Depressing music in situational depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't suffer from depression in the physiological sense, but when I have situations that cause an array of deep and negative emotions I find comfort in listening to depressing music.

A lot of people suggest turning it off and doing something fun, but I never find that helps. It just gets pushed off. 

Does listening to depressing music help you through situational depression? I think its a process that helps me recognize how I feel and maybe get a greater understanding and why i feel that way. That helps me figure out how to avoid this pain in the future. 

Can anyone relate?
Does anyone just feel depressing music just makes depression worse?

OverTheRainbow said:
I don't suffer from depression in the physiological sense, but when I have situations that cause an array of deep and negative emotions I find comfort in listening to depressing music.

A lot of people suggest turning it off and doing something fun, but I never find that helps. It just gets pushed off. 

Does listening to depressing music help you through situational depression? I think its a process that helps me recognize how I feel and maybe get a greater understanding and why i feel that way. That helps me figure out how to avoid this pain in the future. 

Can anyone relate?
Does anyone just feel depressing music just makes depression worse?

There is a distinctive effect by music on emotions and feelings. It's a clinically, scientifically proven fact. In what way however, still remains a mystery and an area of speculation.

Maybe depressive music released pheromones in your case that help you combat depression? Who knows.
When I'm feeling down I listen to Life is a Highway by Tom Cochrane and it reminds me that if I want to, tomorrow I can throw my entire life away, hit the road and live carefree for a day. It helps. AC/DC does that too.

So whatever works lol.
In my case, upbeat music makes we want to destroy the radio and brutally murder the singer, so it's not appropriate to me lol.

I find that music can intensify/ amplify my feelings. It seems to be the same with reading, television and even chatting to people.
If I experience negative emotion while listening to music I tend to turn it off so that I can have clear thought.

I think it depends on the person. For me, music that's depressing tends to focus me more on negative feelings, keep me thinking about them longer. Once I start digging into that rut I tend to keep going rather than just have enough.

I don't use music to alliviate my mood, so much as my mood generally determines what I want to listen to.

If I'm down, I want a harder or darker song, maybe even a sad one. If I'm in love or equally peppy like that, something fun or even a love song.

To be honest, I watch more music videos than straight listen to music, and a lot of times said content of that (series, movie, etc) can affect mood too. "I'm feeling pissed, I want to watch a Berserk video" for example, or I'm somber, "How about a touching Berserk video"? Etc.

But they always pass once my mood changes; they don't make my mood.

I suffer from clinical depression, I'm unmedicated, and I'm a musician. Depression for me is the flattening of emotions, a lack of feeling entirely. As in not even sadness. I actually had to learn to appreciate emotional pain because at least it's a definitive feeling. The whole thing is like a blackout and right around the two month mark is when I start getting anxious, restless, and somewhat catatonic. Depressing music does help to play, it's like a breath of fresh air after being under water too long.

Latest posts

Back