What is your view of sarcasm?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

erifeulb

I understand what sarcasm is but I don't see any value or benefit to it.

When it's funny it's fun, when it's meant to be mean it's not. LOL a character on a TV show that's on just said "I don't need your sarcasm."

^Lol such timing.

It's funny sometimes, but when it's used in a negative tone then I don't see any necessity for it. Just be straight, ya know?

Ambiguity is power. I see sarcasm used, not always necessarily, to create ambiguity about a person's real thoughts. You can't tell if they mean it or not, so your reaction to their sarcasm reveals information about you they can use to gain power.

It's fine when used sparingly. I find constant sarcasm is just tiresome, though. A straightforward conversation offers more satisfaction than constantly fending off wisecracks.

People hate me. I sarcasm every four seconds. When me and my oldest are together, it's a sarcasm war to rival the Cold one.
That's because we're mean, though. We laugh at others and understand each other with looks only, so it's easy to know what the other is thinking. Usually along the lines of "My god...what a dumbass" 😈

I was a 90's kid. If you ever go and watch cartoons from back then, they're all drenched in situational comedy and sarcasm. So gradually as I got older, because I grew up watching things like Daria, Ren & Stimpy, and shows like Pete & Pete, sarcasm just became my generation of people's natural staple of humor. Calling your sibling a lameface dweeb and punching them in the arm because they lost the television remote in the couch, was a term of endearment. A bowl of popcorn with extra butter 100% followed as a truce. And as always: If somebody broke a lamp by playing ball in the house: "It was him/her!" 😤 👉 👈😤 Is just common sibling pass time. Even shows that came later, like Ed, Edd n' Eddy and That 70's Show, were rife with situational sarcastic comedy. That's also part of why 90's Sam Raimi shows and films were also popular and developed a cult following. Evil Dead 3: Army Of Darkness is hilarious. You don't even have to watch it, you really can just listen to Bruce Campbell talk schtick for 2 hours and it's still funny.

I like it, as long as it's not used with malice......well unless the malice is deserved of course.

Latest posts

Back