel like they won't be able to adapt to other jobs (as well as "I'm too old", "They'll be others more qualified than me", and a favourite; "It's not the right time"). You have good work ethic, and it might be daunting starting a new job but it's really not as scary or difficult as you think.

bookwormjadi1 said:
Does you work somehow make you sad or Inspire you?

This is quite important to me. I'm not sure if I enjoy my job, sad about my job or it simply doesn't matter as long as I have a job.

I'm a web developer at the moment. And am doing some blogging: http://thedavessablog.cf

I've been toying with not retiring from my job of 28 years.  I am able to at 55, three years from now...there is an incentive and state retirement kicks in, it's alot of money. However, it's not the same as working. My divorce 7 years ago, while I came out of it better than most men, my ex plundered our budget for the 23 years we were together. And it's only in the last 2 years where I am now just enjoying myself financially.....believe it or not for the first time in my adult life.  I'm getting married this April, and I would love to retire and travel with this woman who has made me happier than I have ever been. However, I'm rethinking....my estranged mom and I are lightly communicating again. (My estranged family reached out to my fiancee via facebook, friended her and it has opened the door for some communication with me) My late father worked here for almost 50 years, he didn't take the incentive back in the 90's. They hounded him, treated him bad because they want the people who work here that long, to get out so they can save money.  I'm coming up in 4 years to the same place he was at, and everyone believes I will retire.  I'm closed mouthed, but have said I'd "like" too.  I asked my mom over the weekend via email, my fathers reasons for not retiring, and man it's an eye opener.  Now I'm staying.... I think.  I don't want to work somewhere and be burned out for ten more years. However, leaving and taking the money, and then in the end having to work anyway, here I have seniority, in my dept I have the most.  

Of late, I look at work as a big fat dollar sign as opposed to trying to squeeze personal pleasure out of being there. I don't have friends except my fiancee who works there as well. She's been there about 15 years, so it's not like she's going to be leaving anytime soon unless I do.  I've told her she doesn't even have to work if she doesn't want to, we've toyed about leaving together and riding off into the sunset.  The bottom line to riding into the sunset is f'n MONEY. And I'm not sure I can fund a life like that for longer than a year or two before I'd have to go back to work.

Money or less money and retirement.  Once you sign up to leave, it's a done deal and there's no going back.  In 1991 when I started here, a female coworker signed up to retire. Her husband had just done the same thing (worked here as well.)  There was 8 months to go when she signed up and he was diagnosed with cancer, and died three months later.  She begged to be able to stay, and cancel her retirement.  Since they both worked here, she opted out of certain benefits because he could keep her on his.... obviously dying canceled that, and she headed into retirement with less benefits and money.  They would not make an exception. As for me, I love being in the position of having more money than I've ever had, and giving that up might be hard. Staying one day past the deadline, disqualifies you from the incentive.  So you're stuck.  Leaving gives you the incentive plus 40% of your pay for the rest of your life.

If any of you have read this far, you might be able to see....its a good place to be to begin resenting where you work.

kamya said:
I'd retire so hard. soooo harddd

Trust me, I'd love to, and I still might. There's time...  In my 20's, I said I'd never retire and ignored the retirement reps that would show up once or twice a year.  In my 30's, said "I have plenty of time." 40's, same thing.  Now....I have 4 years to go and have to put in a year ahead if want the incentive. It's a big decision.... 

When I got divorced, I discovered just how much my ex wife blew over the years.  Not that I have an exact figure, but we never had enough money to ever do anything, make any improvements on the home, tax returns never seemed to happen.  I blame myself..... I was horrible with money when I was younger, and when I met her right after getting out of the army, I got serious too **** fast.  I never loved her or was attracted to her.  She was nice looking, long blonde hair, and very into me.  I loved the attention..and having zero dating experience, thought I'd better hang on to her.  I remember breaking up with her one night a month before the wedding..told her I didn't love her. And she cried and begged me to tell her I was kidding. Stupid me...that's exactly what I did.  I turned all the money over to her, she was very good at it, and we lived well for a couple years and then I believe she started spending. I have no idea where all the money went but our home went into foreclosure twice.... she never paid it, and all of the other bills were always behind.  After she left to be with her boyfriend, I met a much younger woman, and started a relationship with her. She was really smart, and smart with money and helped teach me the system I use to this day.  It took me a couple years but for the last two, I have enjoyed having financial stability, a credit score over 800....when it never climbed past 580 until now.  And now this new girl in my life, well, two years now.....beautiful, nurturing, giving (shes not a taker at all) sweet, - all I want to do is enjoy her and our life together.  Working, I know I will not ever have to worry about anything financial. Retired, I'm not so sure.  I'd hate to have to go back into that world again where I'm constantly worried about money.

kamya said:
I'd retire so hard. soooo harddd

I'd retire in 5 seconds.

Always hated work. Not because I'm lazy, but because I kind of have a problem making the rich and shameless richer.
In the end, we're not much different from serfs from 1500 years ago. It's just that the kings are named Wallmart, Home Hardware or Federal Governement...

I used to enjoy my current job, to the point where I looked forward to going to work. That's not the case anymore. Partly it's due to stagnation and partly it's due to newer management being too stubborn and by-the-book. Hopefully this year I'll muster up the gumption to pursue a new line of work.

reynard_muldrake said:
I used to enjoy my current job, to the point where I looked forward to going to work. That's not the case anymore. Partly it's due to stagnation and partly it's due to newer management being too stubborn and by-the-book. Hopefully this year I'll muster up the gumption to pursue a new line of work.

Sounds kinda similar to mine. Except that for mine, they're just changing a lot of things that seem to be quite unreasonable. Adding on tasks that should not be part of my job scope. It's definitely draining me mentally. It's amazing how much work affects my general mood.

Yes. My job has, on occasion, people who kill themselves as a direct and proximate cause of actions that I and my co workers take. It happens a lot. I have always thought it was just crazy that there is no counseling or even someone to talk to about it. Somehow we are all supposed to man up and go on like nothing happened. It DOES bother me.

Almost everyone at my workplace is married and I kind of wonder if that is why now... like you need someone that you can confide in.

On the retirement -- the earliest I can retire is 57 but I will lose a ton of money. So I will retire at 60 with the full benefit. I cannot understand people that want to work until their 70s or 80s. What if you die young? A co worker spent her entire life putting up with crud until the year she could retire -- 57 and then, was diagnosed with uterine cancer and died within the week. That made me vow to keep in good health and retire asap.

EmilyFoxSeaton said:
Yes. My job has, on occasion, people who kill themselves as a direct and proximate cause of actions that I and my co workers take. It happens a lot. I have always thought it was just crazy that there is no counseling or even someone to talk to about it. Somehow we are all supposed to man up and go on like nothing happened.  It DOES bother me.

Almost everyone at my workplace is married and I kind of wonder if that is why now... like you need someone that you can confide in.

On the retirement -- the earliest I can retire is 57 but I will lose a ton of money. So I will retire at 60 with the full benefit. I cannot understand people that want to work until their 70s or 80s. What if you die young? A co worker spent her entire life putting up with crud until the year she could retire -- 57 and then, was diagnosed with uterine cancer and died within the week. That made me vow to keep in good health and retire asap.

I feel the same way about people that are working even after 50 =P

I hope I'm not in a situation where I HAVE to still work when I'm 50.

kamya said:
I hope I'm not in a situation where I HAVE to still work when I'm 50.

50!? Tell me your plan on that??

I have no option before early retirement at 55 and I would lose a ton of money if I did that.

Latest posts

Back