A Friend I Miss Dearly

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoadedDog

Reaction score
Her name was Thuy.  This is pronounced, more or less "twee" - but with weird Vietnamese tonal accents:  it drops in tone then kicks up again.   We were close.

In 2007, she died of lung cancer (never smoked in her life).  She had bought me a very beautiful cup.  I cherished it.   

Last night, with a careless flick of my hand, I smashed it to smithereens on the floor.  This hurts more than you might think.  I am beating myself up.  I know that is silly.

Thank you, Thuy.  And I am sorry.

Sorry about your friend. And I can understand how you must be feeling about the cup...the only thing I had of my grandma's was a necklace she gave me for my 16th birthday and when it got stolen, I was crushed. But it will get easier with time. Hang in there.

Thanks Amelia.

Funny part is, Thuy was a very practical lady. She'd be the first to tell me: "Pull yourself together. It was just a cup."

Have I offended the Gods or something?

Go to Facebook...

"You have a new friend suggestion!"

Yes. My boss. Lovely man. He died four years ago.

It's not silly. An object might be an object, but what it's tied to is sometimes of much greater value.
I'm sorry for your loss, bro.
Try and glue half the pieces together and keep that. From your words, if she's the kind of lady I think, she'd have found that funny and cute.
Fitting.

Well keep her in your heart. As long as she's there, she lives forever, dude.

She's there. Along with others.

To quote the legendary Bob Marley: "Good friends we had, good friends we lost, along the way..."

I'd like to say I'll meet them again one day, but suspect I'm going to the other place. ;)

TheLoadedDog said:
She's there.  Along with others.

To quote the legendary Bob Marley:  "Good friends we had, good friends we lost, along the way..."    

I'd like to say I'll meet them again one day, but suspect I'm going to the other place.  ;)

LOL I always wanted to play cards with Einstein and Alistair Crowley, don't you?
Plus, free hot dogs. And the showers are always warm. ;-)

Einstein and Crowley. A combination I had never previously considered. It would be an interesting night.

Brings me to my favourite Einstein relativity joke:

Einstein to conductor: "Excuse me, what time does Chicago arrive at this train?"

Do what thou wilt.

Oh, it will be.
When I end up there though, be warned, if it's the whole torture thing going on still? I plan on taking over and bringing in some peace and stability. Eternal pain's way too retro, besides which, we'll probably have Celine Dion down there for that.

:D

Probably good Celine Dion wasn't around in the Dark Ages. Slammed into an iron maiden full of spikes? OK. Burned at the stake? Sure. Celine Dion? Nooooo....

You'd like the Tyburn Tree.

TheLoadedDog said:
Probably good Celine Dion wasn't around in the Dark Ages.  Slammed into an iron maiden full of spikes?  OK.  Burned at the stake?  Sure.   Celine Dion?  Nooooo....

You'd like the Tyburn Tree.

Hehe, we got a secret weapon here in Quebec we never released to the world, called Michel Louvain.
Here, watch this at around the 3 minute mark, the torture scene. It's a skit by Rock et Belles Oreilles, the humor group. Michel is the guy on the tv lol.

Even Kim Jung-Wound should be afraid of us ;-)

An object of such sentimental value is irreplaceable. If it's not repairable i'd probably keep the peaces.

Your dear friend will always be in your memories & in your heart!

Perhaps the breaking of this cup is a sign that you need to let go a little more, that perhaps you still find it hard to accept that she's gone, or that your attachment to her is holding you back in life in some way.

It's possible that the feelings stirred up by this will help you in some way, it's not silly at all to have feelings about this, especially if she meant so much to you!

Life tends to work this way at times I find.

Thanks all. It's not that big a deal in many ways. I can go days or weeks without thinking of her. It's just smashing that cup kinda brought it all back. I can remember breaking the news to my close friend who was in love with her, and the funeral, and all the rest. Buddhist funerals are the saddest ones. So a blast from the past I didn't need, and angry with myself for my carelessness. But like I said, she'd have been the first to tell me not to worrry about it.

Before saying a word, he [Ajahn Chah] motioned to a glass at his side. “Do you see this glass?” he asked us. “I love this glass. It holds the water admirably. When the sun shines on it, it reflects the light beautifully. When I tap it, it has a lovely ring. Yet for me, this glass is already broken. When the wind knocks it over or my elbow knocks it off the shelf and it falls to the ground and shatters, I say, ‘Of course.’ But when I understand that this glass is already broken, every minute with it is precious.”

Since Buddhism was mentioned and all.

Latest posts

Back