Ask the Australian

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLoadedDog

Reaction score
No question too silly.  There are a couple of other Aussies I know of here, who may like to help out.

I'll try and be serious in my answers (to a point).

Erm.. not that I'm aware of, no. Thought it was called being friendly. I'll stop if it bothers people.

TheLoadedDog said:
Erm..  not that I'm aware of, no.   Thought it was called being friendly.  I'll stop if it bothers people.

Never said it bothered people.  You did imply any question is okay and you do post a lot of threads :p

Some of the threads don't seem like threads, though, more like posts.

Yair. Every message board has a different culture. Still feeling my way around this one. Personally, I'd like to see more people post threads. I come back here after a days sometimes, and nothing seems to have moved. And that's weird, because it's a busy forum.

I will cut back though - I've just noticed the thread count under my username, and compared it to others who have been here much longer. It'a just that, as a relative newbie, I see those word game threads with a thousand pages, and they scare me off. I like the "meatier" threads.

You're cool TheRealCallie. I like you and am scared of you in equal measure. Consider that a compliment.

Sydney rock oysters.

Liparks said:
Is there a career that is unique to Australia, would you do it?

Probably something to do with crocodiles, and no, I only look crazy.

Are the homes really as "cheap" as they show on TV? There's a show in the UK about families who want to move to Australia, and for the price of a standard UK home you can get so much more over there.

9006 said:
Are the homes really as "cheap" as they show on TV? There's a show in the UK about families who want to move to Australia, and for the price of a standard UK home you can get so much more over there.

Don't know where they got that info.   Our housing is some of the most expensive on the planet.   THree wuarters of a million for a crap two bedrom flat in an undesirable suburb.  Most young people are locked out of the housing market.

TheLoadedDog said:
Don't know where they got that info.   Our housing is some of the most expensive on the planet.   THree wuarters of a million for a crap two bedrom flat in an undesirable suburb.  Most young people are locked out of the housing market.

Sounds more like London prices here. But of course on TV for that amount it's a nice 3 bedroom house with a large garden and pool in a respectable place...

Are the scary things with far too many legs really as big out there as it's implied, and do you encounter many of them in homes?

How about koala bears, do you see many and what are they like?

Do your toilets really flush the other way? 

I started watching Zumbo's Just Desserts on Netflix a while back, and they made it sound like he was the Australian Willy Wonka(maybe he is???). Have you ever heard of this?

PurpleStar said:
Are the scary things with far too many legs really as big out there as it's implied, and do you encounter many of them in homes?

The Huntsman Spider.  It's about the size of your hand.  Not venomous though.  They wander into homes now and then.  They like cars for some reason and scuttle about invariably when you're at speed and somewhere you can't pull over.

1394121600000-l2npnaxki1z91ujhon2_t620.jpg

TheRealCallie said:
How many kangaroos have you seen (not at a zoo or some place like that)

Thousands.  Bear in mind though, this was on account of where I lived.  You tend to see them at dawn and dusk.  And yes, a big one can total your car.   Now there would be a large proportion of city dwellers who have only seen them in zoos, or in those special wildlife parks where you can hand feed them puffed wheat.

kaetic said:
How about koala bears, do you see many and what are they like?

Do your toilets really flush the other way? 

I started watching Zumbo's Just Desserts on Netflix a while back, and they made it sound like he was the Australian Willy Wonka(maybe he is???). Have you ever heard of this?

First things first, koalas are not bears.  I have never seen one in the wild.  They are limited to certain small areas, as they are very fussy about the type of leaves they eat.  What are they like? Well kinda..  koala-ish.  It is illegal to pick them up (it stresses them) at wildlife parks in all Australian states except Queensland.  Apparently, when you pick one up, they are suddenly not so cute.  They smell, they're kinda scratchy, and they are fond of urinating on people (everyone's a critic, hey?).

Toilets do not flush the other way.  You speak of the Coriolis effect.  This is a real thing, but a toilet or a sink is too small for it to work.  And yes, of course it was the first thing I tried on my first trip to the Northern Hemisphere.  Very disappointing.  The Coriolis Effect only works on very large scale things like weather systems.  You can see that cyclones in Australia rotate clockwise and hurricanes in America do so anticlockwise.

Never heard of that Zumbo thing, but I am a pop culture failure.  I don't even own a TV.

TheLoadedDog said:
The Huntsman Spider.  It's about the size of your hand.  Not venomous though.

1394121600000-l2npnaxki1z91ujhon2_t620.jpg

Eeek. Had one of these in our garage the other day. Foul disgusting creatures. Thank God we have 3 little lookouts... I mean pet cats. Our cockroaches are enormous too. One of the cats is so smart that he always leaves them on their backs for us to find later. No idea how they reach such a size unnoticed though.

Do magpies really attack people in spring? Has anyone been hospitalised due to an attack?

A magpie intimidated me into giving up my sandwich while I was in a park so I feel like this might be true :D

Latest posts

Back