Ignored for looking different

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macaroniac

Reaction score
My studies have recently taken me abroad and I am now in Australia. I prefer to travel alone but the other students who have come abroad wanted to travel together. I don't mind gritting my teeth so I agreed.

However I find myself hating these travels. Every guy that we meet has absolutely zero interest in me. I have no interest in flirting or anything. I really just enjoy talking and having discussions with people I meet. But these girls I am travelling with are beautiful and blonde and pale. I have brown skin and black hair. And for some reason people genuinely do not want to speak to me. Guys ignore me when I speak, ignore me when my companions introduce me and will walk away if one of my  walk away. 

This has happened around 15 times so far. Most recently, I was in a room with the girls and some Swedish guys. I was the only non blonde person there and I was ignored completely.

We had someone take photos of us and each girl had about 8 photos each, while I had 2. I was also cut out of a photo of a large group so that everyone in the photo was the same ethnicity.

It's a bit depressing and I'm finding myself getting self conscious about my looks, regardless of what I tell myself. I don't know if this is normal or not. Anyone else experienced this? How do you deal with it?

Macaroniac said:
We had someone take photos of us and each girl had about 8 photos each, while I had 2. I was also cut out of a photo of a large group so that everyone in the photo was the same ethnicity.

It's a bit depressing and I'm finding myself getting self conscious about my looks, regardless of what I tell myself. I don't know if this is normal or not. Anyone else experienced this? How do you deal with it?

On the one hand you can't insist that other people have to like you or accommodate you in their personal lives,
on the other hand... seriously? Screw them, you don't need people like that in your life.

You what???? This is an issue with your travelling comrades. Have you seen the streetscape in an Australian city? Pretty much EVERYBODY is brown. Can you go out by yourself? I know you are not interested in flirting, but just go out and mix with the locals. I'm pretty much the only white guy in my suburb. It's mostly Lebanese, Vietnamese, Greek, Chinese, Indian, Sudanese. It's basically black hair as far as the eye can see. Ditch those people and strike out on your own. You will be accepted. Even in rural areas (which are a bit more white bread), you'll be fine. You will be accepted. Trust me.

I'm sorry you're experiencing all this discrimination. I lived in OZ for a bit and the reality is that some cities are better than others when it comes to accepting diversity. 

The truth is, when you move to places where your ethnicity/appearance is the minority, chances are, you'll get some idiots behaving like, well, idiots. I know it's difficult but you have to move your focus away from these people (who are not worth your time) and look for people who are cool. 

They're out there. Maybe try clubs or social meet ups or international social groups? Don't let this group of awful people dampen your experience there. Australia is a beautiful country and I hope you meet some awesome people soon and enjoy it.

I have experienced it during all my teenage and college years. I somehow dealt with it, it took a lot of patience and struggle, but I made it. Not that I found someone or something, but an indifference has grown in me, and its utterly empowering. It feels great to not care about others judging you, it liberates you, that I can say.
I don't know how to describe what I did, but I can say that the answer doesn't lie in finding someone called the right person/people or changiing/acting differently to fit in . I mean, you can try both, they don't work though.

Latest posts

Back